Building an accessory collection

Be a part of "TeaRetailer" history in the making.

Building an accessory collection

Postby Charles » Jan 5th, '10, 18:09

Would love to get your feedback on my strategy for expanding Adagio's collection of tea accessories (http://www.tearetailer.com/article_26.html). Also curious to hear your thoughts on Adagio's existing collection of Brewing Equipment.
Charles

Re: Building an accessory collection

Postby teaisme » Jan 5th, '10, 18:56

gaiwans, smaller teapots, tea display dish, nice teaspoons, nice canisters, reusable tea bags/satchets, hum...tea tables or trays , cup coasters/trays , funny ornaments to put on tea tray...
teaisme

Postby Chip » Jan 5th, '10, 19:44

Heh, just posted about this today. viewtopic.php?f=55&t=11616#p140397

Following the "white" Adagio theme, a white high quality Gaiwan would be great.

Also a white porcelain Japanese tea set including cups, water cooler, and a perpendicular handled Kyusu sans infuser basket ... instead a quality screen at the base of the spout. Oh, and authentic Japanese, not a Chinese knock off. :mrgreen:

EDIT/add: These could be Adagio name brand items! which could be complimented with non Adagio name brand similar items for variety beyond the basic whites.

I am NOT a fan of the Tetsubin teapot/cup idea in your article, perhaps a few styles ... the more classics like hob nail, but Teavana does the Tetsubins to death with every motif under the sun, and they are really not overly functional.

Most members who discuss Teavana talk about the mistake people make in buying Tetsubins *raises hand* only to have them sit around as expensive paperweights. I don't think you want to resemble Teavana, yet that should not in itself preclude you from including items they also happen to sell, just don't repeat their tactics/model.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Charles » Jan 6th, '10, 09:43

Chip,

Yes, my post was in response to your request. :)

The cast iron may not be as functional but they DO sell like mad. Some vendors sell low quality knock-offs for the same price as the top quality real thing and that's part of the reason that a lot of people have poorer experiences.

I do think it's important to properly educate the customer, but I would suggest that the Tetsubins are typically more functional than, for example, a Chinese Clay pot. The small size of the clay pots and their propensity to absorb flavors makes them TRULY specialty items. Regardless, both are culturally interesting, aesthetically beautiful, and true to the spirit and beauty of the tea experience. I don't feel bad selling a $200 Tetsubin which is only as functional as a $30 glass teapot any more than I feel bad selling someone a $50 bone china teacup in place of a $5 glass teacup. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the function a serving piece performs sometimes has more to do with feeling than utility.

But to say it again... educating the customer is the key to avoiding buyers remorse. We want them to come back and buy tea... not buy one teapot and resent us and tea forever after. ;)
Charles

Instant Messenger

Permissions