Rose scented/flavored tea

Let us know if you've found the perfect product for Adagio to sell.

Rose scented/flavored tea

Postby Mary R » Dec 14th, '06, 01:27

I love a good black tea (ceylon in particular) scented or flavored with rose petals and rosebuds. It's decadence in a cup.

I'm an English lit student, and this is the tea I turn to whenever I need incentive to read dry primary texts, highly academic criticisms, or obscenely difficult theory. In other words...I drink it every day. It has become my crack cocaine.

Unfortunately, my dealer's been nailed and I don't have no Pepsi habit. :) I'm on my last canister tin and would love to be able to buy a similar product from Adagio.

EDIT: I figured I should amend this, just in case. Ceylon is fine, but this flavor is better with Keemun and pretty interesting with Yunnan. (2/12/07)
Last edited by Mary R on Feb 12th, '07, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.
Mary R

Postby Samovar » Dec 14th, '06, 08:54

I also wish that Adagio would carry this tea and I favor the ceylon also.

I currently drink Rose Petal tea from the Republic of Tea but I would prefer to purchase it from Adagio.

Teatime
Samovar

Postby sjschen » Dec 14th, '06, 12:10

Just to hold you over, if you have access to a Chinatown or a Chinese supermarket then you may be able to find dried rose buds, chrysenthemum, and osmanthus.

And with some good black tea, you can become your own dealer ;)
sjschen

Postby Daughteroftheki... » Dec 14th, '06, 22:00

Yes, Adagio, please bring on the roses!
Mary R, you can also find rosebuds at enjoyingtea.com and teaspring.com. They do blend really well with all sorts of teas, like darjeeling or snowbud.
Daughteroftheki...

Rosebud! Rosebud!

Postby Mary R » Dec 17th, '06, 00:42

Thanks for the suggestions! It didn't even occur to me that *I* could put my own roses in my own tea. Wow. I feel like I've been beaten with the stupid stick. :) I spent a very happy hour looking over those sites, and the next time I run down to Indianapolis, I'll pop into the Asian grocery to see what they offer.

The Republic of Tea's "Rose Petal" is also my current brew. It's a good one, but I think they sprinkle the tea or the petals with a little extra rose oil. You open that canister and, *poof,* you're in a flower shop.
Mary R

Postby Word4word » Jan 1st, '07, 19:16

I agree. I love rose tea! Personally, I would like a decaf version, though, so I can drink it any time.
Word4word

Re: Rosebud! Rosebud!

Postby Chip » Jan 1st, '07, 20:03

Mary R wrote:Thanks for the suggestions! It didn't even occur to me that *I* could put my own roses in my own tea. Wow. I feel like I've been beaten with the stupid stick. :) I spent a very happy hour looking over those sites, and the next time I run down to Indianapolis, I'll pop into the Asian grocery to see what they offer.

The Republic of Tea's "Rose Petal" is also my current brew. It's a good one, but I think they sprinkle the tea or the petals with a little extra rose oil. You open that canister and, *poof,* you're in a flower shop.

I think authentic Rose tea (traditionally speaking) is simply layered with fresh petals during the manufacturing of the tea much like true jasmine tea is layered with fresh blossums during manufacture. When done this way, I like either...tastes so natural...and contemplative. When rose or jasmine oil is added after the fact...it just tastes and smells aweful to me. RofT used to only sell authentic versions...but they have gotten away from that practice for at least several years for most of their floral teas.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Parelle » Jan 7th, '07, 23:26

May I ask for a variation on this great idea - a Rose Flavored Earl Grey! I've had several, but as I'm addicted to the Adagio Earl Grey, I'd like best to have it from here.
Parelle

Re: Rose scented/flavored tea

Postby groovy35 » Aug 19th, '12, 11:22

In order to get the rose flavor that you get from made tea like numi white rose or republic of tea rose petal tea.
You need to use specific roses such as these species rosa centifolia and Rosa demask both are old garden roses aka cabbage roses and both are used in perfumery and rose water. in fact rose water is used in this process to saturate black and white tea then dried with rose buds in a basket (for home use) or something that the big companies use to dry them quicker than the sun. If you chose to make your own line basket with paper towels and replace every few hours to prevent mold. Rose buds should be gathered before they open fully and just show the flower petals when their still small this keeps the flavour pure and strong.
Side note Rosa centifolia also called may rose because it only blooms in april-may.
Tea roses will only add a fruity note but no pure rose flavour. The may rose and demask rose are the only roses strongly perfumed to release their fragrance into the tea. you can grow these beautiful roses just look for online for old garden roses. You will need 2-4 rose bushes to make a decent amt of tea then vacume seal what your not using. mettal tins keeps flavour longer.
groovy35

Re: Rosebud! Rosebud!

Postby groovy35 » Aug 19th, '12, 11:26

Chip wrote:
Mary R wrote:Thanks for the suggestions! It didn't even occur to me that *I* could put my own roses in my own tea. Wow. I feel like I've been beaten with the stupid stick. :) I spent a very happy hour looking over those sites, and the next time I run down to Indianapolis, I'll pop into the Asian grocery to see what they offer.

I think authentic Rose tea (traditionally speaking) is simply layered with fresh petals during the manufacturing of the tea much like true jasmine tea is layered with fresh blossums during manufacture. When done this way, I like either...tastes so natural...and contemplative. When rose or jasmine oil is added after the fact...it just tastes and smells aweful to me. RofT used to only sell authentic versions...but they have gotten away from that practice for at least several years for most of their floral teas.

Sadly rose does not do this with out a pressing method where as jasmine releases its fragrance and oil more freely which is why green tea leaves work best because black can be over bearing.
groovy35

Re: Rose scented/flavored tea

Postby Snooteaperson » Mar 24th, '13, 11:24

'Scuse me while I rez this thread, but rosehip tea is part of my Serbian heritage and it's hard to find in the US. It would be amazing if Adagio started carrying it! (Plus, rosehips have lots of health benefits. =P)
Snooteaperson

Instant Messenger

Permissions