Tannins Levels in Tea

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Sep 19th, '06, 11:59

by keelyn » Sep 19th, '06, 11:59

This site seems to think 5 cups of green tea contains too much tannin. If that's true, maybe you are preventing some absorbtion of minerals. Using supplements/vitamins might help though.

Nov 29th, '06, 21:19

I had to buy a tooth brightening toothpaste

by mamawama » Nov 29th, '06, 21:19

My teeth were really starting to turn brown, like I'd never seen. But the rembrandt whitening toothpaste cleaned it up in about 2 weeks, and I'm still using it.

Dec 9th, '06, 04:27

by sjschen » Dec 9th, '06, 04:27

Tannins also coagulate proteins and deactivates digestive enzymes if consumed in large quantities. Maybe this is why people who over-quaff teas lose weight or wear off their stomach linings :wink:

Dec 9th, '06, 05:21

by deadfingers » Dec 9th, '06, 05:21

sjschen wrote:Tannins also coagulate proteins and deactivates digestive enzymes if consumed in large quantities. Maybe this is why people who over-quaff teas lose weight or wear off their stomach linings :wink:
What does that mean? I noticed it said "coagulate proteins", would that mean that muscle would start to decrease? I am big into lifting and such and would hate to have this sort of side effect from drinking tea.

Dec 9th, '06, 09:45

by sjschen » Dec 9th, '06, 09:45

deadfingers wrote:What does that mean? I noticed it said "coagulate proteins", would that mean that muscle would start to decrease? I am big into lifting and such and would hate to have this sort of side effect from drinking tea.
Not sure if the bigger tannins reach you bloodstream. Some cathechin and their byproducts might, but I'm not sure if they do so in large enough quantities to coagulate proteins, which would be very very bad and far beyond just attacking muscle tissue. My understanding is most tannins are eliminated in feces binding fats and proteins such that they are undigested.
Last edited by sjschen on Dec 9th, '06, 10:06, edited 1 time in total.

Dec 9th, '06, 09:49

Wow, maybe this is why I have lost so much weight without

by mamawama » Dec 9th, '06, 09:49

even trying! yup, about 15-20 pounds in the past 6 months. Very interesting. I'm pleased with the weight loss though. I've been wanting these last pounds to come off for about 20 years, so it's worth it to me. I will probably ease into less tea in another 5-10 pounds. Have others found this kind of weight loss? If so, which kind of tea specifically are you drinking? Thanks!

Dec 9th, '06, 10:23

Re: Wow, maybe this is why I have lost so much weight withou

by sjschen » Dec 9th, '06, 10:23

mamawama wrote:even trying! yup, about 15-20 pounds in the past 6 months. Very interesting. I'm pleased with the weight loss though. I've been wanting these last pounds to come off for about 20 years, so it's worth it to me. I will probably ease into less tea in another 5-10 pounds. Have others found this kind of weight loss? If so, which kind of tea specifically are you drinking? Thanks!
Hmmm...never noticed actually. Tell, the truth I find it's kinda a waste of food since you don't get to absorb all the nutrients, calories or otherwise, that you ingest.

I cherish my calories :D

+ Post Reply