sample box quantities

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jul 16th, '05, 16:42

sample box quantities

by PeteVu » Jul 16th, '05, 16:42

i understand that the samples are around 1oz, give or take depending on the tea. I was wondering that if the words below it that say "makes 10 cups" means 10 cups, infusing the leaves once, or 10 cups, doing multiple infusions.
There are four advantages to green tea... Its beauty, its taste, its aroma, and its health benefits. Learn to enjoy the first three and you'll forget you drank it for the fourth. ^^

Jul 16th, '05, 18:43
Adagio

by ilya » Jul 16th, '05, 18:43

All estimates assume one infusion per cup.

Jul 18th, '05, 13:53

Re: sample box quantities

by Mike B » Jul 18th, '05, 13:53

PeteVu wrote:i understand that the samples are around 1oz, give or take depending on the tea. I was wondering that if the words below it that say "makes 10 cups" means 10 cups, infusing the leaves once, or 10 cups, doing multiple infusions.
What is this "multiple infusions" mishigas? Can you do that? Granted, I'm new to loose-leaf tea and have only recently learned that, turns out, no, you're not supposed to leave the tea bag in the mug for the duration of the drinking -- so maybe one really can do multiple infusions if one doesn't, you know, abuse the tea.

Can one?

Jul 18th, '05, 14:36

by chris » Jul 18th, '05, 14:36

Thanks for the note.

I get this question a lot (or some variation of "to reuse or not to reuse?"). Personally, I rarely re-steep because of the bacteria factor (the only exception being a few oolongs that wonderfully change tastes depending on the infusion). There are plenty of bacteria that love hangin' out around spent tea leaves, just waiting to give you an infection!

Not to mention that there is no caffeine! Yikes!!

Yet, some folks love to re-steep (whether this decision is gastronomic or economic is anyone's guess!). I'm content with letting other people re-steep -- it leaves more fresh tea for me!

Different strokes,

Chris
Adagio Maestro

+ Post Reply