Pu-erh.. old-fashioned?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Oct 10th, '06, 19:37

Pu-erh.. old-fashioned?

by Bex » Oct 10th, '06, 19:37

Lately I have been spending my tea drinking mostly on a lovely pu-erh cake I bought whilst I was in China. I am enjoying it VERY, very much indeed and find the 3rd and 4th wash of it the best.

Today I went into the (supposedly good) tea shop I often go to in London (England). I asked whether they had any pu-erh blocks/cakes as there were none on display. I thought that as it is a small shop, perhaps they dont have space for displaying it. I was quite upset to hear the shop assistant tell me that Pu-erh is 'old-fashioned' and not very popular. I am not aware that this should be the case.

To be honest - i dont think it was ever 'fashioned' here in London, so I dont know how it could be 'old-fashioned'.. (anyone is welcome to prove me wrong). She irritated me a little and so I told her that this was a shame and they should do something about it.. she half mumbled 'yes' whilst looking in the other direction.

What is the situation with this in the US - or anywhere else for that matter? I am hoping to buy some more pu-erh - but it looks like I will have to get it from one of the fantastic and much more helpful online sources..

Oct 11th, '06, 05:26

by jogrebe » Oct 11th, '06, 05:26

Its the same thing in my area, there is one tea shop at the farmer's market and the very knowledgeable owner had never heard of puerh before I mentioned it to her. In my experience if you want to find good puerh or should I say any puerh you have to shop online.
John Grebe

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~C. S. Lewis

Oct 11th, '06, 14:23

Pu erh in usa

by lebowitz » Oct 11th, '06, 14:23

I searched in Chinatown New York City, surely there must be good pu erh there? But I found very little, one chinese grocery had many varieties of what looks like lower cost loose pu erh (cheap price) and one $6 cake of pu erh the only one I found in New York City, have not tried it yet. Turns out there is one tea shop on the edge of chinatown that may sell pu erh but I did not find the shop.
Looks like the ones on ebay are the best and a few others online.
I thought London must have some good tea shop after all you all started the whole tea craze way back in the 1500's.

Oct 20th, '06, 05:17

puerh in USA

by bearsbearsbears » Oct 20th, '06, 05:17

Varies by region in the US. In Los Angeles, pu'er is just starting as a fad at a teahouse in West Hollywood catering to superstar clientele. Most other teahouses only have cooked loose or mini-tuocha. Chado Teahouse has one or two cakes. Chinatown offers a few cooked cakes.

Tao of Tea in Portland sells quite a few cakes.

But, as Jogrebe says, it's online or nothing for most of us--especially for variety.

Nov 25th, '06, 02:18

yep

by hop_goblin » Nov 25th, '06, 02:18

Same here .. Diddo

Nov 25th, '06, 11:02

by MarshalN » Nov 25th, '06, 11:02

Actually, the Chinese started the tea craze some 2000 years ago, or more.

Nov 25th, '06, 12:47

craze

by lebowitz » Nov 25th, '06, 12:47

not in england and the us till the 1600's

Nov 26th, '06, 09:12

by MarshalN » Nov 26th, '06, 09:12

I know, but that's a little Eurocentric, isn't it? :) After all, the Japanese, Koreans, people in the Middle East and Central Asia, etc all caught on to tea by then, before the Brits started drinking it. People devoted their life to study the drink. Can't say there wasn't a crazy already --- so the Brits hardly "started" it.

1600 -- North America did not even have a single permanent colony in 1600, never mind the existence of the US.

Nov 26th, '06, 12:20

westerners

by lebowitz » Nov 26th, '06, 12:20

I realize that my point is that if it was not for the western traders us europeans would not have found out about tea, at least not till much later.

Nov 28th, '06, 07:26

by bearsbearsbears » Nov 28th, '06, 07:26

MarshalN wrote:I know, but that's a little Eurocentric, isn't it? :) After all, the Japanese, Koreans, people in the Middle East and Central Asia, etc all caught on to tea by then, before the Brits started drinking it. People devoted their life to study the drink. Can't say there wasn't a crazy already --- so the Brits hardly "started" it.

1600 -- North America did not even have a single permanent colony in 1600, never mind the existence of the US.
pu'er is so old-fasioned. it's some Song dynasty shiznit, H-E-double-hockey-sticks this dank tea is tired. Even Russia was drinking pu'er half a millenia ago. Everybody better modernize...i'll do you all the favor of taking this passe tea off your hands, the older the better. Back in WeHo we ghost it retro, yo.

~j

Dec 8th, '06, 11:03

by MarshalN » Dec 8th, '06, 11:03

bearsbearsbears wrote: pu'er is so old-fasioned. it's some Song dynasty shiznit, H-E-double-hockey-sticks this dank tea is tired. Even Russia was drinking pu'er half a millenia ago. Everybody better modernize...i'll do you all the favor of taking this passe tea off your hands, the older the better. Back in WeHo we ghost it retro, yo.

~j
Heh, the historian in me just can't let that one go.

Dec 14th, '06, 09:17

by sjschen » Dec 14th, '06, 09:17

bearsbearsbears wrote: pu'er is so old-fasioned. it's some Song dynasty shiznit, H-E-double-hockey-sticks this dank tea is tired. Even Russia was drinking pu'er half a millenia ago. Everybody better modernize...i'll do you all the favor of taking this passe tea off your hands, the older the better. Back in WeHo we ghost it retro, yo.

~j
Wow... that was well composed...

Dec 29th, '06, 01:48

by EvenOdd » Dec 29th, '06, 01:48

Puerh is the only way I rollllll, son. Green, oolong, black can make like a tea tree and leave. I got spinners on my gaiwans and lights on my tea tray. Grills on my yixing and platinum for my canisters. Far east side, represent.

Enjoy.

Jan 11th, '07, 02:19

by deadfingers » Jan 11th, '07, 02:19

EvenOdd wrote:Puerh is the only way I rollllll, son. Green, oolong, black can make like a tea tree and leave. I got spinners on my gaiwans and lights on my tea tray. Grills on my yixing and platinum for my canisters. Far east side, represent.

Enjoy.
So there is another just like me! :shock: :lol: Haha, that's awesome. Man I really want to try Pu-Erh, this paycheck I might go by a brick or cake.

Jan 13th, '07, 16:59

by tomvyn » Jan 13th, '07, 16:59

PuEhr is da best and with ageing getting better. So - old? Yeah! Old-fashioned? Who cares :lol: ?
I'm on my way of starting tea-business in England (it'll take some time ;o), but if you're here in England, I suppose, we should be able to make some cooperation possible. So if you're interested, just gimme a shout (email, icq) and let's talk about it.
What we're talking about are PuEhrs from China and lots and lots of another teas from China, TaiWan, Vietnam, India,.. everything's possible. Even teaware and stuff.

so, bottoms up & PuEhr for ever!

+ Post Reply