organic vs. not organic

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jan 13th, '07, 12:22

organic vs. not organic

by guitarfreak2641 » Jan 13th, '07, 12:22

I havent been drinking tea for very long so I dont know much yet, and I was wondering what is the diferance between organic and reagular loose tea. dose it tast any diferent,is it better for you, and dose it cost more?

Jan 13th, '07, 18:01

by TeaFanatic » Jan 13th, '07, 18:01

From what I have read about organic teas, they typically cost more, they are of a lower quality, and they are NOT better for you, just equal. Adagio, for this reason, will not go out of their way to get organic teas because they are simply not worth it.

I will say that every once in awhile you will stumble across a fabulous organic tea, but I wouldn't go out of your way to buy one.
"Make tea not war"

Favorites: Sencha, Dragonwell, White Monkey, Silver Needle, Gyokuro, Kukicha, Darjeeling

Jan 13th, '07, 20:37
Scrolling: scrolling

by scruffmcgruff » Jan 13th, '07, 20:37

I agree with TeaFanatic. Unless you're really into this organic foods fad, there's no reason to buy teas solely because they are organic-- there really isn't much of a difference except in price. That said, my favorite black tea (Makaibari estate Darjeeling) happens to be organic, so don't avoid a particular tea just because it is organic, either.

Jan 13th, '07, 21:15

by Chip » Jan 13th, '07, 21:15

scruffmcgruff wrote:I agree with TeaFanatic. Unless you're really into this organic foods fad, there's no reason to buy teas solely because they are organic-- there really isn't much of a difference except in price. That said, my favorite black tea (Makaibari estate Darjeeling) happens to be organic, so don't avoid a particular tea just because it is organic, either.
Makaibari is an outstanding example of how good organic can and should be...

While it is often very hard to buy an organic selection...I tend to skip right over them at times...but I am trying to mend my ways.

I am no longer naive to the real presence of pesticide laden teas that are out there...pesticides like DDT... :shock: :x :!: If enough consumers continue to ask tough questions to vendors, they will have to ask the same questions of their suppliers.

It is one thing to offer non organic...it is quite another to offer contaminated tea to an unsuspecting consumer group...or to simply not ask because you do not want to know. I am not shy when it comes to asking vendors tough questions...and I do not accept prepackaged responses that are loosely thrown about without conviction.

Ok, I am off the soapbox for the rest of the day...hmmm, my tea tastes kinda funny... :?

Jan 14th, '07, 10:20

by javyn » Jan 14th, '07, 10:20

I've tried organic teas, and while they cost twice as much, they only contain about half the taste. Not worth it IMO.
John

Jan 28th, '07, 05:00

by Space Samurai » Jan 28th, '07, 05:00

Read this article and decide for yourself.

http://www.teatrends.com/interview.html?interview=58

For me, organic teas are less about quality or a "fad" than it is about sustainable farming. It's the same reason I purchase Fair Trade Certified teas whenever possible, because how much can you enjoy something, appreciate its historical, cultural and esoteric complexities, if you're hurting someone in the process.

I can tell you that I have tried a lot of teas, and I haven't noticed much a difference either way.

But like I said, decide for yourself.

Jan 28th, '07, 13:21

by scruffmcgruff » Jan 28th, '07, 13:21

It is a well written article, and may have a couple good points, but unfortunately it provides nothing specific to substantiate its claims. It is fraught with subjective statements starting with "I think..." with no evidence (health reports, scientific papers, economic reports, etc.) to back them up.

Also, and most importantly, this is someone from Rishi Tea who is writing the article. Rishi Tea only sells organic teas, so of course he is going to sing the praises of organic products!

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't see organic products as bad, as long as the benefits to the workers are worth the costs of forgoing cheaper conventional techniques. And, actually, many organic teas do just that, and I commend their producers for it. Not only are they highly productive, but they secure a stable market share with the consumers that favor organic products, and provide for a better quality of life for their workers.

I don't know many of the facts behind organic vs. conventional farming, and I could be wrong and organic farming could be a magical technique that is better in all respects. I don't have any evidence either way (nor do I really feel like looking it up right now). However, I don't think a biased article which is essentially an advertisement for Rishi Tea is good evidence of the benefits of organic vs. conventional.

Jan 28th, '07, 17:25

by diffuse » Jan 28th, '07, 17:25

organic is NOT the same as fair trade. they often go hand in hand, but organic is about how the product is grown (ie. no pesticides, no genetically modified seeds, etc.). fair trade is how the growers are treated (ie. fair pay, etc.).

that said, i think a lot of people who belittle organic products often just can't be arsed to pay more--it's the same kind of folks who would never dream of paying more to get non-sweatshopped clothing.* not to mention there is a lot of stuff out there on pesticide poisoning & why organic farming is good for the earth that isn't written by an organic tea purveyor--it's pretty easy to find, do some googling. perhaps organic teas are not yet developed to the point where they can please the finickiest tea fans, but in general organic stuff tastes so much better than conventional (ever try an organic strawberry in season? i swore off styrofoam-like conventional ones afterwards).

