Wednesday TeaDay 7/29/09 Check out TeawareArtisans?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Have you CHECKED OUT the TeawareArtisans' teaware lately, SHOPPED their sites, BOUGHT anything?

Yes, yes, YES
37%
Yes, Yes, no
29%
Yes, no, no
11%
No, no, NO
17%
Been meaning to get around to it
6%

Total votes: 35

Jul 29th, '09, 01:26
Scrolling: scrolling

Wednesday TeaDay 7/29/09 Check out TeawareArtisans?

by Chip » Jul 29th, '09, 01:26

Hello and welcome TeaFans to TeaDay where you can share what is in your cup throughout the day.

Yesterday we discussed "Bad TeaDays." You can still vote and discuss yesterday's topic.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. Have you CHECKED OUT the TeawareArtisans' teaware lately, SHOPPED their sites, BOUGHT anything? Please share with us.

TeawareArtisans Forum!

I am looking forward to sharing this TeaDay with everyone.

Taste a new tea if you like, like a new tea that you taste!

Jul 29th, '09, 02:03

Re: Wednesday TeaDay 7/29/09 Check out TeawareArtisans?

by Maitre_Tea » Jul 29th, '09, 02:03

I've perused their shops and I've come close to buying something. Most recently I was looking for a Chawan; but I was unsure of the dimensions they had. I was adhering myself strictly to the guide on Chamekke's blog, so I was cautious about getting something too wide or too tall. Now that I have my first Chawan, I think I have a better sense of what to look for in a Chawan, and hopefully I'll buy one from them soon...

Oh yes, I would've bought one from Cory in a heartbeat, but the price...too high for me. I will have one of his wares in my possession. Maybe I'm a little too keen on having my tea-ware fit certain traditional artistic categories (is it bizen-yaki, hagi-yaki, karatsu-yaki, etc.).

Jul 29th, '09, 02:45

by Chip » Jul 29th, '09, 02:45

Yes, yes and YES! I am awaiting these greenies from ColoradoPu or Rat Dog Pottery. I have seen his works evolve in the short time he is here on TeaChat including experimenting in size and styles. I was pretty excited to swoop on these.

ColoradoPu/Rat Dog Pottery

He is very open to suggestions as are many of the TeawareArtisans.

Jul 29th, '09, 03:09

by Geekgirl » Jul 29th, '09, 03:09

Heh. TeawareArtisans is just another plot to separate me from my money. I have to admit it's working quite efficiently. :lol:

Jul 29th, '09, 03:23

by olivierco » Jul 29th, '09, 03:23

Have you CHECKED OUT the TeawareArtisans' teaware lately, SHOPPED their sites, BOUGHT anything?
Yes, no and no.

A nodate, a tray and a matcha sifter from Kaikado and canisters are still on my list. I might buy another houhin (if I can find a really nice Kyoyaki one different from those I already own) and some yunomi though.

Otsuusan sencha this morning.
Last edited by olivierco on Jul 29th, '09, 04:28, edited 2 times in total.

Jul 29th, '09, 04:19

by Salsero » Jul 29th, '09, 04:19

Yes, yes, and no

One of Cory's chawan some day maybe if I can ever decide which one! And I have flirted with special ordering a tea boat from Matt Brown, but so far no sale.

Yes, there really is tea in this photo ... the Jin Fo in in the fair pitcher in the left background (and inside the pot too, of course).

Jul 29th, '09, 05:44

by Drax » Jul 29th, '09, 05:44

No, no, and no... though I suppose it's technically no, yes, and no. I looked through the threads a lot initially and even went to a couple of the main sites, but I haven't looked through that area of the forum lately. I enjoyed looking at all the beautiful artistry, though.

This morning, I am continuing with an anxi oolong. I am a little concerned about my kombucha, a new batch of which I started two days ago. There's a cluster of black particles in a blobby sack, which I'm not sure if it's remnants from the tea I soaked or what. I noticed something similar on the last batch. I think it might be from having used a mixture of gunpowder (green tea) and keemun rhapsody.... hmmm.

Jul 29th, '09, 06:19

by clareandromeda » Jul 29th, '09, 06:19

yes I've bought my 2 owl yunomis and a chawan from Cory, 2 chawans from Bill (Splitfire) and a chawan from zygote. I'm seriously sweating Cory's new chawans but am broke :(

edit: and I'm totally sweating ShyRabbits new pieces as well!

Jul 29th, '09, 08:58

by Aphroditea » Jul 29th, '09, 08:58

It is very hard not to let that forum put me in the poor house! I have had to do some sly budgetting so that I have a bit of cash put aside for when kilns get opened! Also, I have put in a special order with Bill (T-session) - it is a bit of an experiment all around, so you will all just have to wait a few months to see if/how it turns out!

Beautiful stuff these guys are doing and I LOVE to watch all the experiments with shapes, colors, and throwing and firing techniques. One of the things I am most fascinated by is how so much of the glazing and firing process is in the hands of the 'kiln gods'! How unplanned and random beauty occurs behind those closed kiln doors!! The whole process is beautiful - In fact, I am thinking I will take a pottery class in the Fall or Winter :)

Jul 29th, '09, 09:09

by Chip » Jul 29th, '09, 09:09

OK, technically I have now bought from 4 different of our TeawareArtisans. As mentioned, ColoradoPu, and also ChicagoPotter/Chris Chaney , Moss Beach/Matt Brown, and Cory Lum.
Some Yunomi from Moss Beach, I am anxiously awaiting for Matt to create some smaller pieces! :wink:

Moss Beach/Matt Brown

Jul 29th, '09, 09:50

by Chip » Jul 29th, '09, 09:50

I am expecting Ericka of ElmStudios to make a topic! She has been a member for several months and I just discussed with her participation in TeawareArtisans as I know others have as well. (this would make 5 for me then 8) )

Began the TD with Yamata Shincha from Rishi, a fukamushi-cha. Very nice, mellow, sweet and a tad toasty, nutty. SweeTea liked the toasty brew while Wulong and TEAh still paid most attention to Fuji.

Jul 29th, '09, 11:07

by depravitea » Jul 29th, '09, 11:07

Nope, never really checked it out.

This morning Ali Shan.

Jul 29th, '09, 12:25

by leiche2 » Jul 29th, '09, 12:25

Yes, yes, and technically no, unless you count the time I only paid shipping for a lovely yunomi from chicagopotter. It's not for lack of coveting, though! Student budget, argh.

Experimenting with some cold-brewed green kukicha today, because I've apparently lost all ability to deal with the heat--and it's only 83°F!

Jul 29th, '09, 12:28

by Victoria » Jul 29th, '09, 12:28

Yes, yes, YES. I have bought from both Cory and Fred Parker and of course Erika at Elm Studios IF she ever makes it over here!!! I have checked out a couple others, and will eventually give in to my weakening resistance.

In my cup this morning Tea Masters Baozhong.

Have a nice day everyone!

Jul 29th, '09, 14:27

by olivierco » Jul 29th, '09, 14:27

Karigane gyokuro in a few minutes.