Official Pu of the day


One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Re: Pu of the day

Postby apache » Aug 30th, '09, 19:04

thanks wrote:Wait, why do the spent leaves look like that??

I'm trying to understand your question. I think may be it wasn't a proper gaiwan, the leaves don't have much room to expand. Hope that answer your question.
User avatar
apache
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Apr 11th, '
Location: UK

Re: Pu of the day

Postby Salsero » Aug 30th, '09, 19:11

In addition to the unopened shape of many leaves, they look awfully dark in color like a shu might look. Of course, that could be a photographic issue rather than a tea issue, but if they are actually that dark it may indicate something about the processing.

I really enjoyed the review, by the way, especially the photos. Thank you!
User avatar
Salsero
 
Posts: 5214
Joined: Dec 21st, '
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Re: Pu of the day

Postby apache » Aug 30th, '09, 19:23

Salsero wrote:In addition to the unopened shape of many leaves, they look awfully dark in color like a shu might look. Of course, that could be a photographic issue rather than a tea issue, but if they are actually that dark it may indicate something about the processing.

I really enjoyed the review, by the way, especially the photos. Thank you!


Thanks for reading my review. Now I understand the question about the spent leaves. Yes, this could well be a photographic issue, I think next time I would put the leaves in a bowl of water and take picture under sun light.
User avatar
apache
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Apr 11th, '
Location: UK

Re: Pu of the day

Postby thanks » Aug 30th, '09, 19:36

I should have been more specific, but yes I was only referring to the color of spent leaves. Was there a bit of red throughout the spent leaves?
User avatar
thanks
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Mar 31st, '

Re: Pu of the day

Postby apache » Aug 31st, '09, 12:08

thanks wrote:I should have been more specific, but yes I was only referring to the color of spent leaves. Was there a bit of red throughout the spent leaves?
Here is a "better" picture (now I know how to do it properly). I would say nothing unusual.
Image
User avatar
apache
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Apr 11th, '
Location: UK

Re: Pu of the day

Postby Salsero » Aug 31st, '09, 12:29

apache wrote: Here is a "better" picture (now I know how to do it properly). I would say nothing unusual.
Image
Wow, not just better but spectacular! I see only a little red oxidation marks on these leaves.
User avatar
Salsero
 
Posts: 5214
Joined: Dec 21st, '
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Re: Pu of the day

Postby shogun89 » Aug 31st, '09, 14:54

Looks good. thanks for the review!
User avatar
shogun89
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15th, '
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Pu of the day

Postby 808Hawaiian59 » Sep 1st, '09, 05:10

I have question, is red oxidation good or bad for sheng Pu-erh??
User avatar
808Hawaiian59
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Aug 3rd, '0
Location: Maui, Hawaii

Re: Pu of the day

Postby Salsero » Sep 1st, '09, 09:17

As I understand it, red marks indicate oxidation as a result of bruising the leaf, similar to what is done to produce oolong or black tea. Too much can push the tea toward being more like a black tea, cover up deficiencies in the leaf, improve its young drinkability (at least for the uninitiated) and reduce its potential to age well. The liquor of tea that has been pushed in this direction will tend to be more orange and less yellow. I don't know if the producer does this on purpose or by accident.

It's a matter of degree, however, rather than a cut and dried distinction. Most sheng has a little red. The liquor and leaves of your Menghai YiWu ZhengShan look fine to me. That is exactly all I know and it may not be 100% accurate.
User avatar
Salsero
 
Posts: 5214
Joined: Dec 21st, '
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Re: Pu of the day

Postby 808Hawaiian59 » Sep 1st, '09, 11:01

Salsero wrote:As I understand it, red marks indicate oxidation as a result of bruising the leaf, similar to what is done to produce oolong or black tea. Too much can push the tea toward being more like a black tea, cover up deficiencies in the leaf, improve its young drinkability (at least for the uninitiated) and reduce its potential to age well. The liquor of tea that has been pushed in this direction will tend to be more orange and less yellow. I don't know if the producer does this on purpose or by accident.

It's a matter of degree, however, rather than a cut and dried distinction. Most sheng has a little red. The liquor and leaves of your Menghai YiWu ZhengShan look fine to me. That is exactly all I know and it may not be 100% accurate.


Mahalo Salsero....That's good enough for me :!: :!: :)
User avatar
808Hawaiian59
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Aug 3rd, '0
Location: Maui, Hawaii

Re: Pu of the day

Postby brandon » Sep 1st, '09, 18:18

I didn't dig through the leaves of "Master Wang's" 2006 raw sheng for red, but it tasted much more of Hong Cha than Hei Cha. It could be an intentional move by his greatness, as he is the inventor of several styles of puerh.
User avatar
brandon
 
Posts: 1539
Joined: Sep 25th, '

Re: Pu of the day

Postby Drax » Sep 1st, '09, 18:23

This redness being different from the rusty redness/darkness that develops from many years of aging (and looks more chocolatey brown once brewed). Uh, or so I gather...
User avatar
Drax
 
Posts: 2554
Joined: Oct 16th, '
Location: Arlington, VA

Re: Pu of the day

Postby Intuit » Sep 1st, '09, 20:56

The redness being a function of chlorophyll breakdown (from mechanical leaf damage oxidation during rolling??), similar to deciduous tree color change in autumn as sap is withdrawn and leaves harden off from moisture loss.
Intuit
 
Posts: 981
Joined: Dec 17th, '

Re: Pu of the day

Postby wyardley » Sep 1st, '09, 21:37

Some people like to accuse some pu'er vendors of "doctoring" the tea by intentionally oxidizing it to make it more drinkable now. So you'd get some sweetness and oolong-like flavors, and a darker color tea broth.

In some cases, the oxidation is unintentional - traditional style processing or rougher handling, or badly done kill-green.

Either way, I think many people consider it a flaw for a newly made sheng pu'er to show a whole lot of oxidation. I don't know enough to have a personal opinion about it.
User avatar
wyardley
 
Posts: 1920
Joined: Jan 11th, '
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Pu of the day

Postby apache » Sep 2nd, '09, 14:19

A very short review
My first Xiaguan: 2008 Xiaguan XY "8853" Recipe Raw Pu-erh
Drink this today at work: 7g of leaves, 170ml Yixing Zini.
After 2nd infusion, the tea open up. It was smashing!
Very different style from Menghai Tea Factory Dayi.
I cannot get enough of this stuff and now I know why T S is that keen on Xiaguan.
User avatar
apache
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Apr 11th, '
Location: UK

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation