The establishment is quaint and charming, so much so, that after my first visit I told friends, clients and neighbors about Beneba's business. Unfortunately during my second visit I had a horrific experience.
My tea was delivered to me in a faulty tea pot. The lid's opening was too large and the lid was not snug, so when I held the lid while pouring my tea into the cup, water spilled out from around the opening of the teapot lid.
My friend and I tried to stop the flow of water before in landed in my lap but we were not successful and my legs were burned. We got the attention of the waitress to let her know about my burn and requested a plastic bag filled with ice to help my legs cool.
When the owner came to the table to ask how I felt, she proceeded to explain that the water is brewed to an exacting temperature (I believe 200 degrees) she proceeded to explain the importance of holding the lid. I found this reponse to be quite insulting, considering that I had just explained that the lid did not fit properly. I reiterated that I held the tea pot properly and poured the tea properly. Then the owner, almost with hesitation, offered me burn cream for my legs, only to return to my table to inform me that she had none.
It was extemely busy on this particular afternoon, just a few days before XMAS. It took too long to get the check, and to my dismay I received one. It was extremely unprofessional to give me a bill considering my experience. I would have expected an apology along with an invitation to return with a guarantee of tea service on the house. Additonally, an offer should have been made to take care of my dry cleaning. On my first visit there, the owner shared that she practiced law prior to opening The Golden Tea Garden. I got the distinct impression that she was more concerned with the possibility of a law suit than truly taking care of my burn.
The experienced was dissapointing to say the least.