Tea Spoons

Let us know if you've found the perfect product for Adagio to sell.

Postby Samovar » Jan 19th, '07, 13:55

I mainly drink loose tea so I'll will be using the scale quite often. I found a very small stainless steel infuser holder that I can use on top of the scale.

I have a tray in the kitchen that I use to hold all my tea accessories. I think that this scale will be my favorite one.

Teatime
Samovar

Postby Chip » Jan 19th, '07, 15:14

Teatime wrote:I mainly drink loose tea so I'll will be using the scale quite often. I found a very small stainless steel infuser holder that I can use on top of the scale.

I have a tray in the kitchen that I use to hold all my tea accessories. I think that this scale will be my favorite one.

Teatime

I love mine...with it I quantitatively adjust tea used by weight...but most importantly, my results are so much more consistant each and every time. You totally take control of one of the variables.

I have fun with it and it only takes seconds...
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Samovar » Jan 19th, '07, 15:32

Chip, do you have to reset it each time you use the scale? Do you have to reset the mode?

Teatime
Samovar

Postby Chip » Jan 19th, '07, 15:34

Teatime wrote:Chip, do you have to reset it each time you use the scale? Do you have to reset the mode?

Teatime

No, i just turn it on and it is ready to go. I use the gram mode and nothing else...it always stays in the same mode and does not change on its own.

Is yours changing modes???
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Samovar » Jan 19th, '07, 15:38

I haven't tried it yet. It just arrived last night.

I'll try it tonight. I'm happpy that you don't have to reset it each time.

One more question please. Do you have to zero it out each time? I plan on using the same infuser holder to measure the tea.

Teatime
Last edited by Samovar on Jan 19th, '07, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.
Samovar

Postby Mary R » Jan 19th, '07, 16:41

Mmmm, a scale sounds like a great idea. Just remember to pay attention to the accuracy. If you're trying to weigh 2g of tea and the accuracy is withing 1g...well, that could be iffy. One with .1g or .01g would give even more consitant results.
Mary R

Postby Chip » Jan 19th, '07, 16:42

Teatime wrote:I haven't tried it yet. It just arrived last night.

I'll try it tonight. I'm happpy that you dont have to rest it each time.

One more question please. Do you have to zero it out each time? I plan on using the same infuser holder to measure the tea.

Teatime

Yes, you have to "tare" it each time you turn it on. I usually turn it on, place the tray on it and then tare it.

One thing you made me think of...I wonder if I would turn it on with my tray on it, if it would automatically tare...hmmm...I will have to try that.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Jan 19th, '07, 16:44

Mary R wrote:Mmmm, a scale sounds like a great idea. Just remember to pay attention to the accuracy. If you're trying to weigh 2g of tea and the accuracy is withing 1g...well, that could be iffy. One with .1g or .01g would give even more consitant results.

The UTI scale is quite accurate...to within .05 gram...most digital electronic scales are to w/in .1 gram...still very accurate.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Samovar » Jan 19th, '07, 17:02

Chip, thanks for all your help!

I will probably order another one for work. I have a Nissan Thermos with an infuser basket for loose tea. (I need to order another thermos also).

Teatime
Samovar

Postby Salsero » Jan 19th, '07, 17:21

chip wrote:I wonder if I would turn it on with my tray on it, if it would automatically tare...hmmm...I will have to try that.

Both of mine auto tare if I turn them on with the tray in place.

I also love my scale, and very much recommend them to anyone regularly brewing a variety of loose teas.

I read somewhere that a dime was 2.25 grams, but they seem to vary from dime to dime.

There's a nice sale on gram scales at

http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/index ... ProdID=115

for $9.90 plus shipping (probably another $6 to $7). It only weighs to .1 gram (unlike the Upton and some others which go .01 grams). This is the discontinued model replaced by the one in the link Chip gives below. For the cost conscious, I'd forego the calibration weight.
Last edited by Salsero on Jan 19th, '07, 17:32, edited 2 times in total.
Salsero

Postby Chip » Jan 19th, '07, 17:24

...I just checked...I think I just automatically did this without thinking about it. If you turn the scale on with your "tray" already on it, it automatically tares...saves a step.

A nice scale for work could be....

http://www.rightonscales.com/web/120z.htm

You can also get this unit on ebay.

It is smaller than the UTI one...I know of a few owners of this unit and they like it also.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Jan 19th, '07, 17:31

Salsero wrote:
I read somewhere that a dime was 2.25 grams, but they seem to vary from dime to dime.

According to UTI a dime weighs 2.3 grams. It seems that 9 out 10 dimes I have used just as a quick periodic check of my scale's accuracy from time to time also weighs 2.3 grams. But this is really splitting hairs anyway.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby scruffmcgruff » Jan 19th, '07, 18:24

Speaking of splitting hairs...

The decimal point to which a scale reports is actually a measure of precision, not accuracy. :P

(I'm such a nerd, I know.)
scruffmcgruff

Postby Chip » Jan 19th, '07, 18:32

scruffmcgruff wrote:Speaking of splitting hairs...

The decimal point to which a scale reports is actually a measure of precision, not accuracy. :P

(I'm such a nerd, I know.)

Why yes...you are quite correct...you are quite the nerd and the hair splitter...lol X2...and quite correct. Had to think about it for a minute...but I feel...hmmm...enlightened. Thanx for pointing that out.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Mary R » Jan 19th, '07, 18:37

Salsero wrote:There's a nice sale on gram scales at
http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/index ... ProdID=115

Thanks for the link, Salsero! I was going to buy the model that replaces this next payday--and that retails at $39.99 +SH. I'm thrilled I don't have to do that.

I chose USPS shipping, which was $4.25 for 3 day. UPS was $6.75.

scruffmcgruff wrote:The decimal point to which a scale reports is actually a measure of precision, not accuracy.

Whoops! I knew that once upon a time ago. This is what happens when science majors switch to the humanities. :P

And finally...remember what Mr. Tea said about weighing tea?
Mary R

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions