Aug 8th, '09, 19:18
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Little Pig Tea pots & Other addictions

by Chip » Aug 8th, '09, 19:18

BTW, I have been enjoying watching your slab works in progress and completed items. Very organic look to them, quite unique! If I may say so, almost leathery looking. Very kool.

Aug 17th, '09, 17:06

by Littlepig2 » Aug 17th, '09, 17:06

I know I promised to post some more on my hedge apple fascination earlier this month but my studio is not ready yet for picture taking. Maybe later this week I can get my photography act together. Meanwhile I do have a couple images of my slab dragonfly tea cups and thought I would post a them now. Image They are made from white stoneware slab and decorated with cobalt carbonate dragonflies under a shino glaze. They are reduction fired of course. Both are also fairly generous in size--holding a good 14 -15 ounces each. They are almost a teapot unto themselves. Image

Aug 17th, '09, 17:07

by Littlepig2 » Aug 17th, '09, 17:07

Chip wrote:BTW, I have been enjoying watching your slab works in progress and completed items. Very organic look to them, quite unique! If I may say so, almost leathery looking. Very kool.
Thank you Chip

Aug 23rd, '09, 11:29

by Littlepig2 » Aug 23rd, '09, 11:29

Welcome back to my Hedge apple thoughts. Here is an image from the under side of the tree. It is of a young hedge apple fruit--still growing and still too small to get a good sized mold from. Yet I just had to take the trip and reconnect with these children--the trees and their fruit. It seems to me that they are dark and green like certain teas & certainly are good inspiration for making vessels that hold tea. Image
I have had difficulties though & I have been taking my time thinking about what the problem is. Perhaps it is my insistence on combining the form and texture of the hedge apple to wheel thrown elements.Image
I think you will agree that the foot on this is much too severe for the bowl.
For Pouring ImageI have also done pouring vessels which I thought were more successful but again I am not quite satisfied with the result. This is why it has been a couple years since I have done much of any thing with the hedge apple form. I figured it was one of those artistic detours and little else. I am not so sure of that now and have decided that I shall have to re visit the hedge apple this fall. I'll let you know how it goes.
Last edited by Littlepig2 on Aug 25th, '09, 09:28, edited 1 time in total.

Aug 23rd, '09, 11:36

by Victoria » Aug 23rd, '09, 11:36

That bowl is great, really nice. But yeah the foot is over powering. Not sure it even needed a display foot, it's just nice on its own. Is there no way to re-work a piece? Cut it off - attach a new and refire? Just wondering.

The sheep are adorable. :)

Aug 23rd, '09, 13:37

by Geekgirl » Aug 23rd, '09, 13:37

I love the little hedge apple (sheep?)! How big are they? They look like they'd be suitable for sake!

Aug 24th, '09, 18:26

by Littlepig2 » Aug 24th, '09, 18:26

Victoria wrote:That bowl is great, really nice. But yeah the foot is over powering. Not sure it even needed a display foot, it's just nice on its own. Is there no way to re-work a piece? Cut it off - attach a new and refire? Just wondering.

The sheep are adorable. :)
Thank you Victoria--yes those critters (which is what I called them) probably are sheep!

As to reworking a new foot onto an already fired piece--nah. I shall just re start the form again fresh from the moist clay.

Aug 24th, '09, 18:34

by Littlepig2 » Aug 24th, '09, 18:34

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:I love the little hedge apple (sheep?)! How big are they? They look like they'd be suitable for sake!
Wow. . . Sake . . . of course but small ones as they only hold about 12 ounces. And now I must play with the making of little cups too!

Aug 25th, '09, 08:03

by Aphroditea » Aug 25th, '09, 08:03

I agree with Victoria - the cup is beautiful, but the foot is a bit overpowering. I actually like how it is titled a bit, though - very unique!

The critters are too adorable for words!! I love the black one - would make a very unique water pitcher, too.

The whole idea of using the hedge apple for these is so wonderful :)

Sep 20th, '09, 08:32

Little Pig Hedge Apple Bowls

by Littlepig2 » Sep 20th, '09, 08:32

Hi Ho!
I am pleased to announce my kiln opening this week as the first of my hedge apple bowls have made it through their glaze firing. The kiln is gas and was fired to cone 10. Image The bowls and cups are temouku lined with layered ash exterior glaze. The foot on this one is pinched then carved. The bowl holds about 6 ounces. Image You will find more views in my Flickr account http://www.flickr.com/photos/littlepigpottery/ I am listing them this week end at http://www.littlepigpottery.com in the hedge apple category. Here is a link that goes directly to a sister bowl to the one pictured above. http://www.littlepigpottery.com/product ... b40da0298a

Sep 20th, '09, 11:24

by Dreamer » Sep 20th, '09, 11:24

What a delight...I love the surprise contrast between the inside and the outside!

Thanks for sharing with us!

Dreamer

Sep 20th, '09, 12:13

Re: Little Pig Hedge Apple Bowls

by Mrs. Chip » Sep 20th, '09, 12:13

Littlepig2 wrote:Hi Ho!
I am pleased to announce my kiln opening this week as the first of my hedge apple bowls have made it through their glaze firing. The kiln is gas and was fired to cone 10.
Wooza!!!!!! Beautiful, in fact drop dead gorgeous!

+ 1 on Dreamer's comments, just love 'em ... I checked out your links. :wink: Great pieces.

Sep 21st, '09, 00:32

Re:

by Tead Off » Sep 21st, '09, 00:32

clareandromeda wrote:well that is interesting, I saw baseball stitching because I am completely obsessed with baseball. Sort of reinforces the fact that we see nothing with virgin eyes. The viewer contributes to a piece just like the artist does. Joe Torre of the Dodgers now drinks green tea all game long in the dugout....so there is a connection!
Good thing you are near Yankee Stadium. I'd love to see a Yankee/Dodger World Series! Go Dodgers (was born in Brooklyn :D )

Sep 21st, '09, 00:43

by Chip » Sep 21st, '09, 00:43

Around here, I think those hedge apples are called Osage Oranges, not a citrus but highly aromatic. They seem to grow along the country roads more than anywhere else.

But great imitation of nature for your bowls! They look awesome!

Sep 21st, '09, 02:12

by Victoria » Sep 21st, '09, 02:12

Beautiful bowl, congrats! I know you were working at them for awhile. I hope to see more of them!

+ Post Reply