Jun 28th, '05, 02:23

Can someone tell me what a tea press is for?

by newbie » Jun 28th, '05, 02:23

I was checking out some teapots with tea presses saying it would stop the brewing process without taking out the infuser out. It doesn't make sense to me, can someone please explain it to me? There are also teapots with plastic or stainless steel infusers. Stainless steel sounds better, but would the mesh filter in the plastic ones be finer so the smaller tea particles wouldn't get through? I didn't consider any with a glass infuser because I assume the holes are larger on the glass ones and wouldn't work well with rooibos. Am I right? I already own an ingenuitea, but want to add a glass teapot to my collection. Please help! Thank u much!!

Jun 28th, '05, 10:07

by chris » Jun 28th, '05, 10:07

Thanks for the post.

A tea press works the same way as the "french press" associated with coffee (it usually is a french press, actually): the tea leaves are pushed to the bottom of the pot, separating them from the water. I don't recommend this, as it usually produces bitter tea.

Plastic infusers may not be the best -- you have to make sure that it is good quality plastic (like the ingenuitea, which is highest quality food grade plastic). When plastic is heated, it can add unwanted flavor, as well as some nasty chemicals. Stainless steel infusers are better, but still impart some weird metallic flavors. Glass infusers are good, but the holes are usually too big for some of the smaller teas (as you mentioned).

Probably the best infuser for you (since you already have the ingenuitea) is the Mikado Gold. Gold infusers impart no flavor, and the mesh is fine, allowing for a leaf-free infusion. Here is the link:

http://www.adagio.com/teaware/mikado_gold_teapot.html

Hope this helps,

Chris
Adagio Maestro

Jul 6th, '05, 19:51

by mel » Jul 6th, '05, 19:51

Is the infuser on the Mikado Gold teapot as fine as the one in the ingenuiTEA?
Mel

Jul 7th, '05, 10:44

by chris » Jul 7th, '05, 10:44

Mel--

Thanks for the post.

Pretty much the same, yes (both are definitely fine!).

Hope this helps,

Chris
Adagio Maestro

Sep 6th, '05, 12:59

by Bergamot » Sep 6th, '05, 12:59

I was under the impression that squeezing the tea released tannins, which make the tea sour and bitter.

Sep 6th, '05, 13:05

by chris » Sep 6th, '05, 13:05

That is correct!

Squeezing is indeed not recommended, unless it is with that special someone... Then, still try not to squeeze too hard (or more than tannins will be released).

Chris
"Special Someone" Maestro

+ Post Reply