Flushing pu erh bricks

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Flushing pu erh bricks

Postby AlTeavious » Nov 10th, '06, 07:35

I have a question about flushing when applied specifically to a piece broken of a pu erh brick. Are we just trying to flush the surface of the brick or are we trying to flush the individual leaves as well? The surface can be flushed in a few seconds bu to get to the individual leaves you would need to wait for the piece to break up and would probably loose some tea in the process. Thoughts/Suggestions?

User avatar AlTeavious
Posts: 16
Joined: Jan 22, '06
Location: Cockeysville, MD
Contact AlTeavious:

Postby MarshalN » Nov 18th, '06, 13:54

The idea is, more or less, to clean the tea a bit. If you have a whole unbroken piece.... it's a good idea usually to break it into smaller bits before brewing. After that, a 5 seconds flush is good enough.

User avatar MarshalN
Posts: 2109
Joined: Mar 15, '06
Contact MarshalN:

Postby Chip » Nov 18th, '06, 16:11

MarshalN wrote:The idea is, more or less, to clean the tea a bit. If you have a whole unbroken piece.... it's a good idea usually to break it into smaller bits before brewing. After that, a 5 seconds flush is good enough.


Hey MarshalN...welcome back stranger and resident pu-erh authority! :wink:

I know the primary purpose for flushing pu-erh is to cleanse the tea. But does it serve a second purpose to also "wake the leaves" as with oolong???

Is pu-erh also flushed with hot water as with oolong?

Chip

User avatar Chip
Mod/Admin
Posts: 22818
Joined: Apr 22, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Postby MarshalN » Nov 19th, '06, 02:09

Heh, yeah, haven't been back for a while

I think it does serve the purpose of waking the leaves. With puerh though.... there's often a lot of gunk on the leaves, so best to wash it out first.

User avatar MarshalN
Posts: 2109
Joined: Mar 15, '06
Contact MarshalN:

Postby deadfingers » Jan 29th, '07, 20:44

Hmm, so I finally got my bricks in the mail. My first infusion tends to be somewhat bitter and the latter ones tend to smooth out. I guess I should break off a piece and "flush" it for 5 seconds? then try another full infusion?

deadfingers
Posts: 99
Joined: Nov 18, '06
Location: "Land of the Morning Calm" South Korea
Contact deadfingers:

Postby bearsbearsbears » Jan 30th, '07, 10:16

deadfingers wrote:Hmm, so I finally got my bricks in the mail. My first infusion tends to be somewhat bitter and the latter ones tend to smooth out. I guess I should break off a piece and "flush" it for 5 seconds? then try another full infusion?


try more like 15-20 seconds, more if it's really compressed. 5 seconds is a bit quick. some people in Taiwan only fill their gaiwan/pot halfway full with water for the flush, and though i'm not sure why this is done, it's worth experimenting :)

User avatar bearsbearsbears
Posts: 461
Joined: Jun 15, '06
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Contact bearsbearsbears:

Postby Phyll » Jan 31st, '07, 14:16

bearsbearsbears wrote:
deadfingers wrote:Hmm, so I finally got my bricks in the mail. My first infusion tends to be somewhat bitter and the latter ones tend to smooth out. I guess I should break off a piece and "flush" it for 5 seconds? then try another full infusion?


try more like 15-20 seconds, more if it's really compressed. 5 seconds is a bit quick. some people in Taiwan only fill their gaiwan/pot halfway full with water for the flush, and though i'm not sure why this is done, it's worth experimenting :)


I've been filling my pot/gaiwan halfway for the flush -- on pu'er and oolongs. I don't see any reason why more water would affect the quality of the rinsing process. Any reason this might not be ideal?

User avatar Phyll
Posts: 86
Joined: Feb 24, '06
Location: Los Angeles

Postby bearsbearsbears » Feb 1st, '07, 04:31

Phyll wrote:I've been filling my pot/gaiwan halfway for the flush -- on pu'er and oolongs. I don't see any reason why more water would affect the quality of the rinsing process. Any reason this might not be ideal?


I dunno. I just figure the more water, the more room the tea has to unfurl and wake up, but all the teas I had washed by half did just fine, so...I have no opinion until I fiddle around with it myself!

~j

User avatar bearsbearsbears
Posts: 461
Joined: Jun 15, '06
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Contact bearsbearsbears:

Pu erh washing

Postby lebowitz » Feb 2nd, '07, 23:46

I just drink mine, never clean it, after all it is wrapped up how dirty can it be?

User avatar lebowitz
Posts: 36
Joined: Mar 23, '06
Location: Indiana, PA
Contact lebowitz:


Today's Poll



Community

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest