IngenuiTea Suggestion

Let us know if you've found the perfect product for Adagio to sell.

IngenuiTea Suggestion

Postby Dresden » Jan 31st, '10, 20:37

First off, I love my IngenuiTea and use it almost daily. There is just one thing about it that seems to get me every time I use it.

I would love to see graduations (both ml and oz) printed on the side of it. For people like me that want to measure out our water it would be really helpful.

In my case I finally broke down and took a sharpie to the side of it. It does the job, but looks kinda cheesy.

Anyways, just a though.

Mike
Dresden

Re: IngenuiTea Suggestion

Postby geeber1 » Jan 31st, '10, 21:33

Dresden - I did the same thing. Not ml or oz. though, just the amount of water I needed for my favorite mug.

I wonder if they don't put markings on the side because you would have a different amount of leaves for different types of tea, and your markings would be inaccurate because of the leaves displacing the water?
geeber1

Postby Dresden » Jan 31st, '10, 21:54

geeber1 wrote:I wonder if they don't put markings on the side because you would have a different amount of leaves for different types of tea, and your markings would be inaccurate because of the leaves displacing the water?

That is possible...

Personally I preheat the IngenuiTea and measure out my water all in one step.
Dresden

Postby beckynoel » Feb 6th, '10, 18:25

Since we are on the topic of the ingenuiTEA, I have a different complaint...

I also love this product, and it worked just fine for a while, but once I took it completely apart to thoroughly clean it, it has never really worked again! It leaks now, either a drop at a time, or a whole stream comes out. The only way I can keep it from leaking is to make sure it's perfectly dry to start with, but even then if I move it at all, bump into it or something, it leaks!

I remember reading about this problem in some of the reviews, but hoped it was an isolated thing that wouldn't happen to me.

Oh well... It was only $19.
beckynoel

Postby kymidwife » Feb 6th, '10, 19:12

I find no need to take mine apart for cleaning. I periodically soak it in baking soda and hot water to remove odors.... vinegar solution if I need to descale... and I have bleached it a few times when I wanted to just get rid of tea stains. I follow any of these cleanings with a run through the dishwasher... and it comes out crystal clean and odor-free. I've never taken mine apart, although the filter floated up once when I first got it... I just stuck it back in place and it's been fine ever since.

Sarah
kymidwife

Postby Victoria » Feb 6th, '10, 19:24

There was a video by Adagio on how to correctly take it apart for cleaning, but I can't find it now. Maybe it is just time to get a new one.

BTW - I never took mine apart either, just popped it in the dishwasher it was fine.
Victoria

Postby beckynoel » Feb 6th, '10, 20:39

Yeah, I think I may just get a new one and NEVER EVER take it apart. Vinegar and baking soda sounds like a very good idea. Unfortunately I don't have a dish washer. :cry: I'm poor.
beckynoel

Postby LauraW » Feb 6th, '10, 20:50

Legitimately, vinegar and baking soda should be fine, as long as you rinse it out thoroughly. Bleach though, I'd say stick it in the dishwasher. I've never put my IngenuiTEA in the dishwasher; I just wash it by hand.
LauraW

Postby marlena » Feb 9th, '10, 16:05

I always use baking soda and vinegar and i don't have problems. Sometimes I need to let it soak for a couple days if I have left some particularly scented tea in it - like chai or one of the Russian ones.
marlena

Postby freddy » Mar 9th, '10, 23:58

Wow, I don't seem to have any problems with my ingenuiTEA and I take it apart and hand wash it each time I use it.
freddy

Postby dsatt12 » Mar 20th, '10, 18:48

Hopefully you didn't chuck yours yet Becky...

I have the old style IngenuiTea with the permanent filter, and wanted to clean it to get rid of some of the scum that had accumulated over something like 5 years in the bottom.

I found this post trying to find instructions on how to disassemble mine; I ended up winging it. I even had the same leakage issue you did when I put it back together.

To start with, the cleaning was only a partial success anyway. Since the mesh screen won't come out, I boiled the thing in vinegar and water for a bit. I got the worst of the gunk out, and I certainly don't have worries about how sanitary it is any longer at least.

The big thing is though, when you put it back together, there is too much room under the filter to force the little rubber ball back onto the post on the hard plastic plate. The key is to 1.) put the rubber seal/o-ring thing back onto the main part of the cup 2.) force the rubber ball all the way down on the post, then 3.) gently squeeze the ball through the rubber seal. I managed it the first try without shoving the whole seal down inside there. I could then tug on the base and reseat the seal perfectly. When I just dropped the ball in and shoved the base back on, it leaked something horrible- perhaps half the amount that comes out when you depress the base like usual.

Hope this helps!
dsatt12

Postby beckynoel » Mar 21st, '10, 14:33

dsatt12,

Thank you very much for those instructions. I have tried that very same procedure VERY MANY TIMES, always with the same result. It still leaks. I have been fiddling with it for a couple of months now; trying it when everything's completely dry, completely wet, after running it under hot water, sticking it in the refrigerator.... I've taken it apart and put it back together under every circumstance imaginable, ( zero gravity may be next?...) but still there remains a constant, though slow drip...drip...drip...

I just tossed it a couple of days ago. Now I use Adagio's glass mug with the stainless steel mesh infuser. That works wonderfully! And I don't need an engineering degree to make it work. I was worried it would leave a metallic taste in my tea, but it doesn't.

Again, thanks for the help!
beckynoel

Instant Messenger

Permissions