Oct 19th, '06, 15:20

Travel presses (help!)

by jadanzzy » Oct 19th, '06, 15:20

Hi all,

I'm desperate to find a great travel press. I've gone through a Bodum travel press to much dismay, with it not being able to screw on properly after a while and the press letting too many particles through the sides (at least for me).

Does anyone personally have any experience with a good travel press?

Thanks!

Dan

p.s. I took a look at the tiger teas one.

Oct 29th, '06, 20:18

by Amanda » Oct 29th, '06, 20:18

Rather than buying a press, I've been relying on teabags when I travel (such as the ones at Adagio), and dealing with the strange faces I get when ordering hot water wherever I go. My husband used to mock me, but now he's grown used to it and simply rolls his eyes.

Good luck!

-Amanda
-Amanda

Oct 30th, '06, 00:07
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Oct 30th, '06, 00:07

Amanda wrote:Rather than buying a press, I've been relying on teabags when I travel (such as the ones at Adagio), and dealing with the strange faces I get when ordering hot water wherever I go. My husband used to mock me, but now he's grown used to it and simply rolls his eyes.

Good luck!

-Amanda
Amanda,
I used to do this all the time too but grew tired of the puzzled looks...I became rather self conscious I guess. It just became easier to drink the house tea...which is not my cuppa tea.

Seriously, how do you order the water...after a while I would buy a cup of tea and use my tea as a sort of compromise???

Oct 30th, '06, 07:34

by Samovar » Oct 30th, '06, 07:34

I also use tea bags when I travel. I just order hot water with the tea bag on the side. Then I steep my own tea bag. (They just couldn't understand the need for hot water alone). :roll:

Teatime

Oct 30th, '06, 09:08

by Amanda » Oct 30th, '06, 09:08

Seriously, how do you order the water...after a while I would buy a cup of tea and use my tea as a sort of compromise???
I say I'd like a cup of hot water, but to feel free to charge me for the price of the tea. I'm slowly beginning to care less about what other people think - I'm sure the counter person really dosn't give it a second thought, so why should I? Besides, maybe it will get them to think twice about the tea they are offering :wink:

-Amanda
resident bad ass :roll:

Oct 30th, '06, 23:31

by Chip » Oct 30th, '06, 23:31

Well I am glad I am not the only tea fanatic out there doing this!!! Amazingly, I never saw anyone else doing it.
Sometimes though, I feel it's a little like bringing my own food to the restuarant. 8)

Amanda, how many aliases do you have??? "Resident bad ass"... :lol: I guess you need to be a little bad to the bone to bring your own bags to restuarants.

Chip
"Self conscious in PA"

Oct 31st, '06, 11:50

by bambooforest » Oct 31st, '06, 11:50

I say I'd like a cup of hot water, but to feel free to charge me for the price of the tea. I'm slowly beginning to care less about what other people think - I'm sure the counter person really dosn't give it a second thought, so why should I? Besides, maybe it will get them to think twice about the tea they are offering :wink:

-Amanda
resident bad ass
Interesting corespondence here. I've been visiting the bamboo forest and sitting many long hours trying to come to a conclusion on this subject. After reading the posts I think the best option is to order the tea and ask for the tea bag on the side. Then, utlize your own tea bag. This way, it's very easy and understandable. If you ask for just hot water you will just perhaps confuse the heck out of the server. I bought some tea bags recently and I would like to visit starbucks every once in a while - primarily to people watch / atmosphere. And, naturally, if I use their facility to sit and so forth, naturally I have to pay for it...... So, my plan now is I will just ask for the tea bag on the side. Ah, finally a good solution thanks to the wisdom of others.

I admire your mastery Amanda not to be self conscious about asking just for hot water. I will surely utilize the procedure of teatime. I think that is good middle ground.

Oct 31st, '06, 14:09

by klemptor » Oct 31st, '06, 14:09

I always say "hot water for tea, please." Most of the time I don't get a problem.
I came in from the wilderness, a creature void of form.

Oct 31st, '06, 14:42

by Chip » Oct 31st, '06, 14:42

klemptor wrote:I always say "hot water for tea, please." Most of the time I don't get a problem.
Klemptor,

With those feline eyes of yours, they would not dare deny you whatever you ask!!!

But, don't they even flinch or ask if you want a tea bag???

That is a pretty good method...

Nov 1st, '06, 10:29

by klemptor » Nov 1st, '06, 10:29

Sometimes I get the uncertain "...just the water? No teabag?" To which I reply, of course, by whipping out an individually wrapped realiTEA and saying, "I've got my own teabag."

Because I = the height of cool.
I came in from the wilderness, a creature void of form.

Nov 1st, '06, 10:56

by Chip » Nov 1st, '06, 10:56

klemptor wrote:Sometimes I get the uncertain "...just the water? No teabag?" To which I reply, of course, by whipping out an individually wrapped realiTEA and saying, "I've got my own teabag."

...that is hysterical...but I guess effective too!!!

Nov 1st, '06, 12:17

by bambooforest » Nov 1st, '06, 12:17

Klemptor wrote:
Sometimes I get the uncertain "...just the water? No teabag?" To which I reply, of course, by whipping out an individually wrapped realiTEA and saying, "I've got my own teabag."

Wow, I would feel very weird if I did this. I admire your confidence and lack of self consciousness. Kudos to you.

Nov 2nd, '06, 13:06

by LavenderPekoe » Nov 2nd, '06, 13:06

I have even done this at a bar. The bartender didn't even flinch and just said sure and handed me a mug of hot water.
Teas for trade:

Jan 11th, '07, 21:08

by wyardley » Jan 11th, '07, 21:08

chip wrote:
Amanda wrote:Rather than buying a press, I've been relying on teabags when I travel (such as the ones at Adagio), and dealing with the strange faces I get when ordering hot water wherever I go.
I used to do this all the time too but grew tired of the puzzled looks...I became rather self conscious I guess. It just became easier to drink the house tea...which is not my cuppa tea.

Seriously, how do you order the water...
I've done this before without too many strange looks. Just did it in NY at a pretty "normal" diner type place and didn't get a weird look. In addition to the adagio bags, you can either try to get a whole pot of water and put the leaf in there, or get those little bags that you can fill yourself (I just noticed today that Peets seems to carry them).

This guy built himself a little tea kit in a briefcase:
http://www.pu-erh.net/static.php?StaticID=10

While that's a little obsessive, I was thinking that a scaled down version for travel might not be so bad (just a gaiwan, pitcher, couple of cups, and some little tins of tea).

Jan 11th, '07, 21:48

by Chip » Jan 11th, '07, 21:48

wyardley wrote:
This guy built himself a little tea kit in a briefcase:
http://www.pu-erh.net/static.php?StaticID=10

While that's a little obsessive, I was thinking that a scaled down version for travel might not be so bad (just a gaiwan, pitcher, couple of cups, and some little tins of tea).
...oh my gosh...lol...he is the 007 of tea.

That is absolutely amazing. Obviously a lot of though and effort went into putting it together. I bet he doesn't get through security with it as a carry on at the airport...I would not want to check this in at the airport. it would get lost for sure.

+ Post Reply