Jan 21st, '10, 03:12

Wuyi Slimming tea telemarketer meets her match

by Cha Nacho » Jan 21st, '10, 03:12

A funny thing happened tonight, I got a telemarketer calling to sell me wuyi slimming tea!

About 90 percent of the calls on my land line are telemarketers, and it gets so annoying. Lets be realistic, of course there are a lot of good causes to donate to and I believe wholeheartedly in that, but the methods of telemarketing can be so 'unethical'?, pushy, manipulative, they just keep reading their scripts no matter what you say, pushing you into corners try to get you to buy/donate, whatever it may be...

So, finally along came a telemarketer who knew much less about what she was selling than I did! This should be interesting I thought to myself. So I asked her where the tea came from... wuyi mountains in Fujian province... ok, pass. Next point, did I want to gain or loose any weight? Because this tea has enzymes that will help regulate your metabolism... Oh really? so I asked don't all oolong teas contain those enzymes??? Well she couldn't speak for other teas, but theirs definitely did. Then she got a little frazzled and told me this was a green tea that had oolong in it. :lol: Ok? I told her that was impossible and explained the difference between the two. By this point I felt like it had gone on long enough and said that I wouldn't be buying anything when I already had stores close buy that I can buy from if I want, but I was in luck! I didn't have to buy because the first shipment was free to try... Umm, no thats ok... Hello?? I said... defeated she hung up on me!!

Maybe I should just get call display :roll:

Jan 21st, '10, 03:58
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Wuyi Slimming tea telemarketer meets her match

by Victoria » Jan 21st, '10, 03:58

Hahaha! Good job!

Jan 23rd, '10, 15:06

by Symmetry » Jan 23rd, '10, 15:06

It's pretty entertaining that a telemarketer was trying to sell tea without knowing what it is (especially that "green tea with oolong in it" bit). You handled it perfectly; I bet they won't be calling you back anytime soon.

Jan 23rd, '10, 16:38

by Chip » Jan 23rd, '10, 16:38

Symmetry wrote:It's pretty entertaining that a telemarketer was trying to sell tea without knowing what it is (especially that "green tea with oolong in it" bit). You handled it perfectly; I bet they won't be calling you back anytime soon.
Actually, it is pretty common for people in sales to have less knowledge and experience with a product than the customer. They often know the little they are trained initially and might be allowed build on that over time. Although 99% of this telemarketers target audience is going to be naive and ignorant at the very least and looking for a miracle solution to weight loss.

It is extremely difficult to overcome "objections" by a potential customer when the customer knows more than the salesperson, but a good salesperson can overcome such obstacles ... but to sell slimming tea via cold sale telemarketing, what a horrid job.

And "companies" offer these positions with little risk to themselves since the pay is often 100% commission, well the telemarketer you speak to on the phone is often more the victim than the naive customer who actually buys. :evil:

Jan 23rd, '10, 17:54

by geeber1 » Jan 23rd, '10, 17:54

Great story, Cha! Thanks for sharing.

Jan 23rd, '10, 21:01

by Skippyandjif » Jan 23rd, '10, 21:01

Hehe, that just made me laugh so hard that I garnered odd stares from my roommates. :) Thank you, I needed to laugh.

...Now I wish one of those telemarketers would call me!!

Jan 23rd, '10, 22:05

by Cha Nacho » Jan 23rd, '10, 22:05

Hey all, glad you got kick out of the story :lol: It was a comical conversation indeed!

Jan 23rd, '10, 22:29

by bsteele » Jan 23rd, '10, 22:29

Looove it, thanks for that :lol:

+ Post Reply