Robert Fornell Ceramics

Artisans share their Teaware Art.

Oct 14th, '09, 11:53

Re: Robert Fornell (Ronin Ceramurai) Chadogu

by Robert Fornell » Oct 14th, '09, 11:53

A raku piece from a number of years ago...... It seems as if raku has sort of fallen out of favor of late with the current trend being more towards wood fired/yakishime style work. While never really exploring it that much, the medium for me, does carry a certain element of ....... 未完成..... mikansei, or incomplete innocent beauty/truth to it.......

Best,
R
Attachments
raku wan.jpg
raku wan.jpg (20.88 KiB) Viewed 1777 times

Oct 14th, '09, 12:03

by Tead Off » Oct 14th, '09, 12:03

Robert,

The raku bowl is great. Now, the endless question... Is it safe to drink from?
We read about American raku vs. Japanese raku. Amrak, no good. Japrak, good. You, being trained in Japan, should know the differences. So is your safe?

I drink Matcha regularly out of Japanese raku chawan. There is a certain feeling to the bowls that really appeal to me. I have others that are not raku that I also like, but, if I have my eyes closed, and, you put a raku bowl in my hands, the feeling of it usually gives it away. So, why haven't you explored it more? :o

Oct 14th, '09, 13:57

by Robert Fornell » Oct 14th, '09, 13:57

Robert,

The raku bowl is great. Now, the endless question... Is it safe to drink from? We read about American raku vs. Japanese raku. Amrak, no good. Japrak, good. You, being trained in Japan, should know the differences. So is your safe?

I drink Matcha regularly out of Japanese raku chawan. There is a certain feeling to the bowls that really appeal to me. I have others that are not raku that I also like, but, if I have my eyes closed, and, you put a raku bowl in my hands, the feeling of it usually gives it away. So, why haven't you explored it more?
Thanks for the reply T'd Off..... as for the questions, a couple of thoughts. "Amrak, no good. Japrak, good."

It is may be more nuanced than that and as they say in Japan.... case by case. When dealing with firing at lower temps ie. raku, a stronger flux is needed to reduce the melting point of the various glaze ingriedents. Tradionally, lead was used which I wouldn't necessecarily call safe as depending on how it's fired it could go either way. On the other hand Amrak tends to use industrially prepared frits which compose the flux element, and, depending on how the piece is fired, it could be safe..... however if the glaze is loaded up with oxides ie. copper, it may not be. The posted piece contains an industrial frit clear glaze with a commercially prepared underglaze which I consider "safe". As I as well as other potters here have stated, by far the greatest risk of chemical exposure is to the potters themselves.

While I appreciate the comment about working in Japan, my work was not in Raku, therefore I'm more of a generalist concerning expertise. My Subaru mechanic does a great job with our Outback, but might feel a bit lost working on a Mitsubishi Fuso :)

I'm in agreement TO that there are so many wonderful qualities of 楽焼 Rakuyaki.... alas time is short. I often tell my students that there are probably 3 lifetimes worth of learning in ceramics..... at least at one tempreture range. Another factor is economic.

That said, I've now started a seasonal chawans by "subscription" program ie. a yearly " subscription" would make available 4 chawan of mine, a fall, winter, spring, and summer. If anyone is interested in this idea, kindly contact me through my web site:

http://www.robertfornellceramicarts.com for further details.

Thank you again Tead Off for bringing up some interesting points.

Best wishes,
R

Oct 14th, '09, 15:33

by chamekke » Oct 14th, '09, 15:33

Nice!!

I suspect that Shino may be the next big wave on TeaChat (following Hagi).

Oct 14th, '09, 23:01

by Tead Off » Oct 14th, '09, 23:01

Robert,

True, true. There is only so much time. Can't do everything. :(

Oct 15th, '09, 01:16

by Seeker » Oct 15th, '09, 01:16

Hi Robert,
Love your Raku!
Wow.
Love your work, your creations.
Best,
Jim
ps - it's Wed and pkg hasn't yet arrived. I'll be away for a bit; can hardly wait until the babies arrive!

Oct 15th, '09, 03:28

by ginkgo » Oct 15th, '09, 03:28

I like this raku tea bowl too because it is "simple" with form and color .. I explain me : in Switzerland many people do raku and it makes big effects with a lot of colors or metallic effects and that is too much !!! ( for me) so It is a rarity to find raku pieces with "sobriety" like your one.
I will wnjoy shino developpement here in this conversation ! cool...

Oct 15th, '09, 10:26

by JBaymore » Oct 15th, '09, 10:26

ginkgo wrote: .....in Switzerland many people do raku and it makes big effects with a lot of colors or metallic effects and that is too much !!!
Sounds like they have inhereted and embraced the Hal Reigger/Paul Soldner/"American" raku technique. The comparison to Japanese raku is sort of like the relationship between a bicycle and a Sherman tank :wink: .

Nice chawan, Robert.

best,

..............john

Oct 17th, '09, 13:25

by Robert Fornell » Oct 17th, '09, 13:25

While perusing Yahoo Japan auctions today I came across these two chawan that I thought I would share......

By potter friend Yamada Kazu....

http://page15.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/a ... t138826177

And this superb chawan by Ningen Kokuho Shimizu Uichi

http://page3.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/au ... =;seian264

Best,
R
Last edited by Robert Fornell on Oct 18th, '09, 13:21, edited 1 time in total.

Oct 17th, '09, 13:44

by ginkgo » Oct 17th, '09, 13:44

" j'en ai le souffle coupé " !! the photos are just splendid : I could not imagine taking these in my hands ... I dream about such pieces at my home... ( just a dream...)

Oct 17th, '09, 16:30

by JBaymore » Oct 17th, '09, 16:30

凄いですよ.Two stunning pieces there, Robert. Thanks for sharing.

best,

.................john

Oct 19th, '09, 21:03

by Robert Fornell » Oct 19th, '09, 21:03

Oct 19th, '09, 21:25

by Robert Fornell » Oct 19th, '09, 21:25

On a more serious note, I found this clip of Tsujimura Yui, Tsujimura Shiro's youngest son who carries on his fathers tradition of extremely prolific "woodless" firing in small kilns.

http://video.search.yahoo.co.jp/video/8 ... =srp&rkf=1

Cheers,
R

Oct 22nd, '09, 15:39

by Robert Fornell » Oct 22nd, '09, 15:39

Driving home a while ago through Rainier valley I came across an excavation site for an apartment building with what looked to be a nice streak of high iron yellow clay which is my favorite for kohiki work.

It was a good find with nice subtle color variation.

Best,
R
Attachments
tok 1bb.jpg
tok 1bb.jpg (15.05 KiB) Viewed 1674 times
tok 1aa.jpg
tok 1aa.jpg (13.06 KiB) Viewed 1674 times

Oct 23rd, '09, 13:59

by bonjiri » Oct 23rd, '09, 13:59

wonderful tokkuri !

wow !

love the 'hagi' look !

whoa ! believe it or not, hawaii has wonderful clay deposits too !
i need to start digging !

aloha robert ! thanks for sharing your wonderful pieces !

+ Post Reply