Good room temperature teas.

For general/other topics related to tea.

Jan 23rd, '10, 10:31

Good room temperature teas.

by TubbyCow » Jan 23rd, '10, 10:31

I just got all four of my wisdom teeth pulled out yesterday, and to my dismay, the pamphlet they handed me says I cannot drink any hot beverages until my mouth has healed. I normally love my tea as scalding as possible, and I'm not big on iced tea (especially in Canada in January), so I'm hoping to live off of room temperature teas for as long as my mouth needs

Has anyone had experience with teas that are surprisingly good when lukewarm? One that comes to mind is Andao's Organic Golden Monkey - the notes of honey and vanilla come out more as it cools.

Jan 23rd, '10, 12:10
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Good room temperature teas.

by Victoria » Jan 23rd, '10, 12:10

Ohhh I hope you feel better soon! I like oolongs at room temperature.
Brew them up, pop in an ice cube and you're good to go. Of course for me, I've usually been distracted and let it go cool, but I always drink them up and still enjoy them.

Jan 23rd, '10, 14:20

by debunix » Jan 23rd, '10, 14:20

I would go with some nice lightly oxidized green oolongs, a decent pouchong or baozhong--good flavor even when too cool. The dark roast and earthy oolongs & puerhs lose too much when cool. Or some nice fruity black yunnan, with osmanthus or another similar flavor to add interest when cooled. And I'd think that scalding I'd not good for healing gums, but still, after a day or two, you should be able to do more than lukewarm....but I'm not a dentist.

Jan 23rd, '10, 14:53

by olivierco » Jan 23rd, '10, 14:53

TubbyCow wrote:
Has anyone had experience with teas that are surprisingly good when lukewarm? One that comes to mind is Andao's Organic Golden Monkey - the notes of honey and vanilla come out more as it cools.
I had to stop drinking hot beverages for many (too many) weeks last year after a bike accident and the subsequent dental implant. Gyokuro was the first tea I drank: as it is brewed at 130°F, I could drink it without any risk after the stitches have been removed and when I didn't need frequent tastebuds burning mouthwashes.
My dentist insisted that I had to drink and eat cold for at least ten days to ensure a good cicatrization.

Jan 23rd, '10, 15:11

by LauraW » Jan 23rd, '10, 15:11

olivierco wrote:the subsequent dental implant.
Uh-oh, I have something to "look forward" to when I get a dental implant next year. Braces first though :roll: to get things aligned so he can actually put the implant in.

Jan 31st, '10, 16:20

by msurads06 » Jan 31st, '10, 16:20

Despite being from the south, i really dont like iced tea (horror of all horrors!!!). I like them hot or room temperature (with lunch). so far my favorite room temperature tea is earl grey de la creme from special teas. I dont like regular earl grey, but the extra vanilla flavoring seems to balance out the other so it is not overwhelming. the irish breakfast was drinkable as long as i made it 1/2 strength. unfortunately i have only really been drinking "real" tea for about 2 mos so i am still tasting alot of different teas.

+ Post Reply