Den's "Official" Japanese tea topic

Comprehensive member driven guide to vendors of all teas

Jan 6th, '10, 00:04

Re: "Official" Den's Japanese tea topic

by edkrueger » Jan 6th, '10, 00:04

I had some good Sakuracha before, but I quickly discovered I was allergic.

Jan 6th, '10, 13:38

Den's Shincha Kyusu

by JRS22 » Jan 6th, '10, 13:38

I have the Shincha Kyusu. It's actually my second - as they only resist certain types of bombs. Here's a tip - don't put it in the dish drainer when there's somebody else around who's going to set a heavy pot on top of it.

Before I purchased my first kyusu from Den's I checked on the board here and just about everyone who had one was happy with it. The lid fits snugly, the pot is easy and comfortable to hold with one hand when pouring, and it pours quickly enough to get all the tea out before a sensitive brew can go bad. My model has the 360 degree filter, which filters well and cleans easily.

As for the appearance of the glaze - that's a matter of personal taste. I'm particularly fond of the texture of the light blue glaze on red clay but some people prefer a more even tone.

I've been happy with the everyday teas I've ordered from there - the kukicha, genmaicha and houjica. I can't compare them to a "Japanese in Japan" vendor like O-Cha yet.

Jan 6th, '10, 14:41

by inspectoring » Jan 6th, '10, 14:41

I have always been curious of their matcha - I have read a blog ( I can't remember where) that rated it 5/10 but at the same time mentioned that there was absolutely no astringency at all.
For their fuka - I have tried all - but like the lower grade fuka as it was very good - excellent vegetal flavor.

For their gyokuro - I have mixed feelings as I had tried it when i was experimenting with gyokuro and my brewing skills were not good (not that they have improved :)).

Jan 6th, '10, 17:51

by beachape » Jan 6th, '10, 17:51

I've tried several teas from Den's and rather enjoyed the Sencha Fuka-midori. For the price its great. I didn't care for their other fukamushi teas. I also had one of those 20 dollar kyusu which I happened to break as well. I dropped it in a porcelain sink while washing it. It fell really hard, so no pot could survive. I was also pleased with the pot as a practical device. Didn't look bad, but certainly doesn't compare to higher priced hand made pots.

Jan 6th, '10, 22:41

by Cuppatea » Jan 6th, '10, 22:41

Chip wrote:Den's was the first vendor to effectively bridge the gap, a Japanese vendor in the USA. They have been a top 5 fave vendor of mine for close to 3 years.
I'm curious to see who your top 5 favorite green tea vendors are. :)

Jan 7th, '10, 01:05
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 7th, '10, 01:05

Cuppatea wrote:
Chip wrote:Den's was the first vendor to effectively bridge the gap, a Japanese vendor in the USA. They have been a top 5 fave vendor of mine for close to 3 years.
I'm curious to see who your top 5 favorite green tea vendors are. :)
See TeaDay for Thursday...well today here. I will do it as topic of the day.

Jan 7th, '10, 15:48

by mbishop » Jan 7th, '10, 15:48

I made an order from Den's after I finished the sampler. I ordered Sunday, the 3rd, and just got my order today, the 7th! Really quick shipping, especially considering it was just after New Years!

I love my little Kyusu (the one's everyone call "bomb proof" :P) and got some Fuka-Midori, Bancha (never tried it before), and Kukicha (never tried it before either, but I heard Den's is one of the best).

I give Den's a big thumbs up :)

Jan 8th, '10, 16:44

by mbishop » Jan 8th, '10, 16:44

By the way, Den really adds a nice touch with all the extras he sends!

In the sample pack, you get a brewing guide, a book with silly cartoons (but serious medical info about tea and health), and a catalog of tea.

And in my order, I got a JapanUp! magazine, a "sample of the month" sample, and a bag of shrimp flavored chips, and they were tasty :)

Jan 8th, '10, 20:38

by beachape » Jan 8th, '10, 20:38

I love getting extras too. I've gotten extra samples with my orders as well. It brings me back to those little prizes in cereal boxes, or free prizes in soda bottles. Now everything needs a "code" that you look up online which includes a survey....sad

Jan 10th, '10, 03:37

by Dresden » Jan 10th, '10, 03:37

Den's is one of my regular stops..

For beginner's I highly recommend the $3 starter kit. It will give you a good look into the world of Japanese greens.

I myself am a genmaicha addict and now I exclusively drink Den's genmaicha extra green.

Here are pictures of what comes in the starter kit as well as a pic of the extra green.

Jan 11th, '10, 16:50

by Jasmin » Jan 11th, '10, 16:50

I received my sample package today. I don't remember when I ordered it but it was here pretty quick. I'm pleasantly surprised.
I decided to try the Houjicha Gold first. I admit that I didn't like it at first. But with each sip I liked it more. It is just a whole new green tea taste for me. I had to get used to it. But I think I really like it :D Can't wait to try the others.

Jan 22nd, '10, 13:29

Re: Den's "Official" Japanese tea topic

by Dresden » Jan 22nd, '10, 13:29

Just got another order from Den's. As always, great shipping, nice packaging, free sample of the month, Den's catalog and a JapanUp magazine.

Jan 23rd, '10, 15:05

by debunix » Jan 23rd, '10, 15:05

Drinking dens fukamushi sencha right now. It's from my second order from Dens, and was brewed on the kyusu I ordered from them. It is not a particularly beautiful pot, but has a nice weight, and the integral ceramic filter allows it to strain the very fine leaves quickly and neatly. Given me tendency to break things, it's better choice for me than a delicate and expensive model. I also enjoyed the teas in their sampler pack, and a couple of ounces of their gyokuro kin before this. I've only tried one other vendor's sencha, so haven't had a wide experience to compare them to, but their service has been excellent and the teas I've tried thus far are delicious.

Jan 28th, '10, 15:48

by teaisme » Jan 28th, '10, 15:48

I couldn't find the answer on their website.
Do they ship international? Like to taiwan?

Feb 2nd, '10, 19:38
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Feb 2nd, '10, 19:38

Have you tried contacting them?

Mbishop just posted that they updated their tea pages, quite nicely!!! Here is their Yame Fukamushi page: http://www.denstea.com/index.php?main_p ... ath=96_436

+ Post Reply