Jul 16th, '09, 06:31

by clareandromeda » Jul 16th, '09, 06:31

my condolences :cry:

Oct 31st, '09, 23:54

Re: Teaware Loss (Viewer discretion is advised)

by Travelogue88 » Oct 31st, '09, 23:54

I haven't broken tea ware but I have lost some... I was moving and my mother left my chawan because she was in a rush. When we got back to the old house we couldn't find it, I had a feeling one of the movers took it. So every day, I think that they're probably using it as a rice bowl...and putting it in a dishwasher... and it makes me tear up.

It was given to me as a graduation gift from a teacher. </3

Nov 1st, '09, 00:19

by tenuki » Nov 1st, '09, 00:19

Impermanence

Nov 1st, '09, 00:33
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Nov 1st, '09, 00:33

Travelogue88 wrote:I haven't broken tea ware but I have lost some... I was moving and my mother left my chawan because she was in a rush. When we got back to the old house we couldn't find it, I had a feeling one of the movers took it. So every day, I think that they're probably using it as a rice bowl...and putting it in a dishwasher... and it makes me tear up.

It was given to me as a graduation gift from a teacher. </3
There are worse fates. Think that someone is valuing something they found and using it every day. Much better than the alternative.
:cry:

Nov 1st, '09, 00:39

by JBaymore » Nov 1st, '09, 00:39

Seeing the pottery and lifestyle of the people in Onda (said more like Onta) Sarayama had a profound impact on me back in the late 60's. It significantly impacted my life's study and work ever since then.

I currently have one single yunomi from there. The clay they use is a little brittle and the potting is thin. About two years ago, as I was washing it in the kitchen sink, I just "tapped" the rim of the yunomi on the faucet. Not a big hit. Just a little whack. One tiny moment of a lapse of full attention. CRACK! Not fully broken, but cracked. Luckily the crack is minor and it is still functional, with the tea slowly staining in the fracture line.

It adds character to the piece........ but I worry that someday it will finally let go.

One of the things that makes pottery so special IS that it is transient and fragile. For the good pieces therefore, the increased attention level inherent in using a valuable and cherished object brings the experience of using them into sharp focus.

best,

.................john

Nov 1st, '09, 01:08

Re: Teadrunk thread idea is splendid.

by Tea and coffee » Nov 1st, '09, 01:08

Intuit wrote:We should have such a thread here at TC. In same cases, it's instructional - you get to see a wall cross-section of yixing-ware, for example. In others, you get ideas for what to do with beloved teaware that is no longer functional, but has sentimental value - make it into art for your tearoom or kitchen (see the teadrunk thread for a nice example).

If you wanted to be creative, the broken bits of ceramic or porcelain can be made into trivets or even jewelry (there are companies that specialize in this art, you can find them on the web).
That just reminded me. I was given as a gift 2 chinese ceramic pendants made from broken dishes that are supposed to be hundred of years old.
One is a pendant framed in silver and the ceramic is white and blue- I think it is a dragon...haven't worn it in a while so trying to remember.

Also you could get a file and sand the edges and then get some square metal wire at Micheals crafts and make some jewelery.

or...of you are a guy buy a wooden frame and make a picture frame or some wooden board and make a collage or wall decoration.

or even use the ceramic to decorate a box on the top part or sides.

the big crafts stores usually sell files and glass c utters. The hardware store here they had a small glass cutting wheel for $10 it kind of look like an exacto knife, but sturdier...

Oh,
I just thought of a great idea for broken dishes and ceramics ect...
get a large wooden or whatever frame and glue the glass and ceramics on the frame and then get a mirror for the middle part and have a nice funky mirror :)

Also if you have a broken tea pot or handle you can always file the part you could not fix down and use as a flower vase.
My "cheap" vase is actually a ceramic pitcher...supposed to be for water.

Nov 1st, '09, 08:18

by JBaymore » Nov 1st, '09, 08:18

This one looks like it is a bit beyond the effort it would take, but you could do the "urushi (Japanese lacquer) and gold powder technique to put it back together and glorify that breakage and the care you lavished on re-constructing it.

Or you could go the Rick Dillingham route:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... n%26sa%3DG

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... start%3D20

best,

.................john

Nov 1st, '09, 12:52

by bronzebed » Nov 1st, '09, 12:52

i'm clumsy, so i'm constantly worried that i'm going to break something special. so far, i've only broken the piece below and my kyusu. the kyusu a friend saw me about to throw out and asked for it. she thinks she can make it work for her, so that makes me happy but now i need a new kyusu.

Nov 1st, '09, 15:32

by e d o » Nov 1st, '09, 15:32

Not broken but I had a super nice, one-of-a-kind Japanese cup set go missing in the post this summer. I really wanted them too. I don't think I'll have anything shipped SAL anymore.

Nov 1st, '09, 15:53

by bonjiri » Nov 1st, '09, 15:53

alas

happened in shipping .

from texas to hawaii. woodfired matcha jawan
Attachments
3818789346_6e06a0a7a9.jpg
3818789346_6e06a0a7a9.jpg (24.25 KiB) Viewed 1302 times

Nov 1st, '09, 16:08

by shyrabbit » Nov 1st, '09, 16:08

Lost this chawan while packing it to ship, simply jumped from my hands...The first ceramic piece I've ever broken, embarrassing to say the least.
Michael
get_convo_image.jpg
get_convo_image.jpg (19.03 KiB) Viewed 1299 times

Nov 1st, '09, 16:30
Scrolling: scrolling

by Geekgirl » Nov 1st, '09, 16:30

Oh no! I remember that piece on your Etsy store, shyrabbit. It was lovely!

John, if you know where a person could get their hands on a repair kit, either urushi/gold or silver, or whatever the non-poisonous variety is, I would be indebted. I have a favorite bowl that needs reinforcement for a rather severe cracking I gave it this summer. I'd love to be able to use it again.

Nov 1st, '09, 16:37

by edkrueger » Nov 1st, '09, 16:37

bonjiri wrote:alas

happened in shipping .

from texas to hawaii. woodfired matcha jawan
Was that from a Texas potter?

Nov 1st, '09, 16:51
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Nov 1st, '09, 16:51

I recently resurrected a broken yixing :lol:

Before:

After:
http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?p= ... ght=jbweld

Reborn:

It now shares a lid with another pot :D The lid is not perfect but size fits :mrgreen:

Nov 1st, '09, 16:57

by AdamMY » Nov 1st, '09, 16:57

Happened in shipping from China, the gaiwan is still mostly usable, I just can't fill it up too high.

But the saucer did not survive.

+ Post Reply