Sep 28th, '09, 15:25
Scrolling: fixed

Re: Show Off Your Pots and Cups XI

by Intuit » Sep 28th, '09, 15:25

Well, I wondered if there was a teashop selling that particular potters wares in your area, Oni. The site webpage gave a photo of a similar looking pot to the one pictured here, so I poked around to see what they had - quite impressive.

Scott never ceases to amaze me. Very resourceful and enterprising.

Horaido teashop would be magical to visit.

Sep 28th, '09, 18:54

by cupioneer » Sep 28th, '09, 18:54

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Tead off: I agree for the most part about Hojo, but his markup is insane. I was kicking myself for getting a Masaki pot from him, because a month afterward, I noticed Horaido selling the exact same pot for less than half the price. Unfortunately, his temple is the only source for mumyoi yaki that I've been able to find. I did see those Ken pots. Problem is, I'm not sure what kind of tea I'd use with them.

Oni: I did get the Jitsuzan pot from Horaido. It performs exactly like my Tachi Masaki pot, so it's probably made from the same or very similar clay.

Sep 28th, '09, 23:49

by Tead Off » Sep 28th, '09, 23:49

cupioneer wrote:Thanks for the comments, guys.

Tead off: I agree for the most part about Hojo, but his markup is insane. I was kicking myself for getting a Masaki pot from him, because a month afterward, I noticed Horaido selling the exact same pot for less than half the price. Unfortunately, his temple is the only source for mumyoi yaki that I've been able to find. I did see those Ken pots. Problem is, I'm not sure what kind of tea I'd use with them.

Oni: I did get the Jitsuzan pot from Horaido. It performs exactly like my Tachi Masaki pot, so it's probably made from the same or very similar clay.
The Hojo-God demands more of your offerings, for sure. There is some overlap with other vendors who sell the same things for less, but, he has certain agreements with the potters where he gets more of it and a more diverse lineup. Artistic Nippon told me most of the Masaki Banko go to him, especially the smaller sizes. These potters really are doing everything by hand not by factory. I like getting the blessings for a discount, too!

There is another site that sells Sado but I cannot read it (Japanese) and difficult to communicate with the seller. They have thousands of items from everywhere. I forget the name, though.

Sep 29th, '09, 00:27
Scrolling: fixed

by Intuit » Sep 29th, '09, 00:27

Small Tea Pot - Mumyoi

http://www.japanwoodworker.com/dept.asp ... Woodworker

There are dozens of potters shops selling this pottery on Sado Island. It's heavily peddled to visitors/tourists as 'magically' improving the taste of beverages, from tea to beer and sake. The situation is that the clay is highly mixed (not pure) and is low/fired (somewhat softer and more absorbant than other Japanese clay centers we are familiar with here on TC), distribution tends to be local/national rather than international, and pottery quality has been improving after national recognition of Sado Island pottery craftsmanship.

I would rather have a first rate Banko or Tokoname pot, thankyouverymuch.

Sep 29th, '09, 00:51

by Tead Off » Sep 29th, '09, 00:51

Intuit wrote:Small Tea Pot - Mumyoi

http://www.japanwoodworker.com/dept.asp ... Woodworker

There are dozens of potters shops selling this pottery on Sado Island. It's heavily peddled to visitors/tourists as 'magically' improving the taste of beverages, from tea to beer and sake. The situation is that the clay is highly mixed (not pure) and is low/fired (somewhat softer and more absorbant than other Japanese clay centers we are familiar with here on TC), distribution tends to be local/national rather than international, and pottery quality has been improving after national recognition of Sado Island pottery craftsmanship.

I would rather have a first rate Banko or Tokoname pot, thankyouverymuch.
Who told you the clay was low fired and not pure? That is not what the Hojo-God has declared. They are baked at at a minimum 1200c and the 'mixing' of clays is red plus purple, usually. There are different color Sado clays just like Yixing clays. There may be some potters using oxides or clays from outside of the area, but, I have not heard this at all.

Sep 29th, '09, 01:32

by Oni » Sep 29th, '09, 01:32

Sado wear is made on potters wheel just like Chao Zhou zhu ni so it must be similar in composition, beacause real zhu ni can only be made in Yixing technique, so I think Chao Zhou zhu ni is cheaper that Yixing, so should be sado wear... Of course these are just speculations, I haven`t tested any "real zhu ni" nor sado "zhu ni" to have any personal experience.

Sep 29th, '09, 01:34

by Oni » Sep 29th, '09, 01:34

cupioneer wrote:Thanks for the comments, guys.

Smart buyer, I always try to find a similar item before buying from a vendor, if another shop sells the same things cheaper, that means that they have lower interest rates at all their products, and Horaido is great, a small teashop but there you can find many usefull things, and their tea is very good.

Sep 30th, '09, 08:00

by olivierco » Sep 30th, '09, 08:00

Just arrived this morning:

blue hagi teacup

and kyoyaki hira chawan

Sep 30th, '09, 09:26
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Sep 30th, '09, 09:26

Ohhhhhhhhh very nice, both! Congrats!

Sep 30th, '09, 19:27
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Sep 30th, '09, 19:27

That is a great Seigan Blue, Olivier! And very nice Kyoyaki Chawan.

Oct 10th, '09, 21:57

by AdamMY » Oct 10th, '09, 21:57

Bryan,

Do you know what tea you are going to use it for?

It looks like a cool pot.

Moderator Edit: this is the end of Chapter XI. You can view Chapter XII here!