Tobacco Tea?

For general/other topics related to tea.

Jan 24th, '10, 21:43

Tobacco Tea?

by SensualPanda » Jan 24th, '10, 21:43

Just a really quick question that may seem completely random and probably slightly stupid. Is it possibly to brew some sort of tobacco tea? I know nicotine in high doses is likely very poisonous, but is it possible? I occasionally smoke cigars and love the flavour. I was wondering if there was a way to get that same nicotine and flavour into a tea. Could i put the tiniest bits of tobacco in my tea steep to add some nicotine or flavour?

Thanks,
sorry for the weird question!

Jan 24th, '10, 22:12
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Tobacco Tea?

by ABx » Jan 24th, '10, 22:12

I don't think that would be a very good idea, but if you get good at brewing (gongfu cha) then there's a lot of Taiwanese wulong, Wuyi yancha, and aged wulong that go very very well with cigars - particularly those with a strong after-taste/aroma, which can mix very well with the smoke. This can be very enjoyable, and very likely far more enjoyable than any tobacco tea :)

Jan 25th, '10, 00:19

by nibrole » Jan 25th, '10, 00:19

Seems like tobacco tea would cause pretty bad nausea, unless you spit it out, ala chewing tobacco juices.

Jan 25th, '10, 09:40

by beecrofter » Jan 25th, '10, 09:40

One good cigar can contain 100-200 mg of nicotine 40–60 mg (0.5-1.0 mg/kg) can be a lethal dosage for adult humans.

Jan 25th, '10, 12:01

by TubbyCow » Jan 25th, '10, 12:01

Not a good idea to steep tobacco, but there are a lot of teas out there with notes of tobacco in the flavour. I remember the first time I tried a good loose leaf Yunnan Gold (Summit Tea's Yunnan Gold Leaves to be precise), the predominant taste for me was tobacco. Like I was drinking out of my pipe. Wonderful stuff, and much safer.

Jan 27th, '10, 08:01

by Zanaspus » Jan 27th, '10, 08:01

I think Lapsang Souchong tastes like tobacco juice, but that's just me.

Jan 30th, '10, 03:33

by sneakers » Jan 30th, '10, 03:33

I think it tastes like smoke.

Jan 30th, '10, 03:41

by sneakers » Jan 30th, '10, 03:41

When I knew a pipe smoker years ago, his tobacco had a delicious fruity aroma. It was lightly flavored with cherry, and in the the canister it smelled like fruit-flavored tea. However, I have no desire to drink the stuff. Nicotine is a wonderful poison. I once asked him to puff some pipe smoke onto a bunch of mites in my terrarium.

Feb 3rd, '10, 17:07

by Shihali » Feb 3rd, '10, 17:07

I read a report by someone much braver (and much more reckless) than me about his experience making and drinking tobacco tea. He used one cigarette. Two or three cigarettes soaked overnight make a quite good insecticide solution that should be handled with gloves.

It seems like a really bad idea, but someone did live to tell the tale. Definitely a worse idea than a C. sinensis cigar (something else I have not tried but read the reports of others who did).

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=63157

Feb 7th, '10, 22:03

by hop_goblin » Feb 7th, '10, 22:03

:shock:

Feb 21st, '10, 19:26

by chris&amy » Feb 21st, '10, 19:26

Growing up in North Carolina working in tobacco was my summer job for years. After the tobacco is harvested the farmer places it into Bulk Barns that dry it out the leaves. Oh the sweet smell is to die for! I would suggest trying leaves like this instead of processed leaves from a cigarette. If I remember correctly the nicotine is much less like this. This is just my thoughts on this but this is very interesting. Another reason I say that the nicotine is lower is because the deer love it and I think one of my boss's said they eat it because of the low nicotine.

Chris

Feb 22nd, '10, 19:21
Scrolling: scrolling

by ABx » Feb 22nd, '10, 19:21

chris&amy wrote:Growing up in North Carolina working in tobacco was my summer job for years. After the tobacco is harvested the farmer places it into Bulk Barns that dry it out the leaves. Oh the sweet smell is to die for! I would suggest trying leaves like this instead of processed leaves from a cigarette. If I remember correctly the nicotine is much less like this. This is just my thoughts on this but this is very interesting. Another reason I say that the nicotine is lower is because the deer love it and I think one of my boss's said they eat it because of the low nicotine.
But then if you're wrong, or someone gets their hands on something stronger, then it could be lethal. Is it really worth the risk?

If you really like the two, then just enjoy a cigar alongside a good tea. This can make a fantastic combo, if that's your thing, without trying to make a potentially lethal drink that probably wouldn't taste good.

Feb 23rd, '10, 01:48

by s(tea)ven » Feb 23rd, '10, 01:48

I love cigars and all, but I couldn't imagine trying to drink a tobacco tea. I swallowed just a little of the juice when I tried dip once and was nauseous for a good hour. Haven't touched the stuff since, haha.

As previously mentioned, I would try and find a good tea to go along with a good cigar.

Feb 23rd, '10, 09:39

by chris&amy » Feb 23rd, '10, 09:39

Chris&am... wrote:But then if you're wrong, or someone gets their hands on something stronger, then it could be lethal. Is it really worth the risk?

If you really like the two, then just enjoy a cigar alongside a good tea. This can make a fantastic combo, if that's your thing, without trying to make a potentially lethal drink that probably wouldn't taste good.

Let me reiterate my point again.......I would never encourage anybody to do something that would hurt them. But I did offer an alternative to using cigarette tobacco. Just in case you do not know......I talked with a sales rep for Brown & Williamson tobacco in Wilson N.C several years ago and he told me that when they get the leaves from the farmers they store them in warehouses and then use a type of gas that will cause the leaf to swell double it size. Also its no secret how much more nicotine is added to the tobacco once it goes to processing. The leaf that i suggest has none of these gases or extra nicotine. I knew several farm hands that did chew this leaf and smoke and they are still living. So again i would never want anybody to hurt themselves just offer what I think would be a better choice if the person just has to try it.

Me personally I would never try it because I don't like tobacco anyway.

Thanks
Chris

Jul 14th, '10, 12:57

by TwoPynts » Jul 14th, '10, 12:57

Hrm, reading this thread makes me wonder if anyone has tried making tea with another popular smokeable product... :mrgreen:

+ Post Reply