Yerba Mate question

Healthy herbs, rooibos, honeybush, decaf tea, and yerba mate.

Jan 6th, '10, 18:27

Yerba Mate question

by Sententia » Jan 6th, '10, 18:27

Hello. I'm a big tea enthusiast and I'm curious about the properties of Yerba Mate South American tea.

I've read that it can cause cancer, but I also read the opposite. I was wondering if this is an healthy tea, and in comparison to other tea's equally as healthy/ non healthy.

I've read yerba mate contains high levels of carcinogenic (cancer causing) chemicals called PAHs. About one cup containing the same amount in which are in a pack of cigarettes. So I'm curious.. is it really healthy ? And is green tea healthy in general. Thank you.

Jan 7th, '10, 04:03
Location: the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Re: Yerba Mate question

by Sydney » Jan 7th, '10, 04:03

In a nutshell, you can't believe anything you read about yerba mate. You'll find exceptions to that rule if you look really hard, I'm sure, but just drink it if you like it.

Don't drink it with ridiculously hot water, as that apparently can, if done to excess over long periods of time, cause damage. (I prefer lower green tea temps, personally: 145-160F.)

I think it's good stuff.

Jan 7th, '10, 12:57
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 7th, '10, 12:57

I moved this topic to the appropriate forum of TeaChat where it will be more at home.

Jan 11th, '10, 11:44

by morningbus » Jan 11th, '10, 11:44

There are some problems with the studies done about yerba mate. For starters, the researchers weren't able to properly isolate other behaviors that could possibly cause cancer (e.g., tobacco and alcohol consumption). Also, the secondary conclusions, that mate is safer at cooler temperatures, is absolutely not unique to mate and similar studies exist that show a link between cancer and the temperature of hot tea and coffee.

I'd say you should avoid drinking anything that is boiling hot, personally.

Jan 11th, '10, 12:14
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 11th, '10, 12:14

*slurps*

... one reason, well two reasons why slurping is acceptable in some not so pretentious tea cultures is that it also cools the tea while at the same time enhances the perceived flavor. :idea:

So, one could say slurping helps prevent cancer. :wink:

Jan 13th, '10, 22:35

by thirtysixbelow » Jan 13th, '10, 22:35

I imagine if you smoke or chew tobacco that drinking boiling hot tea is a bad idea. I would think burning your mouth would make it easier for the harmful chemicals in tobacco products to be absorbed easier. This would explain a relative link between mate and cancer because someone who smokes is predisposed, but someone who smokes and drinks boiling yerba might be more likely to get cancer. Just keep in mind that correlation does not imply causation.

+ Post Reply