Flushing pu erh bricks

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Nov 10th, '06, 07:35

Flushing pu erh bricks

by AlTeavious » Nov 10th, '06, 07:35

I have a question about flushing when applied specifically to a piece broken of a pu erh brick. Are we just trying to flush the surface of the brick or are we trying to flush the individual leaves as well? The surface can be flushed in a few seconds bu to get to the individual leaves you would need to wait for the piece to break up and would probably loose some tea in the process. Thoughts/Suggestions?

Nov 18th, '06, 13:54

by MarshalN » Nov 18th, '06, 13:54

The idea is, more or less, to clean the tea a bit. If you have a whole unbroken piece.... it's a good idea usually to break it into smaller bits before brewing. After that, a 5 seconds flush is good enough.

Nov 18th, '06, 16:11
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Nov 18th, '06, 16:11

MarshalN wrote:The idea is, more or less, to clean the tea a bit. If you have a whole unbroken piece.... it's a good idea usually to break it into smaller bits before brewing. After that, a 5 seconds flush is good enough.
Hey MarshalN...welcome back stranger and resident pu-erh authority! :wink:

I know the primary purpose for flushing pu-erh is to cleanse the tea. But does it serve a second purpose to also "wake the leaves" as with oolong???

Is pu-erh also flushed with hot water as with oolong?

Chip

Nov 19th, '06, 02:09

by MarshalN » Nov 19th, '06, 02:09

Heh, yeah, haven't been back for a while

I think it does serve the purpose of waking the leaves. With puerh though.... there's often a lot of gunk on the leaves, so best to wash it out first.

Jan 29th, '07, 20:44

by deadfingers » Jan 29th, '07, 20:44

Hmm, so I finally got my bricks in the mail. My first infusion tends to be somewhat bitter and the latter ones tend to smooth out. I guess I should break off a piece and "flush" it for 5 seconds? then try another full infusion?

Jan 30th, '07, 10:16

by bearsbearsbears » Jan 30th, '07, 10:16

deadfingers wrote:Hmm, so I finally got my bricks in the mail. My first infusion tends to be somewhat bitter and the latter ones tend to smooth out. I guess I should break off a piece and "flush" it for 5 seconds? then try another full infusion?
try more like 15-20 seconds, more if it's really compressed. 5 seconds is a bit quick. some people in Taiwan only fill their gaiwan/pot halfway full with water for the flush, and though i'm not sure why this is done, it's worth experimenting :)

Jan 31st, '07, 14:16

by Phyll » Jan 31st, '07, 14:16

bearsbearsbears wrote:
deadfingers wrote:Hmm, so I finally got my bricks in the mail. My first infusion tends to be somewhat bitter and the latter ones tend to smooth out. I guess I should break off a piece and "flush" it for 5 seconds? then try another full infusion?
try more like 15-20 seconds, more if it's really compressed. 5 seconds is a bit quick. some people in Taiwan only fill their gaiwan/pot halfway full with water for the flush, and though i'm not sure why this is done, it's worth experimenting :)
I've been filling my pot/gaiwan halfway for the flush -- on pu'er and oolongs. I don't see any reason why more water would affect the quality of the rinsing process. Any reason this might not be ideal?

Feb 1st, '07, 04:31

by bearsbearsbears » Feb 1st, '07, 04:31

Phyll wrote: I've been filling my pot/gaiwan halfway for the flush -- on pu'er and oolongs. I don't see any reason why more water would affect the quality of the rinsing process. Any reason this might not be ideal?
I dunno. I just figure the more water, the more room the tea has to unfurl and wake up, but all the teas I had washed by half did just fine, so...I have no opinion until I fiddle around with it myself!

~j

Feb 2nd, '07, 23:46

Pu erh washing

by lebowitz » Feb 2nd, '07, 23:46

I just drink mine, never clean it, after all it is wrapped up how dirty can it be?

+ Post Reply