Holy Mountain Tea Reviews

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Sep 19th, '09, 18:50

Holy Mountain Tea Reviews

by Cha Nacho » Sep 19th, '09, 18:50

Hi all,

I've been checking out the huge selection of green teas at the holymtn.com website. Theres lots to choose from and prices are pretty reasonable. Only problem I don't know much about them. Any experts out there who have ordered from them before and know wether its good quality for money. What teas would you recommend from them?? Any info is appreciated.

Cheers!

Sep 23rd, '09, 22:50

Re: Holy Mountain Tea Reviews

by DoctorD » Sep 23rd, '09, 22:50

Haven't ordered from them in quite some time, but aside from a somewhat cumbersome ordering procedure (probably improved in the meantime) I gave them very good marks for variety, service, and price. My tasting notes give their better grade Dragonwell and their Lu'An Melon Seed particularly high ratings; I was not quite as impressed with a couple of blacks I tried. But again, all that was some years back. Their website is definitely fun to prowl around on.

Sep 24th, '09, 02:23

by Cha Nacho » Sep 24th, '09, 02:23

Thanks for the feedback, Melon Seed was one of the teas I want to order so good to know you gave it high marks!

Sep 24th, '09, 09:16
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Sep 24th, '09, 09:16

Thank you Doctor D, I have often checked out their site, but have never ordered from them. They often have interesting teaware.

Sep 25th, '09, 22:37

by DoctorD » Sep 25th, '09, 22:37

Cha Nacho wrote:Thanks for the feedback, Melon Seed was one of the teas I want to order so good to know you gave it high marks!
Hope you enjoy--let me know what you think of their current offerings. I've been thinking lately that I really owe them another visit...

Sep 25th, '09, 23:55

by geeber1 » Sep 25th, '09, 23:55

I saw some Frost Nilgiris on their site last year but didn't order anything.

Cha Nacho, if you order from them, would you let us know how their tea is? And their customer service?

Oct 2nd, '09, 16:32

by Cha Nacho » Oct 2nd, '09, 16:32

geeber1 wrote:Cha Nacho, if you order from them, would you let us know how their tea is? And their customer service?
Geeber1, will do. Just waiting in anticipation for my order to arrive. I chose about 6 green tea samples. I'll let you know how it goes.

Oct 3rd, '09, 10:33

by beecrofter » Oct 3rd, '09, 10:33

I has been 3 or 4 years since I have ordered from them but there were no problems. I believe I circumvented the web process and ordered by phone.

Tom

Oct 9th, '09, 02:29

by Cha Nacho » Oct 9th, '09, 02:29

My shipment arrived on Monday, it took about 5 business days so it was pretty quick :D Communication was good, they emailed me to let me know it had left the building which was appreciated. I got 1 oz or 1/2 oz samples of several teas, most of which I've never tried. Amongst them are the Bi luo chun (competition grade and regular), Tai Ping Hou Kui, Organic Lu'An Melon Seed, Lu Shan Yun Wu, Huangshan Mao Feng and last but certainly not least, 1st Grade Gyokuru Asahi.

I'm going to try them one by one so I don't have much feedback yet. So far though, I have tried the Mao Feng and I'm really enjoying it. I can't speak of the quality compared to other Mao Fengs but I can tell you it has a great flavour and lasts surprisingly long (5+ brews in 120ml gaiwan). The leaves have a deep green colour and give off a powerful fresh scent. The flavour is very floral, slightly nutty and sweet. I'm definitely going to enjoy the next several weeks as I try them all!

Oct 11th, '09, 17:56

by DoctorD » Oct 11th, '09, 17:56

Keep those tasting notes coming!

Oct 13th, '09, 10:38

by Canadiangal » Oct 13th, '09, 10:38

They look interesting. Glad to see they ship to Canada.
Will have a look at their website

Oct 17th, '09, 00:51

by Cha Nacho » Oct 17th, '09, 00:51

I recently cracked open my next sample from Holy Mtn, the Lu'an Melon seed. It was pretty good, but didn't blow me away with complexity or depth. It was quite similar to mid-priced Dragon's well that I've had from a local shop, with that same kind of chestnut flavour. It was very refreshing and for about $5 for an oz a reasonable price. I brewed it in a gaiwan and got 3 nice infusions out of it before it weakened considerably. What else can I say about this tea... It left a beautiful honey/raspberry scent in the bottom of the cups and faircup, stronger than I'd had before. Overall not a bad choice, but not top shelf either.

Oct 17th, '09, 01:06
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Oct 17th, '09, 01:06

Cha Nacho wrote:I recently cracked open my next sample from Holy Mtn, the Lu'an Melon seed. It was pretty good, but didn't blow me away with complexity or depth. It was quite similar to mid-priced Dragon's well that I've had from a local shop, with that same kind of chestnut flavour. It was very refreshing and for about $5 for an oz a reasonable price. I brewed it in a gaiwan and got 3 nice infusions out of it before it weakened considerably. What else can I say about this tea... It left a beautiful honey/raspberry scent in the bottom of the cups and faircup, stronger than I'd had before. Overall not a bad choice, but not top shelf either.
Try more leaf, it is a fluffy tea that requires a large volume of leaf to shine.

I have not had theirs, but it is usually quite good if fresh.

Nov 12th, '09, 03:52

by Cha Nacho » Nov 12th, '09, 03:52

I have a few more updates for this thread as I have been working on my samples. (All teas were brewed in a thin walled gaiwan, for about 25 seconds rounds, using 5g of tea, and various water temperatures)

The Tai Ping Hou Kui was good, it was my first time with this tea and from all the descriptions and pictures, I think it was the real deal. It had very long leaves, many with the criss crossed pressing pattern on it. It had a nice subtle flavour. Smokey, sweet, chestnutty. Reasonably long lasting flavour.

The "competition" Bi Luo Chun was next up. Also another tea I had never tried, and I was actually blown away by it! It had a great complex flavour which started off buttery and vegetal, and became sweeter and floral in subsequent brews. Its hard to really describe it, but I would recommend it and would definitely order it again.

I also finished off the regular Bi luo chun, which was nice too. The difference was quite obvious between the two though. After brewing it, it was clear that the leaves were less young and delicate than the competition stuff. Still it made a good brew and was not bad for brewing in large mugs western style.

I just moved on to the sample of Lu Shan Yun Wu. I didn`t really know what to expect but was really happy with this tea. The flavour was different than I expected and brewed for 30 seconds with 5 grams it was woody, and nutty, almost astringent but luckily not. It was kind of hard to classify and I would put the flavour somewhere between the really pronounced floral Mao Feng and a lighter more vegetal green, maybe Melonseed.

Anyway I`ve still got the gyokuru to try as well, and I`m looking forward to it. No idea what to expect compared to the Chinese greens. To anyone interested in trying more loose leaf green tea, I definitely recommend trying a bunch of samples, its very enjoyable and not to hard on the wallet! Happy drinking ;)

Nov 12th, '09, 17:50

by Dreamer » Nov 12th, '09, 17:50

Thanks for posting your notes. It is so helpful to read about what others have tried.

Dreamer

+ Post Reply