Pu Ehr and Green Tea/White Tea blend?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Nov 7th, '06, 11:09

Pu Ehr and Green Tea/White Tea blend?

by Amanda » Nov 7th, '06, 11:09

Hello all,

I went to a teashop-which-will-not-be-named, and asked if they sold their Pu Ehr in cakes or loose. They told me mostly loose, althought they had this "mix", which was green tea, white tea, and small Pu Ehr cakes mixed with fruit flavors.

They said the blend should be steeped at 170 degrees.

What do the Pu Ehr fans think of this mix? Should I trust these teashop folk and give it a try? I tend to think the mix would be abad at best, but maybe I'm just being closed-minded.

Thanks,
-Amanda

Nov 7th, '06, 11:57
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Nov 7th, '06, 11:57

Amanda,

I am no authority on the subject of pu-erh, but there is so much authentic strait pu-erh that I see no purpose for this blend.

It sounds like they are attempting to market a pu-erh for mainstream Americans who crave flavored tea.

Chip

Nov 7th, '06, 21:04

by jogrebe » Nov 7th, '06, 21:04

Unless if we are talking young raw puerh and not cooked puerh (like Adagio sells) the mix of green and white teas with puerh comes as a complete turnoff to me. What type of puerh are you interested in Amanda, cooked or raw? I'm no expert on raw puerh but if its cooked you are after I can recommend a few reasonably priced ones that are especially good.
John Grebe

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~C. S. Lewis

Jan 28th, '07, 04:25

by Space Samurai » Jan 28th, '07, 04:25

chip wrote:Amanda,

I am no authority on the subject of pu-erh, but there is so much authentic strait pu-erh that I see no purpose for this blend.

It sounds like they are attempting to market a pu-erh for mainstream Americans who crave flavored tea.

Chip
I agree; pu-erh and white teas are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Feb 10th, '07, 11:23

by javyn » Feb 10th, '07, 11:23

I don't even like jasmine scented teas. No way would I go for this one.

Why don't we mix some Lapsang and Vanilla Rooibos.
John

Feb 10th, '07, 20:57

by deadfingers » Feb 10th, '07, 20:57

I'm still fairly new to Puerh myself, but I've tried about 3 different kinds. I can agree that they are probably trying to adapt to the American ways of flavored tea. I myself think Puerh is very distinct and should be kept alone. I've had Raw and Cooked puerh, each has their own distinct taste which I think should be appreciated not mixed, especially with white tea or even green tea.

+ Post Reply