when to get which teas??

For general/other topics related to tea.

Jan 14th, '10, 08:13

when to get which teas??

by Jasmin » Jan 14th, '10, 08:13

Is there a guide or list that shows when to buy which tea?
I don't want to buy a tea when it's 11 months old, when the next month I could have had fresh tea.
Is that even and issue with all teas, or only the good or specific ones?
How about adagio. Are there teas that I shouldn't order now? But when should I?
I search around and am able to get some info on when specific teas are harvested, but when will they be sold?
How about the flavored teas?
I know so little about that kind of stuff :?
Please someone enlighten me or direct me to the right place :(

Jan 14th, '10, 09:39
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: when to get which teas??

by Chip » Jan 14th, '10, 09:39

Quite a question, opens up issues of freshness and sometimes desirable aging. Sometimes fresh is not best, oolong and Gyokuro are often best aged ... and this subjective when is it "best" can vary from person to person, not to mention vendor to vendor.

If you are buying direct from country of origin, vendors will generally show harvest info. Or for instance if it is new harvest aka "shincha." A lot of greens/new harvest teas from japan and China start to come to market in March (I am not too keen on super early Chinese green which are way overpriced IMHO), April, and May. However, this does not mean you cannot buy a very good sencha for instance right now. As long as the vendor is properly handling, packaging, and storing their teas, it is no problem to get good sencha any time of the year. Similarly with Chinese green teas. Even some Chinese and Japanese greens are subjectively better with a little aging. Shincha is not always best for everyone ... for every tea!

The road gets more bumpy from here on though as you start to consider other types of teas such as oolong and black as well as domestic (USA) vendors. Generally, USA vendors are a few months behind country of origin vendors due to shipping and buying considerations. You need to ask the vendor if they are not disclosing this info on their site. IMHO, I think all vendors should disclose this info, but instead, USDA and/or FDA regulations only require that they readily offer expiration info. I am not too keen on subjectively assigned expiration dates. :evil: Show me the harvest info!!!!

Oolong and Black ... another post ...

Jan 14th, '10, 14:30

by Jasmin » Jan 14th, '10, 14:30

Wow! Thank you chip for that great answer. :)
I see there is no easy answer. Too bad. I live by lists and schedules... so I always want specifics and clear cut answers lol.
How about adagio? Are there any greens, blacks, oolongs that I shouldn't order today but wait 1 or 2 more months?
I really need to order more tea now and as long as I know I don't get the bottom of the barrel old tea, I'll be ok.

Jan 14th, '10, 14:38
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 14th, '10, 14:38

You are most welcome.

You can order now, just don't overbuy. You would regret having too much last harvest when everyone is bragging about the new harvest!

+ Post Reply