How much tea do you drink to lose weight?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Nov 29th, '06, 21:12

How much tea do you drink to lose weight?

by mamawama » Nov 29th, '06, 21:12

I did not start out intending to lose weight...didn't even know you could. But 15 pounds later, I'm still amazed. I find I lose weight if I'm drinking more than 4 cups (8 oz) a day, I maintain or gain if I drink less. I had been gradually losing weight with food. But once I started drinking the green tea (dragonwell), it just starting melting away fast. Have any of you found it really easy to lose? If so, which tea(s) are you drinking, and how much? Do you do it in conjunction with a particular diet? I'm just amazed at how easy this has been!! Thanks!

Nov 30th, '06, 01:18

by deadfingers » Nov 30th, '06, 01:18

Well I have heard that drinking tea in general can help you loose weight due to it's antioxidant levels. I heard green tea is the best for loosing weight, guess it speeds up your metabolism or something. I haven't really experienced such weight loss myself but I tend to keep my weight steady to say the least when I drink plenty of tea.

Nov 30th, '06, 12:28

by studio271 » Nov 30th, '06, 12:28

Well, tea just works to balance your diet; it's not the antioxidants, the vitamins, or some magic pixie-dust that makes you lose weight.

It's the mere fact that instead of drinking a soda or some other sugar-based drink, you're drinking tea. Instead of having a bag of chips before bed, you're drinking some white tea or a tisane.

I've personally lost 30 pounds in the last nine months since I started being a tea nerd. But I don't account that to the tea by itself. Instead, I account it to the fact that, during that time, I have been drinking only water and tea; nothing else, ever (very little junk food, either, but that's just because the stuff makes me sick).

So to answer your question, I guess I have to say it's not how much tea you drink, but how much you avoid drinking anything else that's bad for you. Even if you drink 3 gallons of tea a day, but still have that one can of coke in the afternoon, you're not doing enough to be expecting to lose weight.

In short, if you want to lose weight, then do this: don't eat bad food (you should know what's bad), don't drink sugar drinks, and get some exercise at least once a day. I don't mean to be preaching or anything, but that's really the only way to get healthier; it annoys me that there are so many people in the world who think there's some magic cure for being unhealthy. :-/

Good luck, and keep that tea comin'! :-D

Nov 30th, '06, 16:57

clarification & no cokes for this kid

by mamawama » Nov 30th, '06, 16:57

I totally agree with the idea about avoiding junk and everything else you said. Figured that was a given. Just to clarify, I'm the only healthy person in my large family...all my sibs have major heart disease and/or cancer, as did/does the older generation. I have been eating low-fat plant-based diet for 20+ years and even teach healthy cooking classes for a national non-profit that promotes veggies & fruit. I haven't looked at a diet coke since the 1970's. We teach avoid looking for the magic bullet yada yada... The point is, I have really done nothing different the past number of years other than green tea, and eat as healthfully as one can. I've read the research, seen some studies, and was just curious if anyone else had the same experience with weight loss. I find it fascinating that so much of what we are learning now comes as the world, China and the East in particular, open up. My weight was at the upper end of my appropriate BMI before, but now I feel and look much better, I think.

Nov 30th, '06, 19:45

by deadfingers » Nov 30th, '06, 19:45

I agree as well, it's funny how everyone jumped on the tea bandwagon when they heard you could lose weight. Well it's not the tea, it's the fact that your substituting that sugar packed soda with something that's actually good for you. I stopped drinking sodas before I joined the military and sometimes I drink them here and there but I mostly either drank water or some sort of juice. Now I drink mostly green tea. I drink this green tea from a bottle, it's Korean and it definitely doesn't have an artificial taste to it. Since I've been drinking tea I either drink that or just plain water, it helps a lot. You'd be surprise how much junk you're drinking when you change to water or tea.

Dec 1st, '06, 11:11

by LavenderPekoe » Dec 1st, '06, 11:11

All of this is why I haven't lost any weight since I started drinking tea. I didn't have any calories to substitute since I only drink diet sodas and rarely juices. There just weren't any extra calories in that department.

Dec 24th, '06, 17:31

by kissmyhuman » Dec 24th, '06, 17:31

Well I've seen some inconsistent reports as to green tea's weight loss benefits. A good amount of them, however, seem to point to one of two causes. Drinking a number of cups may prime your metabolism to run faster burning on the order of 100 to 200 more calories per day (paltry, when one pound of fat is 3500 calories). The other cause being that compounds in tea help more efficiently metabolize body fat in conjunction with working out.

To be honest, I'd imagine it's a placebo effect... if you feel better you move around more and you have the urge to be more outgoing, etc. Granted there is some good stuff in tea, it doesn't seem like any of the studies are definitive, much like the two-sided studies on wine or eggs over the years and their contribution to your health.

Oct 4th, '09, 11:29

Re: How much tea do you drink to lose weight?

by Junaid Hamadi » Oct 4th, '09, 11:29

I guess drinking a larger amount of green tea increases the percentage of each nutrient in the tea bag, but I'm not too sure if drinking 4 cups a day is quite healthy. I my self am a diabetic person and trying to loose about 20 pounds. I'm just wondering, what if I excercise twice or three times a week, consume 3 cups of 'Uncle Lee's 100% Organic Green Tea' daily and keep a decent/extreme diet going on. Anyone how know of how long it will take for me to loose about 20-25 lbs.

