Trying to open a tea spot in Indonesia

Trends and Tips on developing and operating a tea business.

Trying to open a tea spot in Indonesia

Postby Semut » Aug 30th, '09, 05:05

Hi everybody...
My name is Anton, a college student in Surabaya, Indonesia...

I'm planning to start a tea spot business in Indonesia cause I haven't found one yet...

I like tea, and now I'm trying to find more info bout kinds of tea.
Now I'm checking tea chat everyday to learn more bout tea, and hopefully it can help me in my new business...

Can you guys please give me some advice for this tea spot ?
Something like kinds of tea I should sell, or any information of tea seller.
Please, any opinion will be a very big help for me...
Thanks a lot. :D
Semut

Re: Trying to open a tea spot in Indonesia

Postby Herb_Master » Aug 30th, '09, 05:44

I think it depends on your target market, just who do you expect to be buying the tea. Being so close to Malaysia I would have assumed that there are sizeable Chinese populations. In Malaysia there are lots of tea shops in the Chinatown areas, I am surprised if this is not the case in Indonesia, perhaps this is more true of Sumatra than it is of Java.

Research shows that the majority of Indonesian chinese came originally from Fujian and Guangdong, in which case you should stock a good range of Oolongs.
Herb_Master

Postby Semut » Sep 1st, '09, 05:42

Herb_Master wrote:
Research shows that the majority of Indonesian chinese came originally from Fujian and Guangdong, in which case you should stock a good range of Oolongs.

Yep, correct. Chinese population is a dominant in Indonesia, especially Surabaya city. Although we (I'm a chinese too.. ^-^) are not a majority, chinese plays important part in developing business growth.

So you're saying that most of Fujian and Guangdong people usually drinks Oolongs right ?? Thanks for the advice, and the information about Malaysian tea supplier... It's very useful.. Thanx a lot !!

More advice are always welcome guys..
Semut

Postby betta » Sep 5th, '09, 13:56

Hi Anton, welcome to teachat.
I would suggest you first to find out what kind of teas are drunk mostly in your area. Kind of like a marketing survey on what teas are drunk by which level of society. Furthermore defining your marketing object will help you to narrow the criteria of teas you should search.
Oolong and green teas are well-known to have been accepted and drunk by major population in Asia. Here in Europe, black teas have been drunk for centuries.
I won't suggest you to adopt the malaysians' tea preference for marketing in Indonesia, simply because they are unique or very "developed" when it comes to tea like China, Japan and Korea.
Most of the malaysian friends I know on teachat are very experienced tea drinker. Some even have kind of a private warehouse of pu at home.
So better to test the water...
betta

Instant Messenger

Permissions