Aug 11th, '09, 11:30

Re: Moss Beach Ceramics - Matt Brown (Moss) - Ceramics pics

by Moss » Aug 11th, '09, 11:30

Monk's cups. Good question.

Yes that is a work in progress. I have a 1-2 month lead time on ideas with life intruding as it does. (3rd birthday, ceramics class final, work, web development projects...) I wanted to do some small and run them through the process and I didn't have any of that clay body out.

Also... it seems that the ones I have been selling as Monk's cups had a glaze that I had messed up somehow to its benefit. I have mixed a new batch and it is totally different. I sort of like it better, but it is not the same texture or feel so I don't know quite what I am going to do. I will certainly be testing another batch and experimenting, but for now, the form will be available in black with white flashes, it won't be that texture.

The new ones look more like the AV I Have here now. Interesting but not the same.
Last edited by Moss on Aug 11th, '09, 11:32, edited 1 time in total.

Aug 11th, '09, 11:31

by Moss » Aug 11th, '09, 11:31

Chamekke. Thank you very much. I like the image too. I wasn't sure how it would be recieved. I hope you enjoy it very much. Will get it out to you this morning.

Aug 11th, '09, 11:32
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Aug 11th, '09, 11:32

Glad to hear you are firing again! And smaller pieces to boot. :wink:

I too am looking forward to seeing more.

Aug 11th, '09, 11:37

by Moss » Aug 11th, '09, 11:37

Thanks Chip. I did one load last month, but no time to photo so I sat on them and refired a bunch as that was the firing from hell. I didn't think that the pressure gauge was working so I never fiddled with it. Well I stalled at 1800*f for three hours and nothing worked so I tried it as a last resort while I happened to be in reduction with the dampers mostly closed. The gas went from 2lbs to 7lbs before I figured out it was working and my back was to the kiln so I turn around and there were 40' of flames shooting up out of the mostly closed damper, a huge cloud of black smoke, flames coming out all the cracks and peep holes... It looked like a plane crash. Very funny in retrospect...

Anyway, it was so late that I couldn't soak the kiln and it messed up a lot of stuff that wanted to be refired.

This time round was a perfect firing in every way except some loose crap in the kiln that blew into a couple cups that I will need to grind and refire again. No biggie.

Aug 11th, '09, 15:53

by Mrs. Chip » Aug 11th, '09, 15:53

Moss wrote:Thanks Chip. I did one load last month, but no time to photo so I sat on them and refired a bunch as that was the firing from hell. I didn't think that the pressure gauge was working so I never fiddled with it. Well I stalled at 1800*f for three hours and nothing worked so I tried it as a last resort while I happened to be in reduction with the dampers mostly closed. The gas went from 2lbs to 7lbs before I figured out it was working and my back was to the kiln so I turn around and there were 40' of flames shooting up out of the mostly closed damper, a huge cloud of black smoke, flames coming out all the cracks and peep holes... It looked like a plane crash. Very funny in retrospect...
Oh my, the word picture of that is horrifying. I'm glad you are okay, however, the poor pieces. :cry:

Very anxious to see your new creations.

Aug 11th, '09, 21:10

by woozl » Aug 11th, '09, 21:10

Can't wait to see the new stuff :wink:

Aug 12th, '09, 11:03

by Moss » Aug 12th, '09, 11:03

Someone here asked to see all the pics and I haven't had time to list them all on etsy so I put them all up in Picassa.

Last three are of the chawans for Teance.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mossbeachce ... 5C-gayVVg#

Aug 12th, '09, 14:52

by Chip » Aug 12th, '09, 14:52

Great looking pieces, Matt!

Aug 12th, '09, 15:16

by bonjiri » Aug 12th, '09, 15:16

Moss wrote:Someone here asked to see all the pics and I haven't had time to list them all on etsy so I put them all up in Picassa.

Last three are of the chawans for Teance.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mossbeachce ... 5C-gayVVg#
matt

wonderful new yunomi

love the organic forms with finger marks and the cool footrings

aloha
c

Aug 12th, '09, 18:07

by woozl » Aug 12th, '09, 18:07

Luvin' it :wink:
Nice feet.

Aug 14th, '09, 11:11

by Mrs. Chip » Aug 14th, '09, 11:11

Wow, beautiful stuff, I really like your color choices. :wink:
The sizes look perfect for green teas.

Aug 22nd, '09, 10:44

by Moss » Aug 22nd, '09, 10:44

Hey all. There is a nice treasury on Etsy featuring teabowls. Several of us here are included. Thought it might be interesting. There is some really nice work profiled.

http://www.etsy.com/treasury_list.php?room_id=77673

Aug 22nd, '09, 14:00

by Victoria » Aug 22nd, '09, 14:00

Great, thanks! Nice treasury!

Dec 2nd, '09, 19:37

by Moss » Dec 2nd, '09, 19:37

Hi all. Just a quick update. I have a couple shows here in the Bay Area this week. On Saturday, I am at the German International School Weinachtmarkt in Mountain View from noon to 6. http://www.gissv.org/index_english.php? ... ID=&navID= And I will be on sale at the Theater Gallery at Skyline College from the 8th to the 10th. http://www.smccd.edu/accounts/skygallery/

Doing a few new things with new glazes in reduction that are going in today and will be at the Skyline sale.

The soda kiln is still down. We are going to repair it this month or more probably next month.

I also have my first crop of teapots done. All about one to two cups. All pour nicely. Glazing didn't work so well, but if anyone wants to see pics to give advice on what they like, I am open to that.

Everyone have a great holiday!

Feb 9th, '10, 12:41

by Moss » Feb 9th, '10, 12:41

Hi all! Been a while, but I didn't have anything new to post with the holidays and kids and colds and all. I now have some new items in my store at etsy http://www.etsy.com/shop/MossBeachCeramics that include some guinomi and a couple chawan.

Also I am happy to say I have my first functional teapot. 8 ounces and unfinished clay interior so the pot can season. It isn't a mature work and I am not loving the glaze yet, but excited that it works, pours, looks good structurally and there will be a lot more.

On a sad note, I don't know when if ever I am going to get my soda kiln back up and running. It it has been a hard winter for it and sadly it needs to be totally rebuilt and I can't convince the other owners to move on it.

Thanks for the time and hope the new year is treating everyone well.

+ Post Reply