Thanks, I'd appreciate it if someone gave me an reasonable time being. :)

Oct 4th, '09, 11:43

by puerhking » Oct 4th, '09, 11:43

The only way you are going to lose a decent amount of weight is to drink only tea and no solid food. Enjoy!

Oct 4th, '09, 11:49

by Ed » Oct 4th, '09, 11:49

The exercise is key. If you exercise and drink tea instead of snacking, you might be able to drop some weight that way.

Oct 4th, '09, 12:22
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Oct 4th, '09, 12:22

Tea is not the miracle weight loss solution as touted in a lot of internet marketing. Don't buy into that!

Substitution, subbing tea for high calorie drinks and snacks, subbing active lifestyle for sedentary life style. Eating well versus eating poorly ...

Yeah, tea cannot hurt, but don't buy into tea being the panacea for all things including weight loss, just part of a hopefully more healthy lifestyle, life choices.

And enjoy your tea!

Oct 4th, '09, 15:38

by JBaymore » Oct 4th, '09, 15:38

Junaid Hamadi wrote:I guess drinking a larger amount of green tea increases the percentage of each nutrient in the tea bag, but I'm not too sure if drinking 4 cups a day is quite healthy. I my self am a diabetic person and trying to loose about 20 pounds. I'm just wondering, what if I excercise twice or three times a week, consume 3 cups of 'Uncle Lee's 100% Organic Green Tea' daily and keep a decent/extreme diet going on. Anyone how know of how long it will take for me to loose about 20-25 lbs.

Thanks, I'd appreciate it if someone gave me an reasonable time being. :)
Junaid,

Are you in America?

In America, our typical food is loaded with hidden stuff that loads up the stuff with calories and fat. And the portion size tends to be LARGE....at home or in food places. The labeling on food packaging is often very misleading....thanks to the US government. You have to work hard to start cutting down on all that stuff that you don't know you are getting without getting really serious about learning what you are really eating.

Try reading the book "Fast Food Nation". THAT will stop you eating at any of the fast food type places :wink: .

I spend a bit of time in Japan. I eat like a horse when I am there (the food is fantastic!). I never feel like I am not eating enough. I eat a lot of rice too......not just fish based protein and veggies. Somtimes I am absolutely stuffed.

I can drop a lot of weight there in a short time without thinking about it simply by changing my diet to their food. And here in America I am sort of careful about what I try to eat anyway.

The tea may be a factor, but I think it is more the content of the food.

Cooking like the Japanese unfortunately is very time consuming. We do it hwere as much as we can. Makes it hard when the typical American lifestyle has everyone running constantly. Unlike America, the Japanese pretty reaqdily have decent fast food available when they are "running".

Unfortunately they are now rapildy chasing KFC, Micky D's, Mister Donut, and mayonaise on everything. So they are now headed down the western route of making the cardiologists and endicrinologists rich too.

Man... are we ever "off topic" here. Sorry.

Tea....Tea....Tea...... :wink:

best,

............john

Oct 4th, '09, 16:00
Scrolling: fixed

by Intuit » Oct 4th, '09, 16:00

We are a group who loves quality tea. Quality tea means you take time to prepare it carefully, to savor the process of making and then consuming loose leaf teas. These teas come in a staggering varietal assortment, with regional differences and even vintages, much like fine wines - hundreds are available.

This isn't just a beverage, its part of a way of life :
Slow Living in fast times.

Slow Living isn't about breezing through a day, or enduring the passage of it. It's not about shortcuts or quick remedies.

Slow Living is about celebrating the little moments and slowing down the pace of your day through savoring sensory experiences. It's paying attention to the details and quality of life through everyday activities, by taking care of yourself responsibly, like cooking meals, daily exercise, breathing techniques and stretching, stress moderation, and healthy sleep patterns. It's about the importance of social relationships as learning tools and safety nets. It's about sharing without expecting physical recompense because the returns are intangible but just as important as physical rewards. It's a way of looking at your actions, in harmonious tune with others and your environment.

If you wish to reverse the manifestations of your blood sugar disease to improve quality of life, and reduce your medical expense burden on society and family, you might want to consider joining us in Slow Living.

Oct 4th, '09, 16:08

by Maitre_Tea » Oct 4th, '09, 16:08

I think in the United States there is this emphasis on nutrients versus food. Sure, the nutrients you can find in tea may help your metabolism, fight cancer, etc., but these nutrients are also working in conjunction with the other stuff you're doing. If you exercise and eat right, you'll probably lose weight. But if you just drink tea and live life as usual (without keeping a good diet or exercising), you probably won't see the kind of results you would get when doing the former. Tea in it of itself won't help you lose weight, at the very best it might help you lose weight.

If drinking tea meant losing weight, I would be the skinniest person in the world.

Oct 4th, '09, 20:23

by JBaymore » Oct 4th, '09, 20:23

Maitre_Tea wrote:If drinking tea meant losing weight, I would be the skinniest person in the world.
We'd compete for that honor. And with my wife too. :wink:

best,

............john

+ Post Reply