Chilli tea?

These teas can resemble virtually any flavor imaginable.

Sep 26th, '06, 06:00

Chilli tea?

by Bex » Sep 26th, '06, 06:00

I have not come across this before, but I was wondering, does it exist? I cant imagine I would like it very much, I think it might destroy the tea. But apparently it has claim to work well in hot chocolate, so I was just wondering. Does anyone know more?

Sep 26th, '06, 09:28

by klemptor » Sep 26th, '06, 09:28

If you find out, I'd love to try it.
I came in from the wilderness, a creature void of form.

Sep 26th, '06, 10:03

by Bex » Sep 26th, '06, 10:03

I cannot find (after a brief search) any chilli tea other than something that does not contain any tea itself, rather, the ingredients are:

Liquorice, cocoa shells, spearmint, fennel, anise, ginger, peppermint, nettle, chili pepper 2%, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, black pepper.

And its description is thus:

This unique and delicious infusion is sure to make your heart sing and your feet dance. It is inspired by the Mexican tradition of combining chocolate with spices and chili....blended with a dash of chili to lift the spirits and awaken vitality while Fair Trade cacao shells provide the flavour and aroma of chocolate.
Enjoy every sip of this tea as the flavours curl playfully around your mouth and let it warm your inner being like the friendly Mexican sun...

Do you think it is something that could be made by oneself? Is anyone brave enough to try and report back?

Sep 26th, '06, 12:21

by klemptor » Sep 26th, '06, 12:21

Most of the ingredients look easy to obtain. I don't know about nettle, chilip pepper 2% (it's the 2% I'm wary about), and cocoa shells.

Sounds like an herbal chai, in a way!

Sep 27th, '06, 12:51

by Madam Potts » Sep 27th, '06, 12:51

Sure - I'll try it...

and I can m ake it with a black tea base

Klemptor is right - it's bascially a chai

A mexican-inspired Chai...
Madam Potts

Custom Tea Blends and other Mad Ideas...
www.madpotsoftea.com

Sep 27th, '06, 15:39

by PlantFan » Sep 27th, '06, 15:39

I've had chocolate dessert made with chili pepper. It's not hot but it adds an interesting kick. Mmm... that dessert was delicious! I've also had a chocolate beer with pepper. Same thing. This tea sounds pretty good. I'd try it.

Sep 29th, '06, 07:18

by Bex » Sep 29th, '06, 07:18

Did you have any luck Mad Pots?
I think this is one of those things where curiosity is going to get the better of me and I shall have to try it also.

Bex

Sep 29th, '06, 14:24

by Madam Potts » Sep 29th, '06, 14:24

Bex - I will be blending this next week (I have all but the licorice). I will post the result and send you a sample - just send me an email with your address. madpotsoftea@aol.com

Madam Potts
www.teaguru.blogspot.com
Madam Potts

www.madpotsoftea.com

Sep 29th, '06, 14:42

by klemptor » Sep 29th, '06, 14:42

Mad Pots - I'd love a sample too, if it's not too burdensome. If I email you my address, can you send me a sample as well?

Oct 3rd, '06, 11:28

by Madam Potts » Oct 3rd, '06, 11:28

sure - just send me an email with your address to:
madpotsoftea@aol.com
Madam Potts

www.madpotsoftea.com

Oct 3rd, '06, 11:57

by Bex » Oct 3rd, '06, 11:57

Did you get round to the creating stage yet Mad Pots?

:)

Oct 6th, '06, 10:49

by Madam Potts » Oct 6th, '06, 10:49

Ok, so I tried it last night...and it's strangely interesting..like a Licorice Chai...I would say FINALLY -- a tea that goes well with Mexican food - as I have never found anything for that (and I make a lot of quesadillas!)

I then tried it this morning on my 9 block walk to the subway...

The taste and smell are very unique....surely a love it or hate it type of blend. If you're adventuresome you'll try it.

As for myself, I like it.

It is an infusion. The recipe contains no tea. Now that I have tried it twice for what it is, I will now play further with the recipe to see what I find in its variations.
Madam Potts

www.madpotsoftea.com

Oct 6th, '06, 11:21

by Bex » Oct 6th, '06, 11:21

How interesting indeed.

And how interesting to have it at breakfast time too! Has it made you feel awake and ready for the day?

As you say, this is an infusion. I wonder how it would taste with tea included in the blend.

Did the chilli shine through or did it stand out from the other ingredients at all? Or was it lost in the mix?

I think I could use something to liven me up a little, its been raining here all day!! :shock:

Oct 6th, '06, 11:48

by klemptor » Oct 6th, '06, 11:48

Sounds like it would go well with a veggie omelet!

Oct 9th, '06, 21:00

once more

by Madam Potts » Oct 9th, '06, 21:00

Wow Klemptor - that's exctly it! It is good enough to eat! Smells like something you would add to a mexican dish ....

I added more chili powder which influences the taste, the color and definitely the aroma, but doesn't dominate unnecessarily. NOTE: any spice will go through the tiniest mesh strainer so expect some in your cup!

The chili tea is growing on me -- I really like this blend and what with all the licorice/fennel/anise and warm spices - this is sure to be an excellent blend to help the body cope in the cold winter weather.

I tried with a single state Assam which took away from the intricate complexities of this "Mexi-chai"

I tried a second time with the Assam and added more licorice root and chili powder which worked better -- you really need the licorice in there. Side by side - I still choose the infusion.

samples on their way!
Madam Potts

www.madpotsoftea.com

+ Post Reply