Whats the lowdown on the Utilitea Kettle's Temperature knob?

We're always open to a little constructive criticism.

Nov 2nd, '09, 12:03

Whats the lowdown on the Utilitea Kettle's Temperature knob?

by nitaant » Nov 2nd, '09, 12:03

I own a new model utilitea and have been using it for awhile. I drink only green teas right now, both japanese and chinese, both mid-high grade as well as connoisseur grade, and need a variety of temperatures available to me.

My online research has revealed thus so far:

Most people in their reviews simply complain that the temperature knob could use numbers or at least a chart to go along with it in the manual, but no indications as to what the temperatures are.

One or two reviews say that they used a candy thermometer to figure out the temperatures, and discovered a range such as

Lower White: 130 F, high white, 150F, high green 180F, high white (second white) 200f, all the way (orange) 212F.

I myself, without the use of a thermometer, just my brewed tea and dipping my finger into the water to check the temperature, definitely notice a difference in the temperatures, similar to the range above.

Somewhere else I read that it is kind of a sham, there are only two temperatures, 180 and 212.

This is what Adagio customer support has told me as well,
"Hi Nitaant,

There are only two temperature options. The gradient does not indicate other
temperature options.

Thank you for your note. Please visit us again soon,

Adagio Teas
http://www.adagio.com"
This product is great but any company that makes something so vague is quite questionable in my book. First off, how did the guy who measured the temperatures at different settings get such a variety of temperatures if there are only two settings? There simply cannot be only two settings, as I most certainly experience different temperatures at different settings. Why in the world, then, is Adagio saying, and basically admitting, that the entire product's subtle marketing is a sham and that there are only two temperatures?

Anyone who knows anything or owns this kettle care to add to this?

Cheers

Nov 2nd, '09, 13:11

Re: Whats the lowdown on the Utilitea Kettle's Temperature knob?

by nitaant » Nov 2nd, '09, 13:11

Heres another response another member of this forum got,

"Here's a reply from Adagio:

"Thank you for your note. The utiliTEA is meant to function with the green
and orange settings only, with the spring turning all the way to the
orange/boiling setting. We hope this information helps!""

Then WHY are there other markings, all the white ranges in between? If it is 'meant' to function only in the green and orange settings, why in the world does it have other ranges? It should just have a two option switch or knob.

I love the product but I almost feel like reporting this to the BBB. Ridiculous gimmickry.

Nov 2nd, '09, 13:44
Scrolling: scrolling

by Margules » Nov 2nd, '09, 13:44

I don't actually have the Utilitea, but I'm not quite sure what you are so upset about.

If Adagio says that their kettle only functions at two temperature settings, but you have found that you can further adjust the temperature by setting the knob between the two presets, then the kettle has more functionality than advertised, and you should be happy.

All of the teas I have ordered from Adagio have had recommended water temperatures of either 180 or 212 degrees. I imagine that those are the temperatures that the utilitea kettle is designed to heat water to,and that the reason that they only acknowledge those two settings is not because the kettle is incapable of achieving different temperatures, but because they have not designed it to do so, and are therefore unwilling to guarantee that it will do so reliably.

Either way, if you really have that big a problem with the product, this thread should probably be moved to the feedback forum, to make sure Adagio has a chance to respond to your criticism.

Nov 2nd, '09, 13:48
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Nov 2nd, '09, 13:48

Margules wrote:Either way, if you really have that big a problem with the product, this thread should probably be moved to the feedback forum, to make sure Adagio has a chance to respond to your criticism.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have moved it to Adagio>Feedback. I have left the "shadow" post here for today so the OP can find it easily.

Nov 2nd, '09, 17:24

by nonc_ron » Nov 2nd, '09, 17:24

No knob :)
Last edited by nonc_ron on Nov 3rd, '09, 07:46, edited 3 times in total.

Nov 2nd, '09, 18:15

by xine » Nov 2nd, '09, 18:15

HI Nitaant!

