Chaikhana Tea Culture - Santa Cruz, CA

Learn about tea-related establishments open across the world.

Chaikhana Tea Culture - Santa Cruz, CA

Postby trent » Apr 1st, '08, 00:22

Has anyone else ever been there?

They have a great selection of pu-erh, oolong, and yixing pots. They also have an antique cabinet w/ some old clay and other nicer teaware and great herbals for late night drinking.

I get everything from there except for Japanese teas and teaware.
trent

Postby Pentox » Apr 3rd, '08, 17:40

Do you have some address/phone/website/etc. info for them? I go by that area a fair amount and might want to stop by and check it out.
Pentox

Postby trent » Apr 3rd, '08, 20:15

Sure,

(831) 423-4200
317 Cedar St, #A,
Santa Cruz, CA 95060

they don't have a website, but if you google "chaikhana tea culture," you can find reviews and maps.
trent

Postby andy825 » Apr 4th, '08, 19:41

Santa Cruz was our last stop on our honeymoon/road trip. We were lucky enough to pick up a local free paper the day that Chaikana was featured on the cover. We never would have found it otherwise, but its a great little shop with a very knowledgeable, enthusiastic owner. I wish we had more time to spend perusing his wares. We got a great sampling of pu-erh, and some lovely jade rings, and a nice oolong (Ban Shan).
andy825

Chaikhana is a must go if you are in the area

Postby Angela Justice » Aug 4th, '08, 16:06

Dear tea friends,

Chaikhana is a must go if you are a serious lover of Chinese tea in the Santa Cruz area. They have a phenomenal collection of pu-erhs (loose, tuocha, cakes) and are passionately fanatical about great tea from small farmers. Say hi to David and Marilee Wright the owners or Barry long time tea guy in Santa Cruz and tell them I said hi too.

Best,
Angela
Angela Justice
Site Admin

Postby Janine » Nov 26th, '08, 12:35

I'd like to give a recommendation also for Chaikana. Not only have they an extensive collection of teas that are very special and always hold discoveries for me, their shop is filled with antiques of interest: tea pots, gaiwans, bowls, and all sorts of other things. Every time I go I wind up with several purchases. David and Marilee were a delight to know from the day I met them. Highly recommended.
Janine

Postby capheind » Nov 27th, '08, 04:10

Have to go there sometime, I live in the area and have been looking for something interesting nearby. Especially since it seems that all the decent teahouses closed shop just after I moved in....
capheind

Re: Chaikhana Tea Culture - Santa Cruz, CA

Postby thibaulthalpern » Nov 3rd, '09, 12:13

How good is Chaikhana's selection of matcha? I know the New Leaf's in town carry Domatcha. I've personally bought Domatcha (premium grade) before and also bought my own stash from Japan before. What I can get of Domatcha isn't bad, but not as good as what I bought from Japan.
thibaulthalpern

Re: Chaikhana Tea Culture - Santa Cruz, CA

Postby zencha » Jan 14th, '10, 03:42

They sell Master Wang's pu-erh:
http://www.zenandtea.com/about.html
zencha

Instant Messenger

Permissions