tea search: sweet without sugar

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Jun 7th, '05, 15:11
Mod/Admin

tea search: sweet without sugar

by teachat » Jun 7th, '05, 15:11

I got tea from Bejing, China from my neice and it was sweet even though it did not have any added sugar. Since the box was written in Chinese characters I do not know its name. Does anyone know the name of that tea?

Jun 7th, '05, 15:12
Mod/Admin

by teachat » Jun 7th, '05, 15:12

Writer, editor, irascible curmudgeon

You might be looking for lychee nut tea. It is made from Black Tea mixed with the peels of lychee (sometimes spelled lichee) a sweet tropical fruit.

When brewed, it has a reddish-brown hue, strong sweet aroma and a light sweet taste as if sweetened with honey.

It is excellent for ice tea and the perverse, can add milk or cream.

You can usually find it either loose or in bags in Chinatown groceries, or online at:

http://www.tenrenus.com/lycheeblacktea.html

It would be a nice addition to the Adagio line.

Doc

Mod/Admin

I also carry a lychee keemun conjou tea if your interested in a sample. I have 228 teas now includeing adagios fine teas and im sure we can come up with something. Thankyou glen

Glens Teas -N- Things

Mod/Admin

I am entertaining ideas on seeking out and making teas from existing wild plants in Georgia. Any ideas?

teeball

Nov 30th, '05, 05:14

by JamesBeach » Nov 30th, '05, 05:14

Perhaps it has stevia leaf in it, which is a natural sweetening herb. I believe it makes up something like 40% of sweeteners in Japan, so it's entirely possible it is used in China and may have been included in the teabag. It can be purchased in the US, but as a "dietary supplement" (a stupid arrangement made in favor of the sugar monopolies). Just an idea, but it's probably pretty unlikely.

+ Post Reply