Lucien M. Koonce ceramics

Artisans share their Teaware Art.

Oct 27th, '09, 09:50

Lucien M. Koonce ceramics

by lucienkoonce » Oct 27th, '09, 09:50

I stumbled across this site yesterday while searching for information on traditional Japanese shino. I think it was Robert Fornell's site, which has wonderful work, that took me here. I also see that Cory Lum and John Baymore are on here, both whose work I am internet familiar with. Anyway, I am glad that I found such a resource of knowledgable clay folks in the realm of tea bowls, etc. While I have a good many years experience in ceramics, it was last spring that I began making tea bowls. Also, I was introduced to woodfiring many years ago while in grad. school, studying under Chuck Hindes. I have been in and out of wood firing over the years, but have connected with Chris Gustin since moving to western Massachusetts last year. Since, I have fired twice in his anagama kiln. Thus, I have two things that I would like to inject here. One is to inquire if anyone has formulated a tradtional style shino using local materials, particularly from New England. Recently I was down in North Carolina and visited Judith Duff's studio in Brevard. She has an amazing shino that she is getting with local feldspar and clay she is gathering herself. The second thing is to share a tea bowl of mine that came out of the September anagama firing. It is the color of this piece, which was unglazed on the exterior and had a liner glaze on the interior, that is incredible. It was on the front stack, and about half way up. Our total firing time is seven days, getting cone 12 flat, and the cool-down time is several weeks. It is for gems like these, I tell people, that we fire with wood.
Attachments
15_Tea bowl_Natural ash.jpg
Natural Ash Tea Bowl
15_Tea bowl_Natural ash.jpg (19.21 KiB) Viewed 7823 times
Last edited by lucienkoonce on Oct 27th, '09, 12:29, edited 2 times in total.

Oct 27th, '09, 10:10

Re: Local materials for Shino?

by woozl » Oct 27th, '09, 10:10

Welcome,

Super nice looking Chawan.
My wife's studio is gearing up for a Halloween fire.
Keeping fingers crossed......

Oct 27th, '09, 11:57

by JBaymore » Oct 27th, '09, 11:57

Hi Lucien. Welcome to TeaChat.

We are not too far apart. I'm in southern NH.

If you fire with Chris, you likely know one of my fellow professors at New Hampshire Instuite of Art....Maureen Mills. She fires there all the time. Since I have my own noborigama here at my studio...... I have never gotten involved in Chris's firings. But that kiln puts out some nice work. As your bowl attests.

I use local mateials, but have never tried to duplicate shinos that way. I prefer what local NH materials give me just by being local NH materials. Being from NH..... I use granite a lot. :lol:

Be well.

best,

................john

Oct 27th, '09, 12:06

by JBaymore » Oct 27th, '09, 12:06

Lucien,

I just thought of something here......

You might want to look at the "rules" for the Teaware Artisan's section on TeaChat. I am NO expert on this at ALL ....since I'm a total noob here and have not yet had the time to really set up a "presence" down here......(Chip.....chime in please???????) but I THINK that each "artisan" is supposed to keep all their "content" in a single thread down here.

So separate postings like this "shino" question........likely are not the way you want to go.

It looks to me, if I understand the rules myself, like what you might want to do is change the opening line title of this thread to something related to your name or the business name. Questrions like this then just become part of one larger thread.

Someday when I have a lot more time....... I'll set something up here myself. Right now I am flat out after spending the summer working in Japan and now between getting ready for two upcoming solo shows and teaching :? :shock: :!: :wink: .

best,

................john

Oct 27th, '09, 12:19

by lucienkoonce » Oct 27th, '09, 12:19

John...thanks for the reply and the tips on posting here. I admit I just delved in without reading the format. Yes, I do know Maureen...we have fired twice together; great person to have on the crew. She had lots of pots for the September firing, and had great results...I hope she shared some of them with you. I went to Ruggles mine, up in your neck of the woods, the other week and brought back feldpsar to experiment with, so looking forward to doing that. ~Lucien

Oct 27th, '09, 12:21
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Oct 27th, '09, 12:21

Yes, I have PMed Lucien. Hopefully Lucien will join in and share his/her teawares here. Great to have another TeawarteArtisan!!!

Great Chawan! (which was also in my PM).

Oct 27th, '09, 12:39

Re: Lucien M. Koonce ceramics

by shyrabbit » Oct 27th, '09, 12:39

Welcome Lucien...nice chawan. I've found this group to be a great venue to show your work and better yet as a place to learn. I think you will enjoy the opportunity.
Michael

Oct 27th, '09, 12:59

by lucienkoonce » Oct 27th, '09, 12:59

Well, I should be out in the studio working, but I think I am getting the hang of this forum; thank you to those that have provided me with information. Chip, thanks for asking about other images...happy to oblige. All of my pieces are formed by hand, starting out with a solid lump of clay, forming the exterior profile with a slab of wood, then hollowing out the interior with a wire loop tool.
Attachments
7_Tea bowl_Shino_wari foot.jpg
Shino Tea Bowl w/ Wari Foot
7_Tea bowl_Shino_wari foot.jpg (25.17 KiB) Viewed 7779 times
6_Tea Bowl_Oribe.jpg
Oribe Tea Bowl
6_Tea Bowl_Oribe.jpg (16.4 KiB) Viewed 7779 times
12_Tea bowl_Shino.jpg
Shino Tea Bowl
12_Tea bowl_Shino.jpg (22 KiB) Viewed 7779 times

Oct 27th, '09, 13:19

by lucienkoonce » Oct 27th, '09, 13:19

a couple more...
Attachments
8_Tea bowl_Shino.jpg
Shino Tea Bowl
8_Tea bowl_Shino.jpg (21.4 KiB) Viewed 7773 times
4_Yunomi_Natural ash_ flashing slip.jpg
Slipped Yunomi
4_Yunomi_Natural ash_ flashing slip.jpg (23.4 KiB) Viewed 7773 times

Oct 27th, '09, 13:24

by bonjiri » Oct 27th, '09, 13:24

lucienkoonce wrote:Well, I should be out in the studio working, but I think I am getting the hang of this forum; thank you to those that have provided me with information. Chip, thanks for asking about other images...happy to oblige. All of my pieces are formed by hand, starting out with a solid lump of clay, forming the exterior profile with a slab of wood, then hollowing out the interior with a wire loop tool.
lucien

welcome to the tea artisan forum !

wonderful images and wonderful pieces ! love the different colors and surfaces you have.

inspired ! would love to see more !

cheers
aloha !
cory

Oct 27th, '09, 13:48
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Oct 27th, '09, 13:48

Those are amazing works, thank you for sharing them with us. I am sure we are all looking forward to seeing more! Much much more. :D

Oct 27th, '09, 16:13

by geeber1 » Oct 27th, '09, 16:13

Lucien, do you have a website or link to your works?

My daughter lives in Brevard, it's sure a nice town!

Oct 27th, '09, 17:37

by lucienkoonce » Oct 27th, '09, 17:37

thanks, cory...i have enjoyed viewing your work since this past spring as i was becoming involved with making the tea bowl form. geeber1...yes, brevard is a beautiful spot in the mountains of north carolina. being a carolinian myself, asheville is my favorite town to go to. lots of potters in that area due, much in part, to penland. my web address is http://lmkoonce.home.mindspring.com. works posted are from the may '09 anagama firing. i still have to post the september firing pieces. thanks for asking. ~lucien

Oct 27th, '09, 18:40

by Robert Fornell » Oct 27th, '09, 18:40

Welcome Lucien!

You've posted some fine looking pieces........... Looking forward to seeing more!

Yoroshiku!
R

Oct 27th, '09, 22:51

by Littlepig2 » Oct 27th, '09, 22:51

Hi Lucien,
welcome from to teachat forum. Your pictures, in my opinion, reveal lovely forms with liquid skins.
Jean Ann

+ Post Reply