Definitive list of brew times?

For general/other topics related to tea.

Dec 4th, '09, 09:42

Definitive list of brew times?

by coolate » Dec 4th, '09, 09:42

Does anyone know of a site or book even that has a huge list of brew times and temperatures for various teas? A lot of loose leaf in bulk or tea swapped with friends may not have it listed, and a good place to get a cheat sheet would be cool. I know many teas like fresh sencha depend on the variety.

Dec 4th, '09, 14:41

Re: Definitive list of brew times?

by teaisme » Dec 4th, '09, 14:41

There prob isn't and shouldn't be a 'definitive list' because everyone's tastes are different, there are countless variables to 'brewing', and the actual tea itself changes from day to day/ season to season/ farm to farm.
There are a lot of rough guidelines though in teachat and on vendor websites. Those can sometimes be a good starting point. And a starting point is all that it should be. Experiment, adjust, experiment adjust, over and over and over again.

Here are just a few I found for you. A lot more can be found by looking around.

http://chineseteas101.com/brewtable.htm
http://www.denstea.com/index.php?main_p ... ct_brewing
http://zencha.net/brewing.php#bottom

The other info on these pages is more useful in my opinion then these tables though.

Dec 14th, '09, 14:54

by coolate » Dec 14th, '09, 14:54

Thanks! Great links. I know there is defiantly a lot of experimenting to be had with each tea, but a good place to start your experimenting is great. There is a fine line between art and science on this. The science will get you close, then the art will let you get your own personal best taste out of the tea.

Dec 22nd, '09, 13:53

by dooble » Dec 22nd, '09, 13:53

coolate wrote:There is a fine line between art and science on this. The science will get you close, then the art will let you get your own personal best taste out of the tea.
Amen :). Don't be a slave to the clock/temperature. Seen many people go down that way.

Dec 22nd, '09, 17:42
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Dec 22nd, '09, 17:42

dooble wrote:
coolate wrote:There is a fine line between art and science on this. The science will get you close, then the art will let you get your own personal best taste out of the tea.
Amen :). Don't be a slave to the clock/temperature. Seen many people go down that way.
I could say that art will get you close, and so called "science" will bring it home ... each person is different, each methodology is different. We are all standing in desired points in time when it comes to what technology we will use and that which we will not. Perhaps you use an electric kettle instead of cast iron kettle over fire ... ?

Eh hem, paying attention to certain parameters in a manner that is more than you do does not make one a slave. Actually it sets my mind free.

I have always said, brew how you like, like how you brew. Brew in a way that is pleasing to you and accept how others brew if it brings them pleasure and results.

Please share equal tolerance.

Jan 30th, '10, 15:56

by zencha » Jan 30th, '10, 15:56

+ Post Reply