The new look, which begs for tweaking

Forum problem solving, rules, contact information

Jul 22nd, '09, 19:38
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: The new look, which begs for tweaking

by Chip » Jul 22nd, '09, 19:38

JP wrote:As suggested I changed the topic title. If y'all don't like that one either then I'll change it again tomorrow. :twisted:
Thanks! :wink:

Things I think I like. The top banner remains stationary while the forum scrolls under it. Pretty slick.

I like that non members cannot view member information and member lists.

Speaking of member lists, there is only one option for sorting. The old way with several options was nice.

Also, not sure if this was mentioned, when in a forum (say Feedback) and viewing a topic, there is no way of going back to Feedback. One has to go back to the homepage/index.

Jul 22nd, '09, 19:49

by Salsero » Jul 22nd, '09, 19:49

Chip wrote: The top banner remains stationary while the forum scrolls under it. Pretty slick.
[/quote] I hadn't even noticed this ... it seems so natural. Very nice indeed.

Jul 22nd, '09, 20:00

by Victoria » Jul 22nd, '09, 20:00

Chip wrote:
JP wrote:As suggested I changed the topic title. If y'all don't like that one either then I'll change it again tomorrow. :twisted:
Thanks! :wink:

Things I think I like. The top banner remains stationary while the forum scrolls under it. Pretty slick.

I like that non members cannot view member information and member lists.

Speaking of member lists, there is only one option for sorting. The old way with several options was nice.

Also, not sure if this was mentioned, when in a forum (say Feedback) and viewing a topic, there is no way of going back to Feedback. One has to go back to the homepage/index.
You can sort by clicking on any of the headings, unless I am mis-understanding you, it seems like even more ways to sort.

I am liking many of the new features. Especially folders in mail. And it seems opening a new folder gives you more total saved message space. It does not seem to be a combined limit. But there may be a new folder limit, I guess.

Some of the sent and opened mail is not moving from the outbox to the sent box, but no big deal right now. It seems the issue is related to quoting.

Jul 22nd, '09, 20:39

by Chip » Jul 22nd, '09, 20:39

Victoria wrote:
Chip wrote: Speaking of member lists, there is only one option for sorting. The old way with several options was nice.
You can sort by clicking on any of the headings, unless I am mis-understanding you, it seems like even more ways to sort.
No, I meant the member list. It is alphabetical only currently, although now one can pick the letter which is a step forward.

The Adavanced Search is icon is back. :D

Jul 22nd, '09, 20:51

by Victoria » Jul 22nd, '09, 20:51

Chip wrote:
Victoria wrote:
Chip wrote: Speaking of member lists, there is only one option for sorting. The old way with several options was nice.
No, I meant the member list. It is alphabetical only currently, although now one can pick the letter which is a step forward.

The Adavanced Search is icon is back. :D
I mean the member lists. I can sort by user name, rank, posts, website, joined. Clicking again reverses the order. Maybe because I am on Firefox?
Or maybe you are not realizing they are clickable?

I have noticed there are several links that are clickable but not underlined. Such as the members online list on the front page.

I wonder if now would be a good time to ask for the "Mark all posts read" button to be moved to the "View New Posts" result page?

Jul 22nd, '09, 20:56

by Chip » Jul 22nd, '09, 20:56

Oh, I see if you click on "find a member" a search page comes up.

As with most things that allow you to do more, they are more complicated.

Jul 22nd, '09, 21:38

Subscription to threads

by Salsero » Jul 22nd, '09, 21:38

Am I the only one who is not receiving notification of new posts? It says I am subscribed to all the threads I used to follow, but I haven't received any emails alerting me to new posts. It seems to me some members had this problem before. Perhaps I have simply joined their ranks.

If that function ever does work for me again, it would be nice to be able also to subscribe to entire forums.

Of course, the thread title gets repeated in glorious bold lettering with each new post to a thread unless you change or delete it.

Also, it used to be possible to see what forum you were in at the top of the page but now you don't know where you are when reading a post.

Live chat doesn't open in its own page anymore.

Jul 22nd, '09, 22:27

Re: Subscription to threads

by coloradopu » Jul 22nd, '09, 22:27

Salsero wrote:Am I the only one who is not receiving notification of new posts? It says I am subscribed to all the threads I used to follow, but I haven't received any emails alerting me to new posts. It seems to me some members had this problem before. Perhaps I have simply joined their ranks.

If that function ever does work for me again, it would be nice to be able also to subscribe to entire forums.

Of course, the thread title gets repeated in glorious bold lettering with each new post to a thread unless you change or delete it.

Also, it used to be possible to see what forum you were in at the top of the page but now you don't know where you are when reading a post.

Live chat doesn't open in its own page anymore.

yes yes yes

also i do not own tea chat but i still would like to have the new post show up first so i do not have to click to the end

Jul 22nd, '09, 22:35

by pb2q » Jul 22nd, '09, 22:35

Chip wrote:Things I think I like. The top banner remains stationary while the forum scrolls under it. Pretty slick.
This is one thing that I don't like. I agree that it looks slick, but it kills too much screen real estate.

Jul 22nd, '09, 22:36

by pb2q » Jul 22nd, '09, 22:36

Also I'm really having a hard time getting used to avatar on the right -->

Jul 22nd, '09, 22:49

by coloradopu » Jul 22nd, '09, 22:49

update user control panel has what i need thanks i fixed my problem

tea chat rules

Jul 23rd, '09, 00:40

by scruffmcgruff » Jul 23rd, '09, 00:40

pb2q wrote:
Chip wrote:Things I think I like. The top banner remains stationary while the forum scrolls under it. Pretty slick.
This is one thing that I don't like. I agree that it looks slick, but it kills too much screen real estate.
Agreed, I've never really been a fan of stationary objects on a page. There are some benefits, but there are lots of buttons in the new layout that take you back up to the top of the page quickly, if you really need something up there.

The screen real estate issue is especially important now that everything else seems to take up more space than it used to.

Jul 23rd, '09, 01:02

by Chip » Jul 23rd, '09, 01:02

scruffmcgruff wrote:
pb2q wrote:
Agreed, I've never really been a fan of stationary objects on a page. There are some benefits, but there are lots of buttons in the new layout that take you back up to the top of the page quickly, if you really need something up there.

The screen real estate issue is especially important now that everything else seems to take up more space than it used to.
Funny, the banner blocked a mod function that I use every evening for moving the new TeaDay from an admin area to TeaDay forum. I was not a happy camper. This however is a glitch.

I do see your points however. But the banner is not a dead zone either. I believe Adagio added this to their site as well, not sure if it is still there. But not sure how I feel about it now.

Jul 23rd, '09, 01:42

by LaybackPandas » Jul 23rd, '09, 01:42

it's sucksssssssssssssssss it's so laggyyyy and sloowwww. :|

Jul 23rd, '09, 01:44

by bcos » Jul 23rd, '09, 01:44

I'm really sorry if I missed someone else pointing this out.

I miss the ability to see the original poster when looking at the overall forum view (eg. Green Tea forum).

+ Post Reply