Feedback on my online tea business

Trends and Tips on developing and operating a tea business.

Feedback on my online tea business

Postby JAS-eTea Guy » Jul 10th, '09, 11:40

Hi all,
Many of you know that I have started a new online tea business. [Moderator edited, see post below for link]
The site is really new and I am still evolving it so I would appreciate any feedback on the look and feel of the site. I have received some great feedback from a number of folks and have tried to evolve it within the limitations and constraints that hosting it through amazon creates.

Thanks in advance for all of your thoughts and ideas.

Best regards,
Steve
JAS-eTea Guy

Postby Artemis » Jul 10th, '09, 11:59

I think the home page navigation needs some work. It almost looks like you're only selling six teas because the links are so small and ambiguous. I'd make it very clear which sections of the site are "tea" "teaware" and "education."
Artemis

Postby JAS-eTea Guy » Jul 11th, '09, 22:05

Artemis wrote:I think the home page navigation needs some work. It almost looks like you're only selling six teas because the links are so small and ambiguous. I'd make it very clear which sections of the site are "tea" "teaware" and "education."

I think you are exactly right. I need to contact Amazon and see how to change the size on the fonts for the menu areas. Currently, the widget in the template does not provide and option to change this. Thanks for the feedback!

Steve
JAS-eTea Guy

Re: Feedback on my online tea business

Postby teaisme » Jul 30th, '09, 17:21

Hum...
I noticed that almost everything you have is out of stock.
I also noticed that almost ALL of your goods are from eBay stores at higher prices.
What do you offer that I can not buy for cheaper on eBay?
I understand you are trying to make money but if you really want nice profits a niche must be found.
What can you offer me that other sites can not?
teaisme

Postby gingkoseto » Jul 31st, '09, 14:16

churng wrote:Hum...
I also noticed that almost ALL of your goods are from eBay stores at higher prices.
What do you offer that I can not buy for cheaper on eBay?
I understand you are trying to make money but if you really want nice profits a niche must be found.
What can you offer me that other sites can not?

I think it's normal that a non-ebay online store charges more than ebay stores, because the operational costs is higher than that of ebay stores, and for some reason many people never want to buy from ebay stores but are ok with other online stores (I don't know why though).

As for the website, Steve, I think it helps to use better, professional-level photos. Your current photos are already better than many other places, but with all other costs paid for a website, maybe professional-level photos with more view of each tea (infusion color, closer view of leaves...) will pay off well.
gingkoseto
Vendor Member

Postby JAS-eTea Guy » Sep 13th, '09, 10:35

Thanks to everyone for the valuable feedback. I have taken your feedback and lots of other feedback very seriously and decided to host my tea site in a different environment. I was just too limited by the constraints of the amazon.com engine.

So, here is the location of the new tea site: www.JAS-eTea.com
I think that you will find it to be a significant improvement over the previous site.

Thanks again for your outstanding feedback!

Best regards,
Steve
JAS-eTea Guy

Postby brandon » Sep 20th, '09, 18:11

Your site actually looks really nice, Steve.

But you have not answered the question above as to why someone would pay more than the established vendor where you sourced all of your products. I know you had to pay shipping already to bring it in, and I don't think the prices are unfair - but I would be very interested to see more US puerh vendors with diverse offerings.
brandon

Postby Victoria » Sep 20th, '09, 18:19

Nice looking site! Nice closeup shots, which are always appreciated.
Good luck!
Victoria

Postby teaisme » Sep 21st, '09, 16:07

A nice step up from your previous site. The information sections are nice and the pictures are better, but perhaps instead of borrowing and using other peoples photos you could take your own. I think making the backgrounds the same, along with the teawares used to brew in the pics the same, makes it seem more professional. More like you actually tried out what you are trying to sell under controlled parameters. The pictures should be same level of zoom for each tea, as well as the same number. Not just one pic for one tea, and another tea with 4 pics with all different angles/zoom. Maybe one dry leaf, one during, and one after ?
I actually like your green, and oolong sections not because of the tea per say , but because you narrowed down your selection to just a few. Are those the particular teas that you personally like?

You never answered my question in the above post, even though it was more a question for you then me. The question still stands though.

Maybe here is half an answer...as related to my comment about the pics above...
My store is different from just buying on ebay directly because...
A: I (or group of people, lets say your 'specialized tea panel') personally brew and test teas from numerous sources, then only sell the ones that we find very pleasing. So I am taking some of the guessing out the the buying.

I realize by doing this your selection of pu would be a little less, but quality over quantity, especially when you are starting out new.
I also realize that a smart person would look at your recommendations, then go onto ebay and buy them for cheaper.

Just trying to get some ideas spinning in your head.
Good luck!
teaisme

Postby JAS-eTea Guy » Sep 21st, '09, 19:16

brandon wrote:Your site actually looks really nice, Steve.

But you have not answered the question above as to why someone would pay more than the established vendor where you sourced all of your products. I know you had to pay shipping already to bring it in, and I don't think the prices are unfair - but I would be very interested to see more US puerh vendors with diverse offerings.

Thanks for the feedback, Brandon.
You have an extremely good point and I have adjusted prices to meet ebay prices. I guess that for a moment I forgot my original motivation for starting the business: to get more people acquainted with fine tea, particularly pu-erh tea.

Pu-erh prices have all bee adjusted. Let me know if you see something cheaper.

Thanks for bringing me back to reality and reminding me of my goals and objectives.

Best regards,
Steve
JAS-eTea Guy

Postby JAS-eTea Guy » Sep 21st, '09, 19:26

gingko wrote:
churng wrote:Hum...
I also noticed that almost ALL of your goods are from eBay stores at higher prices. Fixed based on recent inventory arrival.

As for the website, Steve, I think it helps to use better, professional-level photos. Your current photos are already better than many other places, but with all other costs paid for a website, maybe professional-level photos with more view of each tea (infusion color, closer view of leaves...) will pay off well.

Excellent suggestion! My initial efforts were focused on getting the inventory up on the site. Now, I would like to go back and fill in the descriptions area with pics of dry leaves, wet leaves and infusions of teas on the actual description page. I will also be replacing the tea pics with some better pics as time permits.

Hey churng -
Thanks for taking the time to provide some feedback. I appreciate it very much.

Thanks again for the great feedback!
Sincerely,
Steve
JAS-eTea Guy

Postby silverneedles » Sep 21st, '09, 22:00

you're the guy from B&B right?

what does it mean when you have a 25g yunnan black that i addtocart 4 of, but i cant choose the 100g
do you have 100g of it ?

how is shipping calculated?

can you get some keemun/qimen :)
silverneedles

Postby JAS-eTea Guy » Sep 22nd, '09, 17:48

silverneedles wrote:you're the guy from B&B right?

what does it mean when you have a 25g yunnan black that i addtocart 4 of, but i cant choose the 100g
do you have 100g of it ?

how is shipping calculated?

can you get some keemun/qimen :)

Hi -
Yes, I am the guy from B&B.
Regarding the black tea: The answer to your question is that it means you have caught me in a configuration challenge. I had the tea packaged in 25 gram and 50 gram quantities. It appears that I did not indicate that 50 gram quantities were available. In addition, since I am pretty sure that I did not have it prepackaged in 100 gram quantities, I should not be indicating that it is an option. However, you should be able to buy two 50 quantity bags. Did that make any sense?

Well, at any rate, thanks for pointing out what I am sure will not be the last configuration error. I will get that fixed.

As for the keemum, I enjoy that tea very much. I will look into getting some into the inventory.

Best regards,
Steve

Moderator Edited
JAS-eTea Guy

Instant Messenger

Permissions