What's the difference?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jan 4th, '07, 09:30

What's the difference?

by deadfingers » Jan 4th, '07, 09:30

Alright I've been looking into trying Dragon Pearl for a while, I heard it's a pretty good one, although expensive. So I searched around and found it on a few places but just wondering what the difference between these two where:

This one is called an Oolong on Adagio

This one is a green tea of Rishi-teas

So what's the difference? I know that one is more expensive than the other, and one is "organic" so that's why it's more expensive. I just want to know if those are pretty much the same? I like Oolongs better than green tea overall, most green tea tastes like grass and has too light of a taste for me to enjoy. Oolongs usually taste pretty good and give me a good wake up.

Jan 4th, '07, 11:40
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 4th, '07, 11:40

Jasmine tea....this is not a bold in your face tea drinking experience...nor is it grassy. It is generally sweet and floral...very sublime. Jasmine pearls are a fav of any jasmine tea lover. Really great for a quiet moment of reflection. It is usually good for at least 3 infusions.

There is some debate as to whether it is truly a green tea or an oolong. I would call it a green oolong or a pouchong. Regardless, it is a great tea. It is unusual but not unheard of to find organic selections of this tea. I am sure both are quite good...just make sure they are fresh (2006 harvest) so you can capture the essence of the jasmine blossom.

Jan 4th, '07, 20:23

by Joe » Jan 4th, '07, 20:23

They both the same type of tea. Don't worry if it's called green or oolong. It will taste like neither. It'll taste mostly like jasmine flowers; floral, perfumey, and on the sweet side. I'd suggest you give it a try, cause I agree with chip in that it's pretty much the best variety of jasmine scented tea you can get.

Jan 8th, '07, 14:34

Differences

by canadianpride » Jan 8th, '07, 14:34

I understand what is a Pouchong Tea. What is confusing is what makes a Jasmine Tea. I think the leaves are Jasmine in themselves, but are they tossed with scented flowers or is that just with Pouchong Teas. Or is Jasmine Teas made with Pouchong leaves. I am so confused!! Can you help!!

Jan 8th, '07, 15:25
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 8th, '07, 15:25

During the manufacture of a particular true tea, say yin hao, as an added part of the manufacture...jasmine blossoms are "married with the leaves"...usually repeatedly. This is done by layering jasine blossoms with tea leaves. The jasmine scent is absorbed by the tea leaves. The blossoms are generally removed, and although some blossoms may remain, they are drained of their floral scent. In this example it is now a jasmine yin hao. The scent is now in the tea leaves.

If this step had not been done, the tea would be a green tea, but because of this added step, it is a green oolong or pouchong...although some would debate this reclassification.

This is done as a designed part of the tea's manufacture in China and not an after thought spraying the leaf with a jasmine essense as is usually the case of low grade jasmine tea.

+ Post Reply