Things Wholly Unrelated

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Jul 18th, '09, 10:18

Things Wholly Unrelated

by jjb » Jul 18th, '09, 10:18

Hello everyone!

I'm relatively new to teas, but as of yet I've found that the Chinese teas I prefer most are from Fujian, including blacks. So what do you all think of Fujian blacks? From my brief morning perusing of the forum, it seems to me that they're rarely discussed here. I thought I'd bring it up.

For something wholly unrelated:
I just bought this Keemun,* largely because it was really cheap. ($5/4oz) That seemed especially sensible since I've never purchased from EnjoyingTea before. I'm wondering if anyone has had this tea, or, more broadly, if anyone has dealt with this vendor. (A search of the forum warrants a very curt and completely meatless discussion of them.) Perhaps some of the resident ocular experts can read something of its quality from the picture? (There's a zoom feature!)

*coughcough("Keemun... was first produced in 1875 by a failed civil servant, Yu Quianchen, after he traveled to Fujian province to learn the secrets of black tea production.")cough :D
from Wiki

a fan of nonsequitur in a signature,

Jacob.

Jul 18th, '09, 12:21
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Jul 18th, '09, 12:21

Fujian blacks seem not yet to have achieved the name recognition of Keemun or Yunnan Gold, but they are good and there seems to be quite a bit of variety among them.

Thanks for sharing the info about the origins of Keemun in Fujian processing.

As for Enjoying Tea, I have ordered teaware from them once or twice, but never tea.

Jul 18th, '09, 13:40

by shah82 » Jul 18th, '09, 13:40

I would like a good survey of gold-tip and golden fujians as well. Way too many of them are lumped together as fujian (and cocoa(y)) when they can be wildly different. And there is very little standardization among the different tea venders. All of them sell slightly different types of fujian teas, even though there's only like three major types plus some odds and ends, so it's hard to compare.

Jul 18th, '09, 16:40
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Jul 18th, '09, 16:40

shah82 wrote: All of them sell slightly different types of fujian teas, even though there's only like three major types plus some odds and ends, so it's hard to compare.
What are the three major types ... and for that matter the odds and ends?

Jul 19th, '09, 20:21

by shah82 » Jul 19th, '09, 20:21

Oh, I'm not so sure of *types*, per se, but Tanyang, Zhenghe, and Bai Lin. Golden Monkey is typically one of these three. Tanyang is *especially* diverse in flavors depending on where you get it from.

Odds and ends are Ying de and more importantly, the better Lapsang Souchong.

I'm a novice sorta, so if I'm wrong, I'm all ears.

+ Post Reply