Too much Bergamont Oil?

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Jul 16th, '09, 13:50

Too much Bergamont Oil?

by someguyouknow » Jul 16th, '09, 13:50

Hello!

I am still a tea noob so be easy on me please :P

I started my tea adventure with the sampler set of black teas. They were all good but I liked Earl Grey Bravo the most for its citrus flavor. So on my next order, I purchased the larger can of Earl Grey Bravo. But this one tastes different... too much Bergamont Oil. I don't think I can even stomach it.

I also purchased Red Dragon in the same order which has Earl Grey Bravo, Ceylon Sonata, and Irish Breakfast and that one is fairly decent.

So my questions are, 1) anyone else have that experience or is it just me? and 2) what kind of tea would be good to mix with this?
Que?

Jul 16th, '09, 14:47

by kymidwife » Jul 16th, '09, 14:47

I have never had a problem with my Earl Grey Bravo from Adagio, but I had a sample of Extra Bergamot Earl Grey from Upton... it was just too overpowering!

I mixed it half and half with some Twinings Irish Breakfast I was never going to finish, and it turned out very nice. Then I mixed the rest with a partial sample of Adagio's Ceylon Sonata, and it was super-nice. I say try blending it with any basic black tea you have on hand and see if you can make it to the strength you want.

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Jul 16th, '09, 16:56

by someguyouknow » Jul 16th, '09, 16:56

kymidwife wrote:I have never had a problem with my Earl Grey Bravo from Adagio, but I had a sample of Extra Bergamot Earl Grey from Upton... it was just too overpowering!

I mixed it half and half with some Twinings Irish Breakfast I was never going to finish, and it turned out very nice. Then I mixed the rest with a partial sample of Adagio's Ceylon Sonata, and it was super-nice. I say try blending it with any basic black tea you have on hand and see if you can make it to the strength you want.

Sarah
Now that I think about it, I think I might have some Irish and/or English Breakfast left. Its worth a try. I would hate to waste that large can of leaves.

I think I will give it a try. Thanks :)
Que?

Jul 16th, '09, 18:20

by Ebtoulson » Jul 16th, '09, 18:20

I had the same problem with my earl grey bravo from adagio...the first time I had it i seriously almost spit it out. It was extremely bitter. I didn't see why people liked earl grey so much but then I tried some from a different vendor and it was very appealing. I ended up giving it to some of my friends who liked it :shock: . Maybe I just don't enjoy that strong of earl grey or my sample was super spiked. I have yet to order it again.
Seriously it was soo bitter I could barely taste the citrus at the beginning. That's a good idea about mixing it...I normally have a couple ounces of basic ceylon laying around.

Jul 17th, '09, 01:50

by Thirsty Daruma » Jul 17th, '09, 01:50

Early in my tea career I found Twinings' Earl Grey to be a bergamot punch to the mouth. A clever ploy for obscuring the otherwise poor quality of the tea, methinks.

Jul 17th, '09, 04:04
Location: Lat: N 59º 37' 3.79" Long: E 17º 49' 35.49" or thereabouts

by sriracha » Jul 17th, '09, 04:04

I was practically reared on Twinings' but lately I've found the stuff less than fantastic. The tea seems of average quality and so I am looking to try a couple other brands. I just don't know where to start.

Jul 17th, '09, 11:16

by someguyouknow » Jul 17th, '09, 11:16

I was all out of Irish or English Breakfast so I went to Target and bought a tin of "Golden Breakfast" by Archer Farms. Suppose to be a Yunnan tea. It was on sale for about 4 bucks (normally 6) so I am thinking it is close to the expiration date.

Anyways, I mixed it and it worked out quite well. About 60% Golden Breakfast and 40% Earl Grey Bravo.
Que?

Jul 17th, '09, 12:29
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jul 17th, '09, 12:29

Well if you end up liking it, you can go to Adagio and create your own blend of something similar.
:)

Jul 18th, '09, 08:37

by Riene » Jul 18th, '09, 08:37

someguyouknow wrote:I was all out of Irish or English Breakfast so I went to Target and bought a tin of "Golden Breakfast" by Archer Farms. Suppose to be a Yunnan tea. It was on sale for about 4 bucks (normally 6) so I am thinking it is close to the expiration date.
The Archer Farms Golden Breakfast is pretty good tea. We buy it often.

I find that most Earl Grey tea has way too much bergamont for me. Twinning's Lady Grey is a milder variety though, and I will drink that.

+ Post Reply