Storing brewed tea?

For general/other topics related to tea.

Dec 31st, '09, 14:07

Storing brewed tea?

by Mrs_G » Dec 31st, '09, 14:07

I am thinking of getting a thermos to keep my tea hot during the day when I can not brew my tea at home.

Is this a good idea? Will my brewed tea stay flavorful and hot if I brew at 6 am and drink it later on during the day at least 6 -8 hours later?

Since I will be out of the house for the entire day and have no way to heat water, and steep my tea I am looking for an alternative to Starbucks or soda.

Any ideas, tips are appreciated.

Thanks

Jan 3rd, '10, 18:21
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Storing brewed tea?

by Symmetry » Jan 3rd, '10, 18:21

I use a Thermos E5 travel mug to keep my tea hot throughout the day, and compared to tea from the cup at home it tastes the same. Though you should be careful to get a good, highly-insulating travel mug, otherwise your tea may get cold before you're ready to drink it. The Zojirushi Tuff Mug and Thermos E5 products are both very good.

Previous discussion on this topic is here, for reference: http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=446

Jan 4th, '10, 11:34

by beecrofter » Jan 4th, '10, 11:34

Rinse the thermos with boiling water and preheat it, then fill with boiling water. Brew your tea fresh with the hot water.

Jan 15th, '10, 02:56

by debunix » Jan 15th, '10, 02:56

I regularly brew up a quart of tea and carry it around with me, to meetings and clinics, in a 1-quart stanley stainless steel thermos. Most of the time I'm drinking it within 3-5 hours, but for my days at the satellite office, I brew it at 8am and it stays pretty for 8-12 hours, depending on how early I start drinking (and adding empty air to the bottle).

I've found that a variety of teas stand up well to this abuse--oolongs, puerhs, black teas--most green teas can't stand up to the longer days without significant loss of the delicate flavors that are their main draw. The sweet notes of the bright green barely oxidized oolongs do fade quickly, too.

+ Post Reply