A good black for iced tea?

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Jul 12th, '05, 09:43

A good black for iced tea?

by slax0r » Jul 12th, '05, 09:43

I've been into loose leaf hot tea for quite a while now, but I've never considered making my own iced tea from it until now. I'm curious as to what is a popular black to make iced tea with.

I've got an old can of Sea of Gold Ceylon. Amazing how you find things when you finally decide to clean. It's probably past its shelf life but I made a cup the other day and it wasn't terrible. Would this work for iced tea?

Also, Earl Grey Iced Tea? Yes or no?

Thanks in advance.

Jul 12th, '05, 09:54

by jzero » Jul 12th, '05, 09:54

You can ice anything. Try different things and see what tastes good to you.

I don't particularly like iced Earl, but I know a number of people who do.

I also think you can't go wrong with fruit-flavored black and grean teas on ice.
They Call Me Jzero

Jul 15th, '05, 23:59

by PeteVu » Jul 15th, '05, 23:59

I personally dont like iced tea, but when i have company over, i make a couple and the one that usually goes first is the jasmine iced tea. It smells wonderful and has a really distinct, cool, and summery taste.
There are four advantages to green tea... Its beauty, its taste, its aroma, and its health benefits. Learn to enjoy the first three and you'll forget you drank it for the fourth. ^^

Jul 16th, '05, 00:18

by teaspoon » Jul 16th, '05, 00:18

Nilgiri is a nice black tea when iced. And I agree that fruit flavored black teas are always winners as iced teas :).
"My sister and I have this wish before we die...
Tea in the Sahara with you."
~The Police, "Tea in the Sahara"

I am the size of 1 tsp.

Aug 26th, '05, 20:03

Re: A good black for iced tea?

by Ric » Aug 26th, '05, 20:03

slax0r wrote:I've been into loose leaf hot tea for quite a while now, but I've never considered making my own iced tea from it until now. I'm curious as to what is a popular black to make iced tea with.

I've got an old can of Sea of Gold Ceylon. Amazing how you find things when you finally decide to clean. It's probably past its shelf life but I made a cup the other day and it wasn't terrible. Would this work for iced tea?

Also, Earl Grey Iced Tea? Yes or no?

Thanks in advance.
Hi slax0r,

I find that Assam teas make the best iced tea for the color and taste. But if the looks of the iced tea doesn not matter to you (like my favorite tea is Darjeeling, but it looks to light after iced), you can ice any tea. Oh yea, please keep it unsweetened! :wink:

Flavored teas are good to ice too! Yummy! (also unsweetened! :wink: )

In God's Grace,
Ric

Sep 5th, '05, 10:47

loose tea

by ang » Sep 5th, '05, 10:47

Indian Assam and China Keemun make really good iced teas. Rooibos is good if you want something herbal. That's my hubby's fave!

Oct 28th, '05, 15:42

by Daniel S » Oct 28th, '05, 15:42

I'm normally not a flavored tea fan, but Oriental Spice iced is really good.

Dec 20th, '05, 23:50

by john » Dec 20th, '05, 23:50

I ice anything I've gotten in bags from the store. Since it is brewed concentrated, then diluted, then poured over ice, and then sometimes sugared; I can't bring myself to give premium loose teas that kind of treatment.

Suprisingly my favorite for iced is Twinings English Breakfast. It's funny because I find the stuff wretched while its hot.

Jan 6th, '06, 14:05

by rhpot1991 » Jan 6th, '06, 14:05

I ordered a nice big tin of ceylon sonata, it is good iced by itself and it mixes rather well with the adagio herbal teas. Personally I prefer any of the fruit teas, mostly herbal as black teas are my least favorite. I also find that making iced tea is a good way to rip through all your old tea bags that you may want to get rid of.

-John

Jan 6th, '06, 22:21

Iced Tea

by WillWork4Tea » Jan 6th, '06, 22:21

Hi slax0r,

I am a huge fan of Tazo Awake when served iced. This tea has a very smooth taste and a wonderful aftertaste that lingers for a half hour or more after drinking. It's sold loose-leaf if you prefer, but is much easier found in tea bags.

I'm looking around for a better iced tea, but so far nothing else competes with it.

All the best,

WillWork4Tea

Jan 7th, '06, 19:27

by Lux Aeterna » Jan 7th, '06, 19:27

Assam would probaly be my first choice as far as iced goes...but im a huge fan of darjeeling and find that a good 2nd flush or atumnal make for an enjoyable drink as well. Green teas can be great iced as well...but usually go with something lighter with a more fruity flavor note.

+ Post Reply