Are there any teas you wished Adagio carried?

Be a part of "TeaRetailer" history in the making.

Are there any teas you wished Adagio carried?

Postby Charles » Dec 4th, '09, 10:36

I'm working with the team at Adagio Teas to expand the tea collection and I'd love to get customer feedback on any teas that you would like to see us carry!

Read more about our plans to modify the tea collection at http://www.tearetailer.com/article_6.html and let me know your thoughts.

Charles Cain
Adagio Teas
Charles

Re: Are there any teas you wished Adagio carried?

Postby Chip » Dec 4th, '09, 12:02

Having read your interesting and informative article (thanks for sharing), classic greens for a "master series" gets my vote.

A premium quality Long Jing, first flush. Appearance, fresh dry leaf aroma, more classic LJ flavor profile are all paramount. All these would need to be elevated above the current Dragon Well offering.

And definitely first flush Japanese greens, perhaps an Asamushi and a Fukamushi in a more Japanese package that would show Adagio cares about quality and freshness. It is useless to bring in a premium sencha and store it in bulk in some warehouse, opening the bulk container frequently. Freshness is paramount. Should arrive stateside prepackaged at the source! Hopefully cold stored by Adagio upon receipt from Japan.

Perhaps a regional "tour" of offerings from Uji, Kagoshima, Shizouka, and possibly Yame.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Mrs. Chip » Dec 4th, '09, 12:07

Chip wrote:Having read your interesting and informative article (thanks for sharing), classic greens for a "master series" gets my vote.

+1, since Japanese Greens reign supreme in our TeaHome. :wink:
Mrs. Chip

Postby Charles » Dec 4th, '09, 12:17

Ah... music to my ears. We've been cupping Lung Chings and found an excellent one for the Master's Collection. Also have been reviewing Fukamushis and Tamaryokuchas but have been a little disappointed by the quality. I'm looking for incredible here and that's had to find. :)
Charles

Postby Chip » Dec 4th, '09, 12:25

Looking for incredible! Excellent!!!!!!!

It appears that domestic USA vendors have not generally "gotten it" when it comes to Japanese greens. It is virtually impossible to source excellent offerings the way they do it, just does not work.

I believe Rishi is a good example of how a domestic vendor is thinking outside the box when it comes to sourcing Japanese greens, going to the source, visiting Japan and better developing relationships first hand. :wink: Yeah, a big investment in the short run, but hopefully big dividends in the long run.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby macalan » Dec 6th, '09, 17:10

I'm sorry I don't have a specific tea. But I would love to see more (better) Pu Erhs.
macalan

Postby geeber1 » Dec 6th, '09, 23:14

Some estate teas from the Nilgiri region of India would be nice, as well as more Darjeelings.
geeber1

Postby Victoria » Dec 6th, '09, 23:23

geeber1 wrote:Some estate teas from the Nilgiri region of India would be nice, as well as more Darjeelings.

+1 As Geeber states some quality Nilgiri and Estate Darjeelings would be great. Also of course, I have a weakness for greener premium high mountain oolongs.

I have been thinking for some time, that it would be nice if Adagio would additionally offer a premium line of tea. I know the participants of TeaChat are a discerning group of connoisseurs who would be supportive toward moving in this area. Sounds good to me!
Victoria

Postby Charles » Dec 7th, '09, 13:32

Victoria, that is a wicked cool teacup! Where did you find that? (Do I need to go chop wood to compensate for the fact that I'm in awe of a heart shaped teacup?)
Charles

Postby Victoria » Dec 7th, '09, 14:21

Awww thank you!! Actually I had it saved as a favorite picture before I even joined TeaChat. It's not that often you find OOLONG in that style of cup. When I joined I knew immediately what icon to use! So many people began asking about it, and if it was mine, that I set out to own it. It took some time, but I finally did! There are some other heart shaped cups out there, but nothing as large as this one - made by Arita -Japan: http://www.inoshonline.com/ari001.html
Victoria

Postby teaisme » Dec 8th, '09, 17:42

Adagio Masters Collection comprised of between 12 and 24 premium teas which may be accurately described by some or all of the following: Limited edition, seasonal, single estate, small farm, and/or hand processed. This Masters Collection would be set apart both in packaging and in-store presentation, and would be priced well above the average of the regular collection. Teas which sell for between $25 and $65 for 4 ounces should be the target, with periodic entries at even higher price points.

Spot on man. Its about time. I have always seen adagio as an entry point into tea and not much else (minus a few good value priced teawares). I see the quality of adagio tea and tea knowledge on the rise!

Some competitvely priced higher quality taiwan oolongs would be great! The ones carried now I do not like at all and make me think bad thoughts.

I think it should be noted that not all great teas are expensive. There are plenty of teas out there that could probably go into your special collection but are cheaper then some of the price points for the teas you carry now. If adagio doesn't jack up the prices too high I think they will gain more trust and customer loyalty among those who consume tea ceremoniously and have an general awareness of tea prices.
teaisme

Postby boywoodhe » Dec 14th, '09, 10:58

Hi, Charles
I live in florida and I'm thinking about having/owning a small tea store. In florida decaf ice teas do very well,because of the heat. Will adagio be carrying decaf iced teas in a bottle? Will you also have a decaf chocolate tea? decaf cinnamon? and banana? apple?almond? caramel? other bigger selection of decaf flavored/non flavored decaf teas.
yours in teas :D
woodie
boywoodhe

Postby Charles » Dec 14th, '09, 11:49

boywoodhe wrote:Will adagio be carrying decaf iced teas in a bottle?

The short answer is that it remains to be seen, but an expansion of Adagio's Bottled Iced Tea (Anteadote) line won't happen immediately.

My experience is that the market for decaf teas is still relatively small, and that decaf drinkers are typically resistant to paying much beyond grocery store pricing. This limits the opportunities for someone like Adagio to carry a broad collection of iced teas. I have seen a number of retailers expand their decaffeinated loose tea collection in response to customer requests, only to see sales fail to meet expectations.
Charles

Postby jazz88 » Dec 15th, '09, 16:14

I really like rose tea and I wish Adagio would carry that. Also rose and grape flavored sencha would be awesome.
As a spring special – sakura sencha. Then on the home page you could add randomly loading haiku + some falling sakura petals ...
jazz88

Postby TeaPeople » Dec 22nd, '09, 18:38

White ground tea. Muzi carries it. I haven't seen it around anywhere else. Does the white ground tea have that much more antioxidants as matcha?
TeaPeople

Next

Instant Messenger

Permissions