Question on Earl Grey

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Nov 23rd, '09, 22:15

Question on Earl Grey

by bill38112 » Nov 23rd, '09, 22:15

I'm somewhat new to to serious tea drinking. It's not that I haven't been exposed to quality teas in the past. My son frequently gifts me with serious teas. It's just that I only recently have made any attempt to educate myself on what I was drinking.

After sampling a few black teas, I order a 4 oz tin of Adagio's Early Grey Bravo. When I received the clear lid tin, I noticed that there was a film on the lid to which the tea leaves had stuck. Is this normal? I can appreciate that Earl Grey is oil infused, but this is the first time, I've opened a tin or bag that where the leaves were stuck to the packaging. However, this is the first time I've ordered this particular Earl Grey in this particular packaging.

I have to admit that I found this offering to be overpowering with a strong chemical taste too it. So do I have a spoiled tin or just one that is not to my taste?

Bill

Nov 23rd, '09, 23:08

Re: QUESTION ON EARL GREY

by kymidwife » Nov 23rd, '09, 23:08

Bill,

Welcome to TeaChat. :)

I have seen that several of the flavored teas I've ordered from various vendors tend to stick more to the container/tin they arrive in. I have always assumed it was related to the flavoring/scenting process and presence of oils, etc.

As for the Earl Grey Bravo, it has a fairly potent flavor profile... much loved by those who enjoy the bergamot flavor, and very startling :shock: to someone who's new to Earl Grey or not really into flavored teas. I would suggest you try it again... but cut it in half by adding some decent basic black tea to it, about 50% unflavored black tea and 50% Earl Grey... and see how that goes. If still too overpowering for you, you can always reduce/dilute the mixture further, or slightly underbrew. This is how I used up my Earl Grey Bravo sample (and an even stronger sample from Upton's called Extra Bergamot Earl Grey :shock: :? ), and I enjoyed it very much in this milder concentration. More recently, I discovered Lady Earl Grey, which is much lighter in flavoring... and much more to my taste. On the rare occasion that I want a touch of flavoring in my tea, I reach for the Lady.

Sarah

Nov 23rd, '09, 23:21

by bill38112 » Nov 23rd, '09, 23:21

Thanks, Sarah,

I was mostly concerned that I might have received a rancid tin. This was not my first Earl Grey, but it was my first Earl Grey from a tea specialty source. My only local source for loose tea are shops which carry tea as an secondary item to the cofee. I did brew a second cup using less tea and less steeping time and I got a more palatable cup. I'll try blending it with my Irish Breakfast and see if that works better for me. However, I suspect I will be looking for another afternoon cup. :D

Bill

Nov 25th, '09, 22:10

by Cinnamon Kitty » Nov 25th, '09, 22:10

Compared to most other Earl Grey teas, the Earl Grey Bravo from Adagio is definitely potent. There are more milder Earl Grey teas out there, but as everyone's tastes and opinions of what makes a a great Earl Grey are different, your best bet to try a few different ones from different tea vendors.

My personal favorite is the White Tip Earl Grey from TeaSource, though currently, I have been drinking an Organic Earl Grey from the New Mexico Tea Company. Both are delicious.

Nov 26th, '09, 17:53

by MFA » Nov 26th, '09, 17:53

You might want to try a green Earl Gray or Lady Gray or one of the lavendar infused Earls.

Dec 5th, '09, 17:58

by augie » Dec 5th, '09, 17:58

Cinnamon Kitty wrote: My personal favorite is the White Tip Earl Grey from TeaSource, though currently, I have been drinking an Organic Earl Grey from the New Mexico Tea Company. Both are delicious.
CK: Are these your personal favorites b/c they have less intense bergamot? I have one earl gray I love, but pick out the bergamot because it's just too much. Anyone else have a favorite earl gray that is not so intense bergamot flavor???

Dec 6th, '09, 13:41

by Pranter » Dec 6th, '09, 13:41

augie I don't care for the Bravo Earl Gray I got from Adagio, too much Bergamont/oilness for me. I have gotten a very good Earl Gray from Special Teas website though. Much more balanced.

CP

Dec 7th, '09, 18:25

by augie » Dec 7th, '09, 18:25

Thanks, Pranter. I have never tried special teas directly! I bought some "Earl Grace" from Sterling Tea based in Tx. It's really great, as long as I pick out half of the bergamot I want to discover the bergamot, not get slapped in the face with it.

Dec 8th, '09, 19:26

by Cinnamon Kitty » Dec 8th, '09, 19:26

augie wrote:
Cinnamon Kitty wrote: My personal favorite is the White Tip Earl Grey from TeaSource, though currently, I have been drinking an Organic Earl Grey from the New Mexico Tea Company. Both are delicious.
CK: Are these your personal favorites b/c they have less intense bergamot? I have one earl gray I love, but pick out the bergamot because it's just too much. Anyone else have a favorite earl gray that is not so intense bergamot flavor???
Yes. I like my Earl Greys flavorful, but not overpowering. I grew up on Twinnings Earl Grey Tea Bag brewed for 20 to 30 minutes while we ate dinner and cleaned up. The thought of that strength of Earl Grey still makes me cringe.

Dec 8th, '09, 20:50

by RachelC » Dec 8th, '09, 20:50

I too agree the Earl Grey Bravo Adagio sells is overpowering. I actually, created a Signature Blend for just that reason called...Smooth Sophistication under name Rachana Carter. I wanted to keep the robust flavor of the tea but a smooth finish. Check it out. If you do I hope you like and tell me all about it one away or the other. :)

Jan 24th, '10, 12:33

by tjausti » Jan 24th, '10, 12:33

I Love Earl grey bravo from adagio... but I had the same first impression you did....

my fix was simple.... dont follow the instructions that come with it.... adagio says 212 degree water for 5 minutes one tea spoon of leaves per cup.... this makes the chemical taste come out and bitters the tea...

I use 5 - 6 grams of tea @ 180-200 degrees for 2 minutes. (approx twice as much tea steeped half as long) comes out sweet and rich....

I get about 3 good steeps each.... 6 minutes for second steep 12 minutes 3rd.....

Give it a try....

Jan 29th, '10, 12:16

Re: Question on Earl Grey

by teacast » Jan 29th, '10, 12:16

Probably a reason that they call it "bravo." It is very rich in flavor, unlike most Earl Grey's, but maybe that's what they were going for!

+ Post Reply