Thanks for your post; we are sorry to hear that you are so 'heated' :P about our kettle! I talked to the higher ups here at Adagio Teas and this is what I can offer-

When we state 'variable temperature,' we designed the kettle with two temperatures in mind- the 180 and 212- because these are the two temperatures we suggest for our teas (and the temperatures that we list on our teas). Different temperatures do register in between the green and orange, since you are making the temperature higher. However, since different people will get various temperatures in that 'white area' we cannot (from a legal standpoint and design standpoint since it's a tiny tiny area) designate it as such. So, we recommend the two temperature (which we mark) but the higher you go from green to orange, the temperature will rise and there are interim temperatures in the white area of the dial.

Very sorry that our CS department replied in a misleading way. I think with the first response you posted it meant to state what I explained above, but failed to (don't worry- I'll let them know!) We never mean to be misleading concerning our products, and if you are still unsatisfied with the kettle, I invite you to contact me and we can discuss it further.

-xine/Christine

Nov 2nd, '09, 18:18
Scrolling: fixed

by Intuit » Nov 2nd, '09, 18:18

180 deg F = temp at which water starts to simmer, and 212 deg F is typical boiling point for water (assuming you are not at high elevation).

How rheostats work:

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5217277_rh ... -work.html

(technical explanation link at bottom of page, under 'References')

This is usually taught in Intro electricity coursework in 9th or 10th grade.
Last edited by Intuit on Nov 2nd, '09, 18:23, edited 1 time in total.

Nov 2nd, '09, 18:22

by nitaant » Nov 2nd, '09, 18:22

haha, I didn't realize that this is in fact adiago's forum, in the belly of the beast, and that I can get a direct response. I just thought it was a misc tea forum.

That said, my issue isn't big, sure, it seems I am just feeling anal about products and gimmickery. No mass consumer product would stand up to something like this, this one does because of the niche it caters to, and the fact that the consumers purchase their tea from them as well. I don't purchase adiago tea, i just purchased the kettle straight off amazon. It said variable temperature, didn't say that it only correctly gets 180 and 212, just a mild marketing allusion to it in saying "180 is required for green teas and 212 for black and coffee lovers!". Then it has a full dial with many, many notches. I read a review or two saying its a great, sturdy product that boils well and the variable temp is great, purchased it, and forgot about it till it arrived.

To find now that it is not an accurate variable temperature as - while not explicitly - subliminally advertised, by not specifying what the product does clearly, nor what it doesn't, and showing a large number of notches on the dial, as a kettle that is intended to provide a wide range of temperatures.

I don't own a cooking thermometer, ill have to go out and by one. Thats fine, ultimately, I'm not going to return the product as its great for what it is, and I guess using a thermometer and marking it myself will end up working out. This doesn't change the fact that I consider a company that would market a product in such a way - making it seem to the uneducated consumer that it is intended to work with a variety of temperatures accurately, when it is only intended to work with two temperatures - rather questionable at the least, or at least quite careless in their advertising.

Cheers

Nov 3rd, '09, 14:21

by Oolonga » Nov 3rd, '09, 14:21

I used to own Adagio's kettle for a year or so, hated it because it indeed has only two temperature options and since even 5F make a noticeable difference in the taste of tea I had to measure water manually with a thermometer every time...
I switched to this kettle as soon as it appeared on the market and can't be happier.

Mar 2nd, '10, 21:52

by plant partaker » Mar 2nd, '10, 21:52

where did you get that kettle at and how much is it

Mar 3rd, '10, 17:36

by Chatsworth » Mar 3rd, '10, 17:36

Regarding Nitaant's assertion that this is an Adagio site and therefore really biased in favor of their products. I can only state that I have been amazed at the openness shown on this site towards multiple other vendors.

Teas are discussed and praised which have been purchased from other vendors. I, personally, have never noticed anyone trying to push Adagio's products, other than folks describing positive experiences with them. Hey, they do have good things and outstanding customer service and are one of the few places that host forums such as this.

Also, regarding the "picky" issues regarding exact temperatures is ridiculus. Is the OP measuring dissolved solids in ppm, the pH, or exactly what might be dissolve in the water. Are tea weights and water amounts being measured in micrograms or milliliters? Are steeping times measured in seconds?

Let's just face it, what does a degree or two mean?

Just enjoy your tea.

+ Post Reply