Flushing pu erh bricks

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Flushing pu erh bricks

Postby AlTeavious » Nov 10th, '06, 08:35

I have a question about flushing when applied specifically to a piece broken of a pu erh brick. Are we just trying to flush the surface of the brick or are we trying to flush the individual leaves as well? The surface can be flushed in a few seconds bu to get to the individual leaves you would need to wait for the piece to break up and would probably loose some tea in the process. Thoughts/Suggestions?
AlTeavious

Postby MarshalN » Nov 18th, '06, 14:54

The idea is, more or less, to clean the tea a bit. If you have a whole unbroken piece.... it's a good idea usually to break it into smaller bits before brewing. After that, a 5 seconds flush is good enough.
MarshalN

Postby Chip » Nov 18th, '06, 17:11

MarshalN wrote:The idea is, more or less, to clean the tea a bit. If you have a whole unbroken piece.... it's a good idea usually to break it into smaller bits before brewing. After that, a 5 seconds flush is good enough.

Hey MarshalN...welcome back stranger and resident pu-erh authority! :wink:

I know the primary purpose for flushing pu-erh is to cleanse the tea. But does it serve a second purpose to also "wake the leaves" as with oolong???

Is pu-erh also flushed with hot water as with oolong?

Chip
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby MarshalN » Nov 19th, '06, 03:09

Heh, yeah, haven't been back for a while

I think it does serve the purpose of waking the leaves. With puerh though.... there's often a lot of gunk on the leaves, so best to wash it out first.
MarshalN

Postby deadfingers » Jan 29th, '07, 21:44

Hmm, so I finally got my bricks in the mail. My first infusion tends to be somewhat bitter and the latter ones tend to smooth out. I guess I should break off a piece and "flush" it for 5 seconds? then try another full infusion?
deadfingers

Postby bearsbearsbears » Jan 30th, '07, 11:16

deadfingers wrote:Hmm, so I finally got my bricks in the mail. My first infusion tends to be somewhat bitter and the latter ones tend to smooth out. I guess I should break off a piece and "flush" it for 5 seconds? then try another full infusion?

try more like 15-20 seconds, more if it's really compressed. 5 seconds is a bit quick. some people in Taiwan only fill their gaiwan/pot halfway full with water for the flush, and though i'm not sure why this is done, it's worth experimenting :)
bearsbearsbears

Postby Phyll » Jan 31st, '07, 15:16

bearsbearsbears wrote:
deadfingers wrote:Hmm, so I finally got my bricks in the mail. My first infusion tends to be somewhat bitter and the latter ones tend to smooth out. I guess I should break off a piece and "flush" it for 5 seconds? then try another full infusion?

try more like 15-20 seconds, more if it's really compressed. 5 seconds is a bit quick. some people in Taiwan only fill their gaiwan/pot halfway full with water for the flush, and though i'm not sure why this is done, it's worth experimenting :)

I've been filling my pot/gaiwan halfway for the flush -- on pu'er and oolongs. I don't see any reason why more water would affect the quality of the rinsing process. Any reason this might not be ideal?
Phyll

Postby bearsbearsbears » Feb 1st, '07, 05:31

Phyll wrote:I've been filling my pot/gaiwan halfway for the flush -- on pu'er and oolongs. I don't see any reason why more water would affect the quality of the rinsing process. Any reason this might not be ideal?

I dunno. I just figure the more water, the more room the tea has to unfurl and wake up, but all the teas I had washed by half did just fine, so...I have no opinion until I fiddle around with it myself!

~j
bearsbearsbears

Pu erh washing

Postby lebowitz » Feb 3rd, '07, 00:46

I just drink mine, never clean it, after all it is wrapped up how dirty can it be?
lebowitz

Instant Messenger

Permissions