Need help identifying a tea

For general/other topics related to tea.

Feb 3rd, '07, 18:56
Scrolling: scrolling

Need help identifying a tea

by scruffmcgruff » Feb 3rd, '07, 18:56

Hey all, I got some tea as a gift from my girlfriend a while ago, and I don't know what kind it is. I can't read the label, and it's not a type of tea I am familiar with. I don't quite know how to register it on my palate, but from what I can tell it is quite floral and a bit nutty. It is either a green tea or lightly oxidized oolong (I'm guessing the latter, but I could be wrong). Here are some pictures:

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Feb 3rd, '07, 19:51

by Warden Andy » Feb 3rd, '07, 19:51

After searching a few different Taiwanese oolongs named after mountains, I think I found that it's gao shan. The writing on the can is calligraphy, which isn't the easiest to read, but it does look like a match. http://www.panix.com/~perin/babelcarp.c ... e=gao+shan
Super elite tea facist....

Feb 4th, '07, 01:05

by scruffmcgruff » Feb 4th, '07, 01:05

Great! Thanks a bunch!

Feb 24th, '07, 00:22

by rabbit » Feb 24th, '07, 00:22

Ooh la la! That looks tasty! You didn't tell us if you liked it or not... how was the quality? Do you know where she got it? I'd like to try some.
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Feb 25th, '07, 01:07

by scruffmcgruff » Feb 25th, '07, 01:07

It's quite good-- I like it a lot. Of course, I don't know very much about oolongs so I don't have a lot to compare it to, but it's on my standard tea rotation.

She got it in Singapore (I think) while she was on vacation. I don't know the name of the store or anything, so even if you happen to live in Singapore I'm not sure you could find it. If I ever get enough experience to identify it, though, I'll definitely let you know what kind it is.
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

+ Post Reply