Herbal Tea To Aid Digestion?

Healthy herbs, rooibos, honeybush, decaf tea, and yerba mate.

Dec 18th, '09, 19:04

Herbal Tea To Aid Digestion?

by depravitea » Dec 18th, '09, 19:04

During my wife's pregnancy her gallbladder became infected and had to be removed shorty after giving birth.
I hear this is common enough in pregnant women, but now with the gallbladder gone, and her ability to digest certain things diminished, her digestive processes have changed and she often has stomach issues.

I was wondering if there was a tisane that might aid my wife and her digestion issues. Perhaps something to break down grease?
We understand that a change in diet is recommended, and we have done so, but we're looking for something a bit more proactive without going down the prescription medicine road.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks very much.

Dec 18th, '09, 21:14

Re: Herbal Tea To Aid Digestion?

by beckynoel » Dec 18th, '09, 21:14

I have a couple books on herbs and herbal remedies. One tea recipe I came across was...

make an infusion of the following herbs:
1 oz. chamomile
2/3 oz. peppermint
1 oz. caraway seeds
2/3 oz. angelica

Use 1 tsp. of the mixture per 1 cup of hot water. Steep for ten minutes and strain.

Other herbs that are listed as good for the tummy:
Anise, echinacea , raspberry leaves, dong quai, catnip (or catmint), lemon balm, fennel seeds, calendula, spearmint, and of course GINGER is probably the best and most well know digestive aid.

Alot of these you can find at the grocery store, the rest at health food stores.

Hope she feels better!!

Dec 21st, '09, 00:51

by depravitea » Dec 21st, '09, 00:51

Thanks very much for taking the time to post that.
I'm going to see if I can get all those things together to give it a try.

Jan 14th, '10, 07:39

by Ritva » Jan 14th, '10, 07:39

Peppermint is often used to aid digestion. Not herbal, but shu pu erh is also said to be helpful after eating greasy food. If I remember correctly, especially citrus fruits filled with shu are supposed to be effective (like these ones http://www.yunnansourcing.com/store/pro ... roduct=138)
Also, jasmine tea is supposed to be good for digestion.

Just remember that when you are using herbs, some may have real medicinal properties and are not recommended for constant use.

Jan 14th, '10, 10:56
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 14th, '10, 10:56

If you experience acid reflux, you may want to avoid peppermint as they say this tends to numb the muscle that prevents reflux from occuring. I have some personal experience on this matter and eliminated peppermint totally from my diet. This really seemed to help me.

So, sometimes it is the tea that you don't drink that will aid digestion.

Mar 26th, '10, 18:16

by Evangeline » Mar 26th, '10, 18:16

I have intense IBS and usually what I drink to help with the indigestion and bloating is a mix of fennel seeds and peppermint.

I usually put 2 parts fennel into a mortar and pestle, crack the seeds and then add 1 part peppermint.

That usually calms my stomach within an hour.

Mar 26th, '10, 22:55

by Chatsworth » Mar 26th, '10, 22:55

My wife has great success with Yogi brand Egyption Licorice tea. It contains a variety of herbs and she claims it settles her indigestion wonderfully. Available a health and whole food stores.

Mar 29th, '10, 15:42

by entropyembrace » Mar 29th, '10, 15:42

I find shu puerh is very useful after heavy, fatty meals to prevent bloating...also my gf has digestion issues because of bad food poisoning 10 years ago...she really likes how shu puerh helps her digestion.

Apr 20th, '10, 13:32

by Kattea » Apr 20th, '10, 13:32

Peppermint , caraway , and fennel tea can help. It can help with bloat, gas, cramps.

Aug 12th, '10, 22:59

by sanamionline » Aug 12th, '10, 22:59

May I suggest you eat burdock root (Arctium lappa L.) I know the English word does not sound very appetizing at all and we often call it gobo in Japanese. In Japan we have kinpira gobo which is saute burdock root with carrots. The root can also be added to soups and even a tea is made from the root.
As a mildly bitter-tasting herb, it increases saliva and bile secretion, which aids digestion and cleanses the liver.

I am not sure where to buy it if you don't live in Japan or China but I usually dig it up in my back yard.

+ Post Reply