* note: v. different fr. those who can't afford the extra cost, obviously.

Jan 28th, '07, 17:54

by scruffmcgruff » Jan 28th, '07, 17:54

I don't have a problem with organic products if they are just as good as conventional ones, like the Makaibari example I gave earlier. I only have a problem with people being suckered into buying organic foods even if they are of poorer quality simply because of the "oooh! it's organic!" mentality, and it seems to me that only a few organic teas have as of yet attained a high enough level of quality to make up for their added cost compared to conventionally produced alternatives.

With regard to your first comment, I seem to have been unclear. I'm all for fair trade, and I was saying that producers who successfully go organic do a service to their workers because they gain additional customers in the niche of organic food consumers.

Also, It's hard to dismiss conventionally produced foods, especially things like golden rice (bioengineered to help prevent vitamin A deficiencies in poorer areas of the world), when bioengineering has had such a positive result. True, comparing golden rice with your average produce is like comparing apples and oranges (okay, bad analogy), but you get my point.

Jan 29th, '07, 13:55

by diffuse » Jan 29th, '07, 13:55

actually, the idea that GMOs will save the world from hunger is a big myth.

Jan 29th, '07, 16:26

by scruffmcgruff » Jan 29th, '07, 16:26

I didn't say they would. I just said golden rice could help with vitamin A deficiency-- there's a big difference.

Feb 5th, '07, 02:20

Re: organic vs. not organic

by cherryking » Feb 5th, '07, 02:20

Organic means pure, without any content of pesticides. There are many kinds of Organic food, such as Organic noodle, Organic vegetables, even Organic fish. All things is Organic. When you eat them, you sure that you do not send some pesiticide to your stomach.

Organic teas means tea leaves do not include any content of pesiticide. Well, that is not very easy things, because tea bush maybe have insects, so biological pesticide might be used for avoiding tea insects.

The obvious difference between Organic Tea and non - Organic teas is price. Ha Ha.
:twisted:

Feb 5th, '07, 11:29

by TeaFanatic » Feb 5th, '07, 11:29

The problem that I have with organic is that it is not necessarily better for you. Everyone is today's world is seeking the most pure things because they think everything is healthier without chemicals.

The fact though is that many chemicals are actually GOOD for us, and comprise every product that we eat. Just because a tea is not organic does not mean that pesticides were used.
"Make tea not war"

Favorites: Sencha, Dragonwell, White Monkey, Silver Needle, Gyokuro, Kukicha, Darjeeling

Feb 5th, '07, 15:51

by Chip » Feb 5th, '07, 15:51

TeaFanatic wrote:The problem that I have with organic is that it is not necessarily better for you. Everyone is today's world is seeking the most pure things because they think everything is healthier without chemicals.

The fact though is that many chemicals are actually GOOD for us, and comprise every product that we eat. Just because a tea is not organic does not mean that pesticides were used.
Very true...but many individual farmers in foreign counties including China are notorious for using chemicals banned in the US or even banned in their own countries...chemicals such as DDT are still being used; or simply unsafe application practices are used; or chemicals that are not designed for food products because they do not break down are being used.

So non organic can be quite BAD for you.

That said, I rarely buy organic (a personal paradox)...but I am very particular about vendors and I ask a lot of questions.

Feb 7th, '07, 02:05

by cherryking » Feb 7th, '07, 02:05

chip wrote:
TeaFanatic wrote:The problem that I have with organic is that it is not necessarily better for you. Everyone is today's world is seeking the most pure things because they think everything is healthier without chemicals.

Very true...but many individual farmers in foreign counties including China are notorious for using chemicals banned in the US or even banned in their own countries...chemicals such as DDT are still being used; or simply unsafe application practices are used; or chemicals that are not designed for food products because they do not break down are being used.

So non organic can be quite BAD for you.

That said, I rarely buy organic (a personal paradox)...but I am very particular about vendors and I ask a lot of questions.
Well, that is half ture. because some tea bush grows in some less high mountains, pesticides must be used for avoiding insects. but in very high mountains, it is not nessessary to use pesticides, because temperature is very cold, air is very pure, and tea bush insects are not easy to live.

so, using pesticides condition should be considered according to the climate and mountain elevation.

But, for me, I prefer Organic, at least it shows teas has less or non pesticides content. In fact, the warehouse of Organic tea is very special, total wooden materials with dry conditions.

In fact, Organic standards is very hard to get, because some pesticides contents be kept into soil, airs for three or four years. The Real Organic means there are no any pesticides in Soil, Air, Processing machine, Warehouse, even package.

No one can say this tea is organic or not. Organic teas must be approved by International Research Institude. It should be tested by them for each pesticides content, about 20 pesticides contents testing reports. If the testing resuilts of any content is none, tea will be labelled as Organic. but his testing is not a long - term valid. just for one year valid.

In USA, any organic tea must be labelled by NOP Certificate, if the tea do not have this certificate, it do not allowed to sold as Organic.

Cheers.

+ Post Reply