Taiwanese Teas!

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jan 9th, '10, 14:52

Taiwanese Teas!

by JustinW » Jan 9th, '10, 14:52

Hey everybody. I figured I'd lighten things up with some talk of the green stuff. :D

I'm curious about Taiwanese teas. The world of tea is so vast, and I've only been drinking tea seriously for little over a year, but I'm ashamed to say I don't have any experience with Taiwanese teas. Well, I did try this one Dong Ding out. I didn't really care for it. It was just really light and buttery. It's hard to remember where it was from. Teacuppa maybe? (That might explain it :lol: )

I'd prefer to order a few samples first. Floating leaves seems to be the only place that offers samples (or small amounts). What do you guys recommend?

Jan 9th, '10, 15:28

Re: Taiwanese Teas!

by tenuki » Jan 9th, '10, 15:28

Floating Leaves Teas are usually pretty good, I think it would be a good introduction. I've had most teas in the samplers and they are decent for the price.

Jan 9th, '10, 15:51

by shah82 » Jan 9th, '10, 15:51

It's a bit wierd to think of a dong ding as light and buttery. If you want light'nbuttery from Taiwan, go for jinxuan tea. Dong dings are typically fermented a bit more for a fruit touch.

Off the deep end of the wallet, get a Da Yu Ling from one of the big names mentioned here, like FLT or HouDe or Teamasters or their like. Baozhongs, while most are expensive, are pretty good even when cheap, so try that or a green tiguanyin.

In general, Taiwan teas are boutique. I don't recommend that you get samples of less than 1oz. You have to build up experience or you'll constantly get subpar to potential tea, so I would advise against sample packs. I would suggest that you get something like Da Yu Ling, because while it's expensive, it's also MUCH friendlier to incompentent brewing than many other mountain teas. I'd have also suggested dong dings (that isn't so light 'n buttery) as those are also quite easy to brew. Switch up to baozhongs when you've got the hang of things.

Jan 9th, '10, 16:35
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Jan 9th, '10, 16:35

shah82 wrote:It's a bit wierd to think of a dong ding as light and buttery. If you want light'nbuttery from Taiwan, go for jinxuan tea. Dong dings are typically fermented a bit more for a fruit touch.
Yeah Dong Ding is supposed to be medium oxidized and fruity but nowadays the name is used more extensively. I saw some Taiwan seller name the light style as "green style Lu Gu oolong" and think that's more scientifically correct. But such a name can't ring a bell as loud as "dong ding" to buyers. :D

Jan 9th, '10, 17:37

by bongoman » Jan 9th, '10, 17:37

teafromtaiwan.com sells samples here.

I'm not financially connected with them, just a satisfied customer.

Jan 9th, '10, 21:58

by JustinW » Jan 9th, '10, 21:58

gingko wrote:
shah82 wrote:It's a bit wierd to think of a dong ding as light and buttery. If you want light'nbuttery from Taiwan, go for jinxuan tea. Dong dings are typically fermented a bit more for a fruit touch.
Yeah Dong Ding is supposed to be medium oxidized and fruity but nowadays the name is used more extensively. I saw some Taiwan seller name the light style as "green style Lu Gu oolong" and think that's more scientifically correct. But such a name can't ring a bell as loud as "dong ding" to buyers. :D
Good! I didn't like it at all.
shah82 wrote:I don't recommend that you get samples of less than 1oz. You have to build up experience or you'll constantly get subpar to potential tea, so I would advise against sample packs.
I think I can handle it. As far as I know Houde and Teamasters don't offer samples, but Floating Leaves teas come in 1oz packs.

I'm thinking about getting:

2009 Winter Farmer's Choice Baozhong
2009 Winter Dong Ding-Traditional (or the Special Roast)
2009 Spring Buddha Hand
2009 Spring Nantou Four Seasons

I think that would be a nice, inexpensive introduction. You think so?

Thanks,
Justin

Jan 10th, '10, 00:11

by Tead Off » Jan 10th, '10, 00:11

JustinW wrote:
gingko wrote:
Good! I didn't like it at all.
shah82 wrote:I don't recommend that you get samples of less than 1oz. You have to build up experience or you'll constantly get subpar to potential tea, so I would advise against sample packs.
I think I can handle it. As far as I know Houde and Teamasters don't offer samples, but Floating Leaves teas come in 1oz packs.

I'm thinking about getting:

2009 Winter Farmer's Choice Baozhong
2009 Winter Dong Ding-Traditional (or the Special Roast)
2009 Spring Buddha Hand
2009 Spring Nantou Four Seasons

I think that would be a nice, inexpensive introduction. You think so?

Thanks,
Justin
My suggestion is to go right to teafromtaiwan and buy their sample packs. They are right at the source, know the farms, and, most of it is organic. This way, you will have what I think are consistently higher end oolongs to compare other vendor's offerings to such as FLT, Houde, etc.

Long Feng Xia
Wu Ling
Da Yu Ling
Shan lin Xi
Tsuei luan

These are top teas from Li Shan and Shan lin xi.

Jan 10th, '10, 00:57

by shah82 » Jan 10th, '10, 00:57

Personally, if I don't get very explicit directions, it takes roughly 25-40gms of tea leaves before I stop getting bad results.

Four Seasons is not really a tea meant for *knowing* tea. It's a green oolong that's supposed to be cheap everyday good enough oolong. It can be made well, but the varietal is meant for the mass market b/c of productivity. Now, a cheap everyday green oolong is definitly a good thing when you're trying to not drink up the stuff you really want to drink too fast.

Jan 10th, '10, 01:45

by Serg » Jan 10th, '10, 01:45

I am new to teaworld too (slightly more than a year). And I want to agree with others -- Da Yu Ling from Hou De is great! I have tried spring 2009 vintage. This is the Tea :) Also it seems it is not difficult to brew. It is sold by 2oz packs. So I think it is just right amount for you to try.

Jan 10th, '10, 20:07

by JustinW » Jan 10th, '10, 20:07

Thank you everybody.
Tead Off wrote: My suggestion is to go right to teafromtaiwan and buy their sample packs. They are right at the source, know the farms, and, most of it is organic. This way, you will have what I think are consistently higher end oolongs to compare other vendor's offerings to such as FLT, Houde, etc.

Long Feng Xia
Wu Ling
Da Yu Ling
Shan lin Xi
Tsuei luan

These are top teas from Li Shan and Shan lin xi.
Thank you sir. I'm going to order one of their sampler packs or two. They're a great deal! Under $10 including shipping. I think this would be a good starting point.

I can't wait! It's like discovering a whole new world. :D I'll report back to tell you all how it goes.

Yumcha!

Justin

Jan 10th, '10, 23:04

by tenuki » Jan 10th, '10, 23:04

Tead Off wrote:This way, you will have what I think are consistently higher end oolongs to compare other vendor's offerings to such as FLT, Houde, etc.
:roll:

Jan 11th, '10, 00:13

by Tead Off » Jan 11th, '10, 00:13

tenuki wrote:
Tead Off wrote:This way, you will have what I think are consistently higher end oolongs to compare other vendor's offerings to such as FLT, Houde, etc.
Did you have something to say?

Jan 11th, '10, 00:57

by tenuki » Jan 11th, '10, 00:57

Tead Off wrote:
tenuki wrote:
Said it. A picture speaks a thousand words, consider yourself lucky. ;)

Jan 11th, '10, 01:05
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 11th, '10, 01:05

:D lalalalala :D ... just skipping through spreading TeaLove wherever it is needed ... :D lalalalalala :D

Jan 11th, '10, 01:52

by Tead Off » Jan 11th, '10, 01:52

tenuki wrote:
Tead Off wrote:
tenuki wrote:
Said it. A picture speaks a thousand words, consider yourself lucky. ;)
I do. But, more importantly, happy.

+ Post Reply