Yorkshire Gold, Loose leaf

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Oct 1st, '09, 12:27

Yorkshire Gold, Loose leaf

by Elwood » Oct 1st, '09, 12:27

Anyone here tried this? I've heard from one guy that the tea "leaves" were so fine, they were basically identical to the tea you find inside of the Yorkshire Gold Tea bags.

Do these tea leaves provide a good taste, etc, or should I look for a nicer, black tea?

Oct 1st, '09, 12:57
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Yorkshire Gold, Loose leaf

by Victoria » Oct 1st, '09, 12:57

Where is this tea, who sells it?

Oct 1st, '09, 13:19

by Elwood » Oct 1st, '09, 13:19

UK brand only, hence the name Yorkshire Tea.

Oct 1st, '09, 13:25

by Victoria » Oct 1st, '09, 13:25

Well it would be very rare for a tea bag to contain whole unbroken leaves.
So if you like this tea, and can find the whole leaf version, you should get it.

Oct 1st, '09, 13:42
Scrolling: fixed

by Intuit » Oct 1st, '09, 13:42

Well, no, it would not be uncommon for a looseleaf version of bagged teas to be available in in the UK. However, don't be expecting it to be whole leafed.

Taylors of Harrogate Yorkshire Gold looseleaf retails in the $9-12 range for just over half a pound. Not a bad breakfast blend style tippy tea, if it's fairly fresh. It's packaged to be sold in grocery stores, just as we have whole bean and ground coffee in vacuumed packed bags.

This type of looseleaf tea is moderately sorted trademarked blend, containing a range of tea leaf fragmentation - it's made for porcelain teapots and fast but tasty infusions. It may not be pretty, but it also need not taste bad.

Taylors also has a darker blend and one made for hard-water in their Yorkshire Teas product line.

Oct 1st, '09, 13:51

by Victoria » Oct 1st, '09, 13:51

Victoria wrote:Well it would be very rare for a tea bag to contain whole unbroken leaves.
So if you like this tea, and can find the whole leaf version, you should get it.
Intuit wrote:Well, no, it would not be uncommon for a looseleaf version of bagged teas to be available in in the UK. However, don't be expecting it to be whole leafed.
Umm that is what I said.

Oct 1st, '09, 13:56
Scrolling: fixed

by Intuit » Oct 1st, '09, 13:56

Short memory? Re-read your post.

Oct 1st, '09, 14:21

by Victoria » Oct 1st, '09, 14:21

I never said "it would not be uncommon for a looseleaf version of bagged teas to be available in in the UK." or anywhere.

I said that it would not be whole leafed if in a bag. I said if you find the whole leaf version, not in a bag, you should buy it. Any whole leaf will be better than bagged.

Oct 1st, '09, 19:25

by Elwood » Oct 1st, '09, 19:25

sorry, but how is there a difference between bagged loose tea and non bagged loose tea? You say you can find full leaf tea, but it wont be bagged?

I thought the point of loose tea was it was the leaves? So theres two types of loose leaf tea, sort of loose leaf, and totally loose leaf?

Oct 1st, '09, 21:26

by Riene » Oct 1st, '09, 21:26

Getting back to the original question--I've had this tea and enjoyed it. The leaves are fine, yes, but if you like a good basic black tea for your morning mug, it's a good, fairly inexpensive choice.

Oct 1st, '09, 23:50

by silverneedles » Oct 1st, '09, 23:50

YG loose leaf and the YG tbag contain the same leaf.
i like it more than pgtips. still too "brisk"/astringent for me. goes very well with milk which takes away the brisk, lets you enjoy the maltiness/flavor.

Oct 2nd, '09, 03:44

by Elwood » Oct 2nd, '09, 03:44

so if it contains the same leaves as you find in the bags, would it really offer any advantage over the bags? Granted yes, it will have more room to move, perhaps will stay slightly fresher in its foil bag, but otherwise, I can't quite see the advantage it'l give?

Oct 2nd, '09, 09:15

by silverneedles » Oct 2nd, '09, 09:15

different marketing strategy,
maybe there's less broken leaf-a couple millimeters longer :), maybe the loose leaf will stay fresh longer (unless by shaking/turning the bag/inserting spoons over and over into the bag the leaf gets exposed to more air than tbags that stay still when you grab the top bag from box), but whatever, still, its black tea, not "high quality", made to be mixed with milk, so i dont think it will make much difference as far as flavor.
i got the tbags because im lazy
as many English teas they're not individually wrapped and theres 2 tbags attached to eachother.(YG tbag pics)

Oct 2nd, '09, 13:11

by Elwood » Oct 2nd, '09, 13:11

So you think regardless of the leaves moving freely, it'l taste the same? Hmm, might just pass up on them then and stick with the bags. cost a bit more, but easier to make.

Suppose if the tea bags contain the same as the loose leaf, I could just cut open a tea bag and make one using the contents, see if it tastes nicer. But probably wont bother now. Back to bags for me!

+ Post